PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this Plan Toys wooden railroad set? Better than plastic Thomas set?

citymama
05-07-2012, 03:23 AM
My MIL bought DD2 this Plan Toys wooden train set (http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Toys-0620700-PlanToys-Road/dp/B001B9L61Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336374377&sr=8-3) for her 2nd birthday. I still have the gift receipt although the toy store is an hour away. We haven't opened it yet. We already have the plastic Thomas tracks and trains set (http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friends-160-Piece-Ultimate-Train/dp/B000EYF6ME/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1336375460&sr=1-2), received as a hand-me-down (I don't think it's the full set I linked to, but maybe about 50 items). DD2 likes playing with the Thomas set if it's assembled for her, but it's still a little complicated for DD2 to assemble herself. Do you think I should return the Play Toys wooden train set, or is it going to be a different experience/more age appropriate for a 2 yr old? In general, most of our toys are wooden, so the Plan Toys trains would certainly fit better with our play room and toy collection. I'm not crazy about Thomas but I also don't want to replicate toys unnecessarily. WWYD?

ETA Were any of the plastic Thomas'es recalled, or just the wooden sets? Our HMD set is about 5-6 years old.

swrc00
05-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I believe only the wooden Thomas was recalled. I would keep the Plan set. DS has a couple of wooden Thomas sets and Geotrax. Since he was 1.5 the wooden Thomas has gotten more play than the Geotrax. I really don't think it has anything to do with it being Thomas. I think the wooden pieces are easier to connect.

citymama
05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Thank you for the feedback!

jerigirl
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
IMO I would keep the wood set. I think you will have more options with it. It is compatable with most other wooden sets. The plastic set is limited.

citymama
05-07-2012, 01:21 PM
IMO I would keep the wood set. I think you will have more options with it. It is compatable with most other wooden sets. The plastic set is limited.

Thank you!

citymama
05-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Last call for additional opinions - I have 4 days left before my gift receipt expires! ;)

larig
05-09-2012, 04:47 AM
wooden, definitely. (FWIW, I didn't think I liked Thomas either, but now I'm totally hooked. We have so many pieces and destinations and can make some pretty cool layouts, it's a blast).

roseyloxs
05-09-2012, 05:11 AM

:yeahthat: I avoided the plastic sets just for this reason. We have some wooden sets from Thomas, Target brand, plan toys, ikea, and a couple of other randoms. They aren't a perfect fit but they are compatible and my ds has no problem putting the different brands together.

I would put the plastic set up on craigslist and start expanding the wooden set.

TwoBees
05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I can't comment on that particular set, but my brother and I had Brio wood railroad sets when we were young (so about 20 years ago) and we played with them endlessly. My daughter is now playing with them. :D My vote is to keep the wood set.

citymama
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
We set up the Plan Toys set today and it's frickin' adorable! The plastic Thomas will get some love, I'm sure, but DD2 is really into the wooden set. Thanks so much for helping this indecisive mama!

PS I'm hoping the ikea trains are compatible with this because that's sn inexpensive way to add to the wooden set.

jerigirl
05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
We set up the Plan Toys set today and it's frickin' adorable! The plastic Thomas will get some love, I'm sure, but DD2 is really into the wooden set. Thanks so much for helping this indecisive mama!

PS I'm hoping the ikea trains are compatible with this because that's sn inexpensive way to add to the wooden set.

YAY! Glad you like it!

Gena
05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
We love all of our wooden train sets (multiple brands), so I think that's always a good choice.

But FYI, your plastic Thomas set is totally compatible with the Tomica trains, which are available at TRU. It's exactly the same track, by the same company.

http://www.tomica-usa.com/products

edurnemk
05-10-2012, 10:52 PM

:yeahthat: We have that Plan Toys set, as well as Thomas and Imaginarium sets, they're all compatible, and DS has been playing with them since 2 yo or before.