PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read - 3 Ways to Lower Risk of Autism

Melbel
05-05-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=253469

While there is not hard scientific data to back up this approach, it seems to make sense. At a minimum, it can't hurt, and might help. Here are three things Dr. Berger checks and corrects BEFORE pregnancy:

#1 NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES:

Including Iron, B-vitamins, Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin D levels.

Dr. Berger says low levels of vitamin D in the mother have been linked to delayed language development and weaker immune systems.

#2 THYROID HEALTH:

Untreated Hypothyroidism is a known cause of developmental delays in children.

#3 TOXINS:

Including pesticides, lead, and mercury, which have been linked to learning disorders.

For moms like Orel, the early testing motivated her to make changes. "Mentally, it gives me peace of mind and physically my pregnancy is a lot easier. I don't feel drained or tired and I feel like I have good energy, and that's an important factor," she says.

Many researchers suspect autism may have genetic and environmental triggers.

Based upon our experience, I would add to the list having the mom tested for Lyme disease if there are any symptoms (migraines, joint pain, autoimmune disorders, etc.).

ETA: In no way is this thread intended to suggest that any mom of an autistic child did something "wrong" (just like I did not do anything "wrong" by passing on Lyme to my child/children considering I had no idea whatsoever that I had the disease). It may be something for those who are planning future pregnancies to consider.