PDA

View Full Version : Need Inexpensive, Nutritious Non-Perishable Fruit

Puddy73
05-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I just took over as the buyer for our local community food bank. It is relatively small, serving about 120 families per month. Each family gets a basket with approximately enough food for nine meals plus some snack/specialty items and household products (toilet paper, detergent, toiletries, diapers). We have a freezer and refrigerator but they are mostly used for eggs, frozen OJ, milk and pizza (local pizza places give us their mistakes and unclaimed pizzas). Since our number of families varies from week to week and due to costs, we don't give out much fresh fruit or veggies. We seldom need to buy canned veggies or beans because they are popular food drive items, but we need non-perishable fruits. The previous buyer usually bought canned peaches or applesauce. I know not everyone likes prunes, but would raisins be a better choice? Any other tips for healthy extreme bargain shopping? I'm not much of a couponer, but I'm willing to try. We rely exclusively on donations and our budget is tight.

blisstwins
05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I cannot really answer your questions, but raisins are high in iron and I think more people like them than prunes.

KpbS
05-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Applesauce or peaches definitely are your most economical buys and probably the most popular as well. Pineapple and pears are somewhat more expensive but could be good for variety if you could swing it. Raisins are ok but are pretty hard on teeth as they are sugary and sticky. I like prunes but I think many adults won't touch them.

waitingforgrace
05-05-2012, 11:10 PM
I think raisin and dried cranberries are great options. Really any dried fruit such as banana chips would be good. Not sure about the cost or a good source for them though.

crl
05-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't know that they would donate, but you could always approach the freeze dried fruit companies.

Catherine

kijip
05-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Canned pineapple is a big hit at our food bank and there are many no sugar added versions. Applesauce is great as well.

Do you have a CSA or farmer's market nearby? Many donate their unsold or unpicked up product to food banks.

Also, it never hurts to list "most needed items" when you do a drive and list canned fruit and protein which will encourage people to shop for those. So many people only think to buy veggies but if asked for something else they will shift their donation painlessly.

gatorsmom
05-06-2012, 09:49 PM
What about canned mandarin oranges? My kids won't eat canned fruit but LOVE mandarin oranges.

Katigre
05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Can you do frozen fruits? That is what we do for 'non-perishables' at our house b/c it is the most economical.