PDA

View Full Version : Short stature + maxi dress = no good?

theriviera
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Have any other short mamas found a maxi dress that is flattering? DH and I are going on a vacation without the kiddos to a tropical destination. I like the idea of maxi dresses for the evening but I'm short and short waisted. I'm not sure I can find something that is flattering.

Has anyone found something they like? Would love to see your ideas!

misshollygolightly
05-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I wear them and I'm pretty short (5'2"). I've bought some cute ones at various juniors departments/stores...sometimes the proportions of the junior sizes fit me better. AT Petites and AT loft petites also work well for me. I try to avoid maxi dresses with huge prints on them as they overwhelm a small frame...stick with solid colors. I also think it looks better on me to choose dresses that don't have fuller or too-flowy skirts. You can wind up with gobs of fabric and then that just looks weird.

I think this could work:
http://www.target.com/p/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Petites-Striped-Maxi-Dress-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13976201#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton
Or this:
http://www.target.com/p/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Halter-Maxi-Dress-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13932320#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

ETA: for evening, how about this
http://www.loft.com/loft/product/LOFT-Petite/LOFT-Petite-New-Arrivals/Petite-Ruched-Bodice-Maxi-Dress/282991?colorExplode=false&skuId=11585053&catid=catl000036&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600

Liziz
05-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I'll be watching this thread too, because sadly, I have not! I love the look, but I just come out looking frumpy every time I try.

ZeeBaby
05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I think PP is correct with her assessment of which maxi dresses look better on us shorties. I try to go for solids or simple patterns. I wear an 8/10 in misses, but I can usually do an 11 in Jrs, which tends to work well for me since I have slim hips.

Mom Magic
05-05-2012, 12:46 PM
This maxi from Boden comes in petite sizes and gets great reviews and is 30% off with FS/FR in 3 of the patterns. Two of the sale patterns are somewhat subtle and look pretty.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Petite-collection/WH323-PEW/Womens-Pewter-Magnolia-Favourite-Jersey-Maxi.html

Babymakes3
05-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I am 5'2 and have several maxi dresses that I think look okay! I wear them with wedges sometimes but I often just wear flip flops. Definitely stay away from large patterns, it's too much on a small frame. Also, look for slimmer fitting maxi's instead of super flowy ones. I think sometimes they even make you look taller! A few of my faves are from Forever 21, Kohls and Target.

DrSally
05-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't have one, but like the idea--would actually like to try a long, knit skirt w/tank for summer. Anyway, I agree w/pp, that smaller prints or solids, petite if they have it, and less volumnous skirts are the way to go.

secchick
05-05-2012, 05:53 PM
The Boden one upthread was my first Maxi dress purchase. I read the reviews and even ordered the regular, rather than the petite, and it hits my ankle. I am 5'4". I love it, but have been weary of the style in the past.

Twoboos
05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
The Boden one upthread was my first Maxi dress purchase. I read the reviews and even ordered the regular, rather than the petite, and it hits my ankle. I am 5'4". I love it, but have been weary of the style in the past.

This is good to know - I am thinking about ordering that Boden dress, but considering the petite. I'm 5'5", so sounds like regular would work. Thanks for the info!

ilfaith
05-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I am a shade over 5'2" and actually have the striped Target maxi dress...but in blue
http://www.target.com/OpenZoomLayer?template=scene7-image&image=Target/13972733_is&swCellSpacing=10,10&swHighlightThickness=1&swBorderThickness=0&itemTitle=Mossimo+Supply+Co.+Juniors+Striped+Maxi+ Dress+-+Assorted+Colors

I didn't order the petite. The regular size runs fairly short and I can wear it with a not-particularly-high wedge shoe.

I also have a simple black maxi...a racer back tank style (from Gap) instead of an empire waist. And I have a long sleeved maxi sweater dress (from Old Navy) for winter.

I do like maxi dresses (and long skirts too), but agree with previous posters that it is all about proportion. Nothing too big and flowing.

joules
05-06-2012, 02:21 AM

I got this one too. And it's also my first maxi dress. I'm 5'2" and the regular hits the top of my foot. I think it's super flattering. I wish they made them in more solid colors.

lmintzer
05-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I am 5'2" and have one by INC Petites that is very cute! Even the petite is a bit long, so I have to wear it with higher sandals. But it fits nicely, and I enjoy wearing it. INC usually has a dress in a similar style to this one each spring. Try Macys.com or your nearest Macys (some carry INC petites in store and some don't).

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/lmintzer/IMG_0280.jpg

(Even have a pic for you taken in a tropical destination without kids, lol.)

Babymakes3
05-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't have one, but like the idea--would actually like to try a long, knit skirt w/tank for summer. Anyway, I agree w/pp, that smaller prints or solids, petite if they have it, and less volumnous skirts are the way to go.

Target has some cute long skirts! I need to go try one on!

DrSally
05-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Lisa, doez the INC one have a built in bra, or are you wearing a strapless bra?

DrSally
05-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Target has some cute long skirts! I need to go try one on!

Will have to check those out!

lmintzer
05-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Dr. Sally--a strapless. Not the most comfortable thing, I know!

theriviera
05-06-2012, 11:09 PM
I ordered the Boden one. I'll update once it arrives!

secchick
05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I ordered the Boden one. I'll update once it arrives!

Another great thing about the Boden dress is it works great for busty girls too (currently nursing and 32F) and the straps are wide enough to cover the straps on my extremely supportive nursing bra. Braless is not exactly an option for me.

Gracemom
05-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks to this thread I bought my first maxi dress today. It was at Marshall's for $24.99, the only one in my size and has a built in bra. I NEVER thought I could wear one but I'm pleased with how it looks. I'm 5'6" but curvy so I thought it would make me look pregnant, but I don't think this one does due to not too much fabric on bottom. I think my DH will like it for date night!