PDA

View Full Version : Some people should just keep their mouths closed!

glbb35
05-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Why do some friends, acquaintances and especially strangers feel it is appropriate to just say what is on their minds? I mean this is the bitching post so we can say what is on our minds. But seriously, I have seen my share of mindless things just come rolling out of people's mouths lately. I am not perfect, not even close but I do try to think about things before I say them. I should preface this by saying we just returned home from a vacation a week ago.

Earlier in the week while registering DS1 for swim team. Neighborhood acquaintance "how nice to see you" interrupting a conversation I am having with someone else. "wow, you are so tan". Me "yes, we just got back from a vacation, this is what we were talking about". Acq. "a vacation? Must be nice to be able to just fly away on a vacation and take time for yourself!" Me, stunned "yes it was worth all the planning we did to make it possible and it has been 2 years since our last trip". Acq "well, you must be doing very well for yourself" I was so dumbfounded I just smiled and walked away. 2 years! It has been 2 years we saved up for this! Why did I have to defend myself anyway?

At DS's school the next day. Run into a mom of a friend of DS1 who I haven't seen in a while. "it is has been too long. What have you been up to? How is DS1?" Me "he is well enjoying (his sport)". Friend "so he is not playing soccer? That is a good thing he was never good at it anyway and just looked silly running back and forth" All I could think about was how she just insulted my child!

Putting gas into our vehicle which is a rather large van as our family is large. Man at the other pump "wow, it must cost you an arm and a leg to fill that sucker up?" Me, "it can add up but we love our vehicle" Man " don't you worry about how you are treating the environment? Can't you just have a smaller car?" (He has this "energy efficient" super small SUV that he can barely fit in himself let alone any family) He continues "we have this super efficient vehicle and it gets me where I need to go smartly". Me after hearing quite enough "well that is good for you, it wouldn't be good for me as I have a large family and we wouldn't fit into that thing and I do drive smartly. My commute to work is less than 1 minute, I work from home, I run all my errands on the same day I am already out so I am not out driving everyday. DH car pools the 2 days a week he has to drive, we recycle as much as we possible can, grow many of our own vegetables and try not to get in the car and drive all the time for the sake of it! How many days do you drive and how far?" Man now looking embarrassed "I drive 45 min to work 5 days a week" Me "well I guess I am the one doing more for our environment then you." Smiling as I drive away. What an ass!

and to top it off. Yesterday at a lunch with friends. Talking with 2 friends and one of their friends about family. "How are your kids?" Me " all fine and well". Acq friend "how many do you have?" Me "5" Acq friend "wow, is this your last or do you plan to have more?" (I don't even know this person) Before I can answer my friend (who is not acting very friendly at the moment) "She is done. She has plenty on her plate and she needs to not have anymore children" Really??? Who are you to talk for me on MY family? Who are you to decide what my needs are. I love my kids. They are the hardest job I have and some days I feel so overwhelmed but everyday I am so grateful for them in my life. I didn't even know how to respond. I just simply said that I am an adult who can make the best decisions for the needs of my family. Then I walked off. I would never question someone about their family like this. Or make assumptions. If I were younger I would have more. My children complete me. DH and I have done well with them and I feel a real sense of accomplishment when I look at them. I hope they will make this crazy world a better place one day. And since when is having only 2 kids the norm and anything beyond that thought of as crazy? Friend is super religious so I smirkingly said "I am fruitful and have multiplied". I didn't know what else to say. We didn't say much after that.

Ugh!!!! Ok, vent is coming to a close. I tried to talk with DH about this past week. He said I was just being too touchy-feely and to let it go. Maybe I am. I just hope I would have the smarts to not be so offense to others on the decisions they make for themselves. Thanks for listening. This is why this board is so important. Without an outlet for all the stupidity out there I think I would scream!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

wellyes
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Yikes. 5 wowzas in a row. You are due for someone to be nice to you today.

hellokitty
05-05-2012, 02:28 PM
That stinks. Maybe now you will have 5 good comments in a row. :) I do like that the car guy came around and kind of apologized for being judgemental w/o knowing your situation.

elbenn
05-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Those were some rude comments. Vent away!

Seitvonzu
05-05-2012, 02:53 PM
holymoly! i can't believe all that crazytalk you had to deal with this week. the guy at the gas station? what the heck! "i drive smartly?" who says that?

and your friend about the babies-- YIKES! but the acquaintance about your kid's soccer-- THAT TAKES THE CAKE! you don't say that about anyone's kid! my child takes ballet, and she's ...well, let's just say- its' a show.but if someone ELSE told me that? No. that's awful. that's my precious baby! she's adorable! even awkward in her ballet -- she's adorable! shut your face!

you deserve to surround yourself with nice people :) go hug all five of those beautiful children and feel proud of yourself mama!

Liziz
05-05-2012, 03:16 PM
My goodness! People are RUDE! ...but I love your comeback to the guy at the gas station....good for you for standing up for yourself and (hopefully) teaching him to think a little before he judges someone else!

TwinFoxes
05-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Ok, you live in crazy town. WTF? All of those are pretty shockingly rude.

rin
05-05-2012, 03:34 PM
How annoying! You have run into some of the rudest, most inappropriate people this past week.

I've recently been trying out a strategy one of my good friends always uses: when someone says something totally out of line, I laugh and say "what a rude/unkind/strange thing to say!". It's actually pretty effective; people often get flustered and try to backpedal, which is about the best I could hope for. Although it sounds like you handled the gas pump guy beautifully!

niccig
05-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I've recently been trying out a strategy one of my good friends always uses: when someone says something totally out of line, I laugh and say "what a rude/unkind/strange thing to say!". It's actually pretty effective; people often get flustered and try to backpedal, which is about the best I could hope for.

I love this line. OP, you need to use those on all the obnoxious people you've run into over this last week.

StantonHyde
05-05-2012, 05:31 PM
This is when you get to say "Are you trying to be rude or are you just stupid?" Good gravy!!!

Globetrotter
05-05-2012, 07:56 PM
". Friend "so he is not playing soccer? That is a good thing he was never good at it anyway and just looked silly running back and forth

:6::nono:
I am stunned by this comment. Wow. I suppose her kids are perfect.

Good for you for having the presence of mind to put that gas station guy in his place! I always have long imaginary comebacks after the fact.

"what a rude/unkind/strange thing to say

I have used that before and it catches people off guard. More often than not I get tongue tied.

glbb35
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your support! It has certainly been a week! I love, love, love the suggestion-
"when someone says something totally out of line, I laugh and say "what a rude/unkind/strange thing to say!"."

This is the perfect thing to say and something I will remember. I rarely have good comebacks when people say mean things. I wish I could think faster. Instead I sit there like deer in headlights! The only reason I had a good comeback with the gas-filling-up-the-van thing was I ran into a mean man a few years ago when I was filling up the van. This bad man made a comment then about me driving a van and even went so far as to suggest that I could have a smaller car if I didn't have so many kids. I was mad and hurt and filled out in my head what I would say if someone ever said something like that again to me. Fast forward a few years and I had the comments just awaiting!

I don't know what has gotten into people lately. DH thinks I am just too sensitive and to grow thicker skin. I told him no, that people just need to be nicer. I would never talk about other peoples kids like this so why is ok to do it to me? Maybe they truly just don't now what a$$'s they are!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

roseyloxs
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
WOW! That is quite a week. I have to admit people ask me all the time if I am done having kids and I don't find it offensive. If someone answered for me though I would be pretty PO'd. My grandma told me that she was once asked in a snotty way how many kids she planned on having. She responded, "As many as the Lord will give me!" She ended up with 8. Seven of those have had kids (2-4 per family). Holidays and weddings are a blast.

cas
05-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Putting gas into our vehicle which is a rather large van as our family is large. Man at the other pump "wow, it must cost you an arm and a leg to fill that sucker up?" Me, "it can add up but we love our vehicle" Man " don't you worry about how you are treating the environment? Can't you just have a smaller car?" (He has this "energy efficient" super small SUV that he can barely fit in himself let alone any family) He continues "we have this super efficient vehicle and it gets me where I need to go smartly". Me after hearing quite enough "well that is good for you, it wouldn't be good for me as I have a large family and we wouldn't fit into that thing and I do drive smartly. My commute to work is less than 1 minute, I work from home, I run all my errands on the same day I am already out so I am not out driving everyday. DH car pools the 2 days a week he has to drive, we recycle as much as we possible can, grow many of our own vegetables and try not to get in the car and drive all the time for the sake of it! How many days do you drive and how far?" Man now looking embarrassed "I drive 45 min to work 5 days a week" Me "well I guess I am the one doing more for our environment then you." Smiling as I drive away. What an ass!

That is awesome! You are my new hero! If I were in the same situation I wouldn't have thought of something to say until I was half way home. Well done!:cheerleader1: