PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switch to iphone 4s from large screen android?

newmomto1
05-06-2012, 09:31 PM
If so....what are your thoughts?
Do you miss the larger screen?
And how do you feel about using ios after being an android user?
I am considering making the change....would love to your feedback!
Thx!
:)

newmomto1
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Anyone????
:BUMP:

codex57
05-07-2012, 05:48 PM
BIL did. But he had an older phone. He does miss the larger screen, but it's not the end of the world. He LOOOOVVEEESSS the battery life, but newer Android phones are better than the phone he had.

In the end, it's about the Apple ecosystem. His house already had Apple products in it. The iPhone just adds to that even more so his kids are thrilled so he's ultimately happy with the decision. Maybe not over the moon, but in his case, the pros outweigh the cons.

He himself isn't into apps and if his kids weren't into it, I don't think he'd be as happy with the tradeoffs.

Jacksmommy2b
05-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I traded in my EVO 3d for a Iphone 4s.

It lasted a month and I jumped through hoops to get my EVO back.

The screen size drove me batty. I do almost all my library reading through overdrive on my phone. The tiny screen was a massive pain in the butt as I was trying to read. I also do the majority of my web surfing, newspaper reading, facebooking, navigation etc. from my phone.

On my droid, it auto adjusts any web page to fit to screen when I enlarge the text size. The iphone didn't and it made me crazy. Iphone has ireader (or something like that) that makes a web article fit to screen but it doesn't work on most pages.

You have to download a navigation app to get voice directions on the iphone. I much preferred the navigation on the droid.

DH and I have synced google calenders. I don't live by the calender but it was really nice to have a reminder of his schedule at my fingertips and it kept him up to date on kids stuff too.

Also, you have to pay for EVERYTHING on the iphone. On my droid I can download the free app 'ring droid' and any song I already bought I can cut and turn into a ring tone for my phone. I had to pay for i ring tones. There are always free apps through amazon for my droid and I can usually get a free version of apps you have to pay for on iphone. (like angry birds)

And speaking of apps - anything over a certain size you have to download through the computer. I thought that was really annoying as well. I have yet to not be able to download an app on the droid.

You also have a limited amount of storage on the iphone. It only cost me a $30 micro card to add 32 GB of storage to my droid when I needed it.

I did love the call quality of the iphone, which was certainly superior to the droid. I found the camera to be superior as well. I also loved having the ipod I was used to on me all the time. (but it really doesn't take much to put my itunes on the droid) Siri was a cool feature, but not something I found myself using all the time. (It also told me it wasn't available fairly often.) The I phone App store is much better stocked than droid, but it is catching up. I also found the iphone much more comfortable to hold and use - but I guess that is the trade off for a bigger screen. I also loved the crazy quantity of Iphone accessories. Icloud is really awesome. I loved that any picture I took was automatically on my computer. And that rocked.

I really think it boils down to: are you a droid person or an iphone person?

I'm sure I would have loved the iphone if I had it first, but there was just too much I missed about my droid to keep it.

hellokitty
05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
My friend's husband recently switched from an older android to the newest iphone. She makes it sound as if he loves it so much, he humps it, lol.

larig
05-07-2012, 06:25 PM
And speaking of apps - anything over a certain size you have to download through the computer. I thought that was really annoying as well. I have yet to not be able to download an app on the droid.

I really think it boils down to: are you a droid person or an iphone person?

itunes music store has recently changed the policy about what you can download over data networks. I can't link to the story now, but I'll try to come back and do it later (if my brain remembers...)

and I'd :yeahthat: the question she asked, almost... if you're an apple person I'd say you'd might be happy with an iPhone. if you're not, stick with a droid.

newmomto1
05-07-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't know if I am an apple person or a droid person
:confused:
I have had an Evo for almost 2 years. I am so sick of it!
Loved it at first....but that was coming from a blackberry.
I am so sick of it freezing up, and apps force closing.
DH has an iphone and thinks its the best.
DD and DS have itouches.
I guess I think it would be convenient if we all had the same thing.
My biggest concern is that I will miss the large screen. And, as someone else mentioned I do love that that when browsong the web page will resize itself to fit the screen...love that.
But, I like the fact that DHs iphone just seems to "work" all the time, He doesn't seem to have issues like I do.

infomama
05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
We are becoming an Apple family but I still chose a Droid because of the screen size. DH is holding out for Apple to make the iPhone screen larger but I dont think his phone is going to last. I really like google maps, too.

larig
05-08-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't know if I am an apple person or a droid person
:confused:
I have had an Evo for almost 2 years. I am so sick of it!
Loved it at first....but that was coming from a blackberry.
DH has an iphone and thinks its the best.
DD and DS have itouches.
I guess I think it would be convenient if we all had the same thing.
My biggest concern is that I will miss the large screen. And, as someone else mentioned I do love that that when browsong the web page will resize itself to fit the screen...love that.
But, I like the fact that DHs iphone just seems to "work" all the time, He doesn't seem to have issues like I do.

there are definite advantages to all of you using the same OS. For example, iMessage is great--our family uses it all the time (my parents, DH, me...). I can be on my computer or iPhone and iMessage him on his phone and iPad (it goes to both). Then there's FaceTime, which has been really awesome with my parents. FindMyFriends is great for keeping track of where someone is--I used it to watch my parents travel back to IL from AZ last week. Certainly there are apps that allow you to do this between droids and iOS devices, but since you already have 3 iOS devices it would be easy to have this all up and running.

Most importantly, however is that you can all share an iTunes music/app store account. Then you only have to buy apps once. If you and DH are on different platforms you'll often have to buy things twice.

As for the apps and the cost of them, well, my husband's a software developer and all of those apps in the app stores were written by people like him. Their time is worth something, so if I like an app, I certainly don't mind spending .99 or 5 or 10 dollars on it. Sure, I like bargains, but I don't mind paying someone for helping my life be a little more fun, or organized,...That said, there are many many apps in the app store and most are pretty darned cheap. I've never felt ripped off paying for an app that I've taken the time to research.

BUT, I've never had a droid. I've played with my FIL's (he's always got the latest greatest droid phone). I don't like the large screens, because I have small hands. I typically use my 4s one handed, and couldn't manage with any bigger screen width-wise. (I'd actually be disappointed if apple made bigger phones). And we're heavily invested in the apple ecosystem in this house, so I'm totally and admittedly biased.

Could you trade phones with your DH for a day and see how you like it?

okinawama
05-08-2012, 07:47 AM

For me, this was the reason I switched to an iphone. My droid was CONSTANTLY freezing (at the end, I couldn't even answer calls, when I'd go to slide the touch screen to answer the call, the phone would freeze every.single.time.) My apps were constantly force closing and overall I felt the phone was just glitchy. There are many things that I miss about the DROID, but overall I just feel that the apple phone and their apps are more reliable.

newmomto1
05-08-2012, 04:56 PM
For me, this was the reason I switched to an iphone. My droid was CONSTANTLY freezing (at the end, I couldn't even answer calls, when I'd go to slide the touch screen to answer the call, the phone would freeze every.single.time.) My apps were constantly force closing and overall I felt the phone was just glitchy. There are many things that I miss about the DROID, but overall I just feel that the apple phone and their apps are more reliable.

I know...a couple times I have needed to make a call and I get a message that the app (meaning my PHONE/Dailer) is force closing. I have to remove the battery and reboot.
SUCH A PAIN!
But, I do love that big screen :cry:

Jacksmommy2b
05-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I was thinking more about it last night. :)

We also have 2 ipod touches, an old mac desktop and an ipad. I adore the ipod touches but I love them in addition to my phone - if that makes any sense.

Apple stuff is awesome, I just couldn't get past the small screen and the web page sizing issues. But, I think that is because I use my phone for almost all my recreational reading, emailing, and web surfing. (even BBB'ing!) If you don't do a lot of reading or web surfing it probably won't be as big a thing for you. If you mainly do texts and calls an iphone may be just what you are looking for.

I bought the iphone when Sprint released it back in Oct? Nov? 2011 and at that time you had to plug into the computer for the majority of app downloads (or at least what I tried to download) and you also had to be on a wifi network to video chat. I have a bunch a friends with iphones and never video chatted anyone. I believe you can video chat with the 3d too, but I have never bothered.

I had the regular EVO for about a year and upgraded to the 3D. I don't ever use the 3D feature but I like the layout and system of the 3d much better than the regular Evo. I think it is more user friendly.

I also have the additional insurance on my phone. (I think it is like $4 a month?) It is so worth it to me. I have a tendency to be rather hard on electronics and like having the option to pass it off to one of the kids without worry. If my phone acts up or gets damaged I just walk into my local sprint store and have it fixed or replaced for free. I have never had a problem having the phone serviced or replaced.

(My husband upgraded to the 3D when I did and has never needed to have his phone serviced or replaced and he works a physically demanding job.)

I have heard HTC has another gen EVO set to be released over the summer. (and I know the new samsung droid/tablet hybrid is super popular!)

I *think* iphone isn't 4g yet either. I really love how fast my 4g is too!

Are you with Sprint? I *believe* you can upgrade to the iphone and you have 14 days to decide if you love it or not. :) Again *I think* you may have to pay a restocking fee if you decide not to keep the iphone - but it might be a good investment if you are really on the fence. (I ended up selling my phone privately as I was out of the 'love it or return it' period. )

cuca_
05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I just switched to an iPhone from a Droid (not a big screen one though). So far I am loving the iPhone, but it has only been two days. My Droid died, and we have apple everything, so I did not think it made sense to get another Droid.

DH and I have synced google calenders. I don't live by the calender but it was really nice to have a reminder of his schedule at my fingertips and it kept him up to date on kids stuff too.

BTW, I also use google calendars, and this was one of the few reservations I had about the iPhone. However, the salesman at Verizon hooked my google calendar to the iPhone, so this is the calendar I see when I go into the calendar application. It also transferred all my google contacts into the new phone.

AnnieW625
05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I initially started looking at Droid phones a year ago and I thought they were just too big to handle talking on the phone with. I wasn't 100% sold on the Iphone 4 either at the time, but then the 4s came out and I was able to get it for $99 and I have been very happy with it. The screen is a little small, but I am fine with it.

App wise we mainly play games, I use itunes for music, and I use it at work for typing and email. I don't care for google maps at all so if we have to we just use our Garmin.

All providers give you 14 days to try the phone out.