PDA

View Full Version : Camping - need to cook breakfast for 50 people

niccig
05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
For our camping trip with DS's class, we're assigned to Sunday breakfast with 3 other families. We have to make enough for 50 people on camp stoves and take all the food on Friday. We could go and get something Saturday as near a grocery store. I won't be there, so DH is helping out with other families - so far DH's idea is for me to get up really early on Sunday and drive out there with krispy kremes for everyone - not doing that.

misshollygolightly
05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Do you have refrigeration? Scrambled eggs cooked w/ crumbled sausage would be easy.

niccig
05-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Do you have refrigeration? Scrambled eggs cooked w/ crumbled sausage would be easy.

Coolers with ice. I told DH he'll need to get more ice on the Saturday.

endlessheather
05-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I would say scrabbled eggs if you want to cook. If you are looking for non-cooking options we used to do large groups camping and have a bunch of those small cereal boxes, milk, yogurts, granola, small muffins or breakfast rolls and fresh fruit set up. It was more like a buffet type of thing so works out well for large groups.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I've taken scrambled eggs already scrambled in a rubbermaid container ready to pour into pans. SO very easy.

blisstwins
05-06-2012, 07:12 PM
ALl I can say is that this sounds like a nightmare. We are city folk, though.

niccig
05-06-2012, 07:36 PM
ALl I can say is that this sounds like a nightmare. We are city folk, though.

Yes it is a nightmare.

Everyone has great ideas - i think the individual cereal, muffins is the way to go. I did suggest bagels and one parent said how do you toast them - I said they don't have to be toasted. But turns out our coleman stove has 1 burner and 1 grill. DH could be in charge of toasting the bagels on the grill section for those that want toasted. Then have fixings of cream cheese, slices of ham, turkey, smoked salmon, slice of tomato, and some jam. Have some fruit and they're good.

2 other parents have restaurants, so I am hoping they come up with idea and organize it.

Tondi G
05-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I would do Bagels, muffins, biscuits .... bagel fixens: cream cheese, sliced tomato, red onion, not sure I would even bother with Lox. Butter and Jam/jelly for the biscuits. Fruit salad, juice and coffee. If you want some protein maybe purchase some precooked sausages and just heat and eat.

elephantmeg
05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
little smokies roasted over the fire are awesome. We eat them with scrambled eggs or cereal etc

Momit
05-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Maybe either a bircher muesli that someone mixes up the day before, or a muesli bar with large tubs of yogurt and mix-ins like granola, raisins, grapes, apples, bananas, nuts (or not if there are allergies).

Or those huge Costco muffins from Costco cut in halves or quarters, plus a fruit salad.

The other thing that goes great with camping breakfasts is SPAM!

Penny's Pappa
05-06-2012, 11:06 PM
You can't go wrong with bacon and eggs. Heck, I don't even know if you could call it a real camping trip if you didn't have it.

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

anonomom
05-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Looks like you have a plan already, but I can't resist one more suggestion: pancakes! They make this batter that comes in a can like whipped cream. I think the pancakes are a little too airy, but everyone else I know who's tried them raves. You simply spray it onto the griddle. No muss, no fuss, and (most importantly) no work.

Here's the website, so you know what it looks like: http://www.batterblaster.com/

niccig
05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
You can't go wrong with bacon and eggs. Heck, I don't even know if you could call it a real camping trip if you didn't have it.

I agree with you. Apparently on last year's trip, one of the dad's was making bacon for hours as it was taking forever on the little camping stoves. So, I don't think anyone is up for it this year.

niccig
05-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Looks like you have a plan already, but I can't resist one more suggestion: pancakes! They make this batter that comes in a can like whipped cream. I think the pancakes are a little too airy, but everyone else I know who's tried them raves. You simply spray it onto the griddle. No muss, no fuss, and (most importantly) no work.

Here's the website, so you know what it looks like: http://www.batterblaster.com/

I haven't seen that.

We have something in Australia that makes pancakes so easy for this kind of thing. It's a plastic jug with the dry ingredients and you just add oil and milk I think, put the lid on and shake to combine. Then you pour straight from the jug - no mixing bowl, spoons, whisks required. I've never seen anything like that here. http://www.freedomfoods.com.au/OUR-FOODS/Freedom-Foods/Bakery---Spreads/176.aspx

dogmom
05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I used to go to a huge camping event every year. One year some people invited us to "doughnut" morning at camp. She had dozens of cans of refrigerator biscuits and a cast iron skillet. She took the biscuit dough and stretch it out a bit, putting whole in the middle and fried them up in some vegetable oil. The her husband had some powder sugar/milk glaze he just drizzle on them. I have no idea how many she made, but they were so easy and so good all nice and warm like that.

anonomom
05-07-2012, 08:57 AM
I haven't seen that.

We have something in Australia that makes pancakes so easy for this kind of thing. It's a plastic jug with the dry ingredients and you just add oil and milk I think, put the lid on and shake to combine. Then you pour straight from the jug - no mixing bowl, spoons, whisks required. I've never seen anything like that here. http://www.freedomfoods.com.au/OUR-FOODS/Freedom-Foods/Bakery---Spreads/176.aspx

Bisquik sells mix like this. Usually it's on the bottom shelf of the pancake mix section.