PDA

View Full Version : Crap, next wknd is mother's day?

hellokitty
05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
We got rid of our cable and so I am now very out of the loop with holidays (DH works at the hospital, so not holidays off). It just dawned on me now that next wknd is mother's day. I actually hate mother's day, b/c I feel like we end up doing stuff for mil and my mom and not for me. Ugh, now I have to figure out what to do...

ArizonaGirl
05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I totally feel your pain (as evident by my post in the Lounge).

I would totally feign innocence about the fact that next weekend is Mother's Day...

"What it is Mother's Day, look how the time fly's. So caught up in everything else it completely slipped my mind." :D

mom2khj
05-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I hate Mother's Day for the exact same reason!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
while it stinks most of the time, i guess this is probably the ONE good thing about not living near any family... Mother's Day is always all about me :)

i totally forgot which day it was too. i just scheduled a 90 min massage for the Friday before, since i figured the weekend was booked up. no other big plans, just to take a break. i'd definitely be annoyed if i felt obligated to do things for my MIL or mom all weekend.

hellokitty
05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
while it stinks most of the time, i guess this is probably the ONE good thing about not living near any family... Mother's Day is always all about me :)

i totally forgot which day it was too. i just scheduled a 90 min massage for the Friday before, since i figured the weekend was booked up. no other big plans, just to take a break. i'd definitely be annoyed if i felt obligated to do things for my MIL or mom all weekend.

I know, I'm envious that my brothers live OOS, and have a convenient excuse not to be present. Unfortunately, we are an hr away from my parents and in laws in opposite directions (we are in the middle), and this is what drives me crazy is that they want us to go in two different directions, so we spend the entire wknd (if DH isn't on call, it looks like new wknd he is, so we are stuck in town). So, I guess the good thing is that since we are stuck on town, we'll just invite them over for lunch or something, and if they are too lazy to come over, then I am off the hook.

glbb35
05-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I actually feel the same way. I don't mean to be selfish I just don't care for "holidays" like this. I live near my mother and she is here all the time. We do a lot together normally. DH's b-day is on Mother's Day as it is many years like this and he gets the short end of the stick I feel. Thankfully he is like me. He would much rather skip his birthday and just be able to get himself something later down the road. I am the same for MD. I don't want to fight the crowds at a restaurant I only ask DH for one thing. That I can sleep in, read the paper and maybe drink my coffee uninterrupted. That would be truly meaningful!

My dad thinks however that I should be buying my mom something nice or taking her out and spending the day with her. Forget the fact that I am a mom.He thinks I owe her and makes me feel really guilty about it. My sister does nothing even though she lives close as well. So it falls on me. I totally hate these "holidays". My mom spends a lot of time with me and she knows how much she means to me so I don't think I need to prove it. That is for people for only show their parents appreciation one day a year! But she doesn't want to not have s story to tell her friends on how she spent the day so she will want to do something. So essentially I will skip my own MD and DH b-day and end up cleaning my house all day and having my mom and dad at least over and doting on her!

Ugh. One more thing to do...

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

ellies mom
05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
My husband and I have always worked jobs where we aren't off for holidays so they tend to sneak up on us too. My husband works from 6am until 6:30pm and then I go to work at 10pm on Mother's Days so plenty of Mom on her own with the kids time but very little "pampering mom" time. I'm sure Father's Day will follow the same schedule but since I don't know when it is, I can't tell you for sure. ;) And there is one advantage to living 600 miles away from both Grandmothers. They get a card, a gift if we can afford it and a phone call. That's it.

Anyhow, what we usually do is celebrate Mother's and Father's Day on Saturday. We may give cards on the day but any meals and such are done on different days.

swissair81
05-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I call my mother and grandmother to wish them happy mother's day. My MIL doesn't celebrate it because she's not American, and my DH is not hot on it for the same reason. So it's basically a regular day that we sometimes go out to eat on because there are good deals at fancier places. Admittedly, we are both similarly bad with each others birthdays and our anniversary (we both forgot this year).

niccig
05-06-2012, 07:40 PM
We went today for breakfast at my favourite breakfast place. Next Sunday DS and DH will be camping with DS's class, so we did it this week.

AJP
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I hear you. At least you have the DH on call as an excuse to stay home! I will spend mothers day driving 3 kids around (on my own) to visit their grandmothers (only one of which is MY mom) while DH works. I will be responsible for dragging 3 kids out to buy cards & flowers and feeling guilty again for not doing more than visiting my mom & mil while others do breakfast/lunch etc. Since i have 2 siblings with their own families and in-laws, we can never plan it. My DH will get out of work and probably grab a bunch of flowers on his way home and then crash on the couch for a while. No worries about his own mom or doing anything for me. I know he always does flowers and I appreciate that and all, but for once I'd like a day to be about me. Weather it's sleeping in, or alone time during the day or taking me out. It would be nice.

ZeeBaby
05-06-2012, 09:43 PM
DH'a mom passed. We are going to visit my mom. My sister will make dinner and SIL and my brother will come over. We are doing this Saturday. DD has swim class at 9:30 on Sunday and we need to get back home. I think I am taking Friday off from work or a half day and treat myself to a massage. Hand and Stone sent a coupon. Not fancy, but I think it will hit the spot!