PDA

View Full Version : Took the girls to the dentist

MamaMolly
05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
And they behaved beautifully, but Lula's teeth are a hot mess. I'm so sad for her. I feel so guilty, even though we brush and floss. :(

AnnieW625
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Bummer. A lot of the times it is hereditary so you have done nothing wrong. Both of my girls are going to need braces and DD2 hasn't even been to the dentist, and I just know it already.

scrooks
05-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I agree with Annie...you cannot control it all. DD sucks her thumb so we have been anticipating braces for her all along...witsh DS he has never sucked his thumb or used a pacifier. I took him for the first time in March and surprise! His overbite is worse than DD's. Do not beat youself up about it!

MamaMolly
05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh believe me, I'd love it to only be genetics or bad luck. I can't help but kick myself. Because of DH's job, we chose to live overseas for several years where all our drinking and cooking water was distilled. And because I am a paranoid doo-doo head I thought I knew better than the dentist and didn't give her the fluoride drops like I was supposed to. And here we are, looking at many, many cavities. It is so not fair to her. :( :( :(

Genetics do play a role, DH and I both have dental issues. But much of this could be avoided and I just feel terrible about it.

Katigre
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
(((((((((hugs))))))) Moving forward you can make different choices and help strengthen her teeth, and given her age the majority of issues are likely in baby teeth so don't have to be lifelong issues.

I'd get the ACT Fluoride rinse and use it each night, and add xylitol gum during the day. FWIW, we just got DS a Sonicare kids toothbrush and he loves it and we get next to no junk out with flossing since getting it (and he tolerates it far better than a manual toothbrush, ironically).

KpbS
05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm sorry! Hopefully some are baby teeth and will be replaced by adult teeth soon. :hug:

lmh2402
05-07-2012, 11:37 PM
But much of this could be avoided and I just feel terrible about it.

there's no way to be totally sure of that! try not to beat yourself up!! also, it's not like you weren't giving her the fluoride b/c you just didn't feel like it or were lazy - you deliberately and lovingly made a choice you thought was best for her health.

i'm so sorry for your little girl - and for how badly your feeling. but as pps said - hopefully we're talking all baby teeth and her adult teeth will not have these issues. big, big hugs, mama. :hug: :hug: