PDA

View Full Version : Best lunch container for a Kindergartener

wendibird22
05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
DD1 is going to K in September. DH (a teacher) is already starting to prep her (casually) for the changes she'll encounter at K...like lunchtime. So yesterday he packed her a lunch in one of our lunchboxes so that at lunch time at home she could practice doing it all herself...the straw in her juice box, her sandwich container, etc. Well, she couldn't get the sandwich container open (a rubbermade kind) nor could she peel the plastic off her fruit cup. So DH and I are thinking about what to send her lunch items packed in and also wanting to keep our eyes pealed for sales during the summer.

What is the best lunch and/or sandwich containers for small kids? Should we just do ziplock bags? And what fits well in typical lunch boxes? Some seem so long (the bento style) or bulky (the cube shapes) that I'm concerned about sandwich, drink, fruit, etc all fitting in the lunch bag.

katydid1971
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I like the regular ziploc containers. I know that others here don't like plastic but this is "safe plastic" (if there really is such a thing). I tried some metal ones at the store and I had a hard time opening them up. I also like that with the ziploc containers I can choose what size I need more easily. DS is very good about bringing them home for me to wash. I also have a couple of sandwich boxes that came from the dollar section at target. They have held up very well and even my preschooler can open them without a problem.
ziploc container: http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx?SizeName=Extra%20Smal l%20Bowl
sandwich holder--I noticed them at Target recently: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051X948K/ref=asc_df_B0051X948K2006009?smid=ADNX8INC5EPR3&tag=nextagusmp0355915-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B0051X948K

eno0609
05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
DD has used lunchbots http://www.lunchbots.com/ with no problems opening them since starting JK last year (she was almost 4). Her school requests lunches be as litterless as possible, so we don't use juice boxes, she uses her Thermos funtainer water bottle. She also uses containers like these when we need something water-tight:

http://lifewithoutplastic.com/boutique/stainless-steel-airtight-watertight-food-storage-containerlunch-box-8-cm-3-p-201.html

AnnieW625
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
We use ziploc baggies or a Sistema Klip It container. I also like the 1/2 cup Gladware containers, and the 1/2 cup Tupperware containers. We don't use them often for lunches, but yeah the Gerber bowls rock! Depending on what goes on sale I might pick up a Tupperware lunch container for next year. We use a Funtainer for hot items, and a Funtainer water bottle. DD1 usually brings everything home with her.

We have used a Princess lunch box, and a Land Ends Study Haul lunch box this year. They both work fine, but the Lands End has gotten really dirty as it is pink and grey. I am hoping to find a pink and black lunch sack for next year. A few of the kids in DD1's class have the Pack It! and they seem to like it.

I don't think my DD1 would like a Planet Box, it is just not her style, and honestly we are not that organized to have lunch planned or packed the night before.:bag

Also Ziploc makes recyclable ziploc bags now.

citymama
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
DD1 started K last Fall. She has an easy to zip open Garnet Hill lunch box - I love it because it zips all the way open, unlike our LE lunch box which only opens at the top.

We usually pack her a hot lunch - she is not a cold sandwich girl. We absolutely love the Foogoo Thermos lunch containers (http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Foogo-Leak-Proof-Stainless-10-Ounce/dp/B000O3GCFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411545&sr=8-1) - they're at a great price at amazon.com right now. DD is pretty good at opening it, but keep in mind there will be lunch room assistants who can help her, as DD sometimes needs help with just about any container. On the rare occasions we do a sandwich, we just wrap it in tin foil.

For snack, we use these Gerber Nuk containers (http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Graduates-Free-Bunch-A-Bowls-Colors/dp/B000RFC3BM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411648&sr=8-2) that can carry just the right amount of pretzels or orange slices or whatever it is she is taking that day.

I would recommend not going crazy and buying many lunch box options (especially complex or expensive ones) now. Try one kind, if it doesn't work, only then think about replacing it (perhaps based on what's working for her friends who sit and eat lunch with her). It's kind of like overbuying baby gear before the baby arrives.

Kindra178
05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I think it's awesome that your dh thought of practicing to eat lunch from a lunch box ahead of time. DS1 has never done that before and it was really hard for him. I will definitely do that for the twins. Thanks for the great idea.

Our school encourages zero waste lunches. They even have contests every month to see which class throws away the least trash. The winning class gets a lunchbox trophy to keep in the classroom. So Ziploc bags are not an option for us.

DS1 uses a Planetbox. It's so easy to open and close, easy to clean (throw right in the dishwasher and no lids to find) and easy packing. Downsides: (1) expensive; (2) probably too big for k'er lunch; (3) the only box that fits it is its own branded lunch bag and (4) heavy. That thing is indestructible though. The branded insulated lunch bag has held up really well. We will definitely get another school year out of it. The stainless steel part will literally last forever.

We tried the Lunchbots stainless containers and they are not easy to open and close (well, some are and some aren't). Ecolunch Boxes 3 in 1 are pretty cool. I do think they are way easier to open and close than Lunchbots. I often pack my lunch in these:

http://www.amazon.com/ECOlunchbox-Three-in-One/dp/B0040MH642/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411488&sr=8-4

Ziploc makes a divided container with three sections that is easy enough to open. We use them for picnics or travel. I do worry about plastic so I feel much more comfortable using a stainless steel container for every day use.

DS1 will take a Thermos of mac n cheese in a funtainer thermos every now and again. He will take the LE Study Haul lunch bag on those days. That's a great lunch bag and can fit a ton of things. It clips to the coordinating backpack. It takes practice, at least it did for DS1. I like how it has a separate zippered area to store snacks and perfect for when DS1 stays after school for chess.

zukeypur
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
W use an older laptop lunch that fits perfectly in the gap lunch boxes. I open her orange cup slightly and drain the juice before putting it in her lunch box, along with a juice box, some carrot sticks, and a dinosaur shaped PB&J. She eats the same thing every day, except on Friday which is lunchable day.

crl
05-07-2012, 02:30 PM
The planet box is very easy to open and will last forever. I also like that you open one lid and see the entire lunch. I think many kids get busy chatting and rushing through lunch to get to recess and never even open up all their containers. Also not so many separate pieces, etc to lose. It is quite pricey though, so it is a big upfront investment.

Catherine

kristac
05-07-2012, 03:16 PM
We use the ziploc divided containers- We got them at Target for $4/2 or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Container-Divided-Rectangle-2-Count/dp/B003U6DJ90/ref=pd_sim_hg_56

These are the same idea- nicer plastic, less leak proof:
http://www.amazon.com/EasyLunchboxes-3-compartment-Containers-BPA-Free-Easy-Open/dp/B004UIRUJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336418092&sr=8-1

Maxlee
05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
My girls In Kindergarten and preschool both use the lanet box and love it. It is on the heavy side especially w/ a funtainer

KrisM
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
The planet box is very easy to open and will last forever. I also like that you open one lid and see the entire lunch. I think many kids get busy chatting and rushing through lunch to get to recess and never even open up all their containers. Also not so many separate pieces, etc to lose. It is quite pricey though, so it is a big upfront investment.

Catherine

Mine both use Laptop Lunchboxes, but I picked them for the same reason as above. I like that they open one box and eat. They have zero waste, so no wasted time throwing things away. Trust me, it can take a kindergartener 2 minutes to walk 10 feet to the garbage and back!

I don't send the little things of fruit. When I help in the cafeteria, I find none of the kindergarteners can open them. Many can't do yogurt, cheese sticks, chip bags, etc. I don't send anything that needs opening, other than the lunch box.

new_mommy25
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
DD is also in K. She has a LE lunch bag and I've never had a problem fitting her lunch items in. I pack her things in a combination of lock&lock containers, Thermos Funtainer and Fit n' Fresh containers. She can open all easily. The bonus of the F&F is that you can add in an ice pack–I use these for fruit/veggies. I use the Funtainer for hot items. I temper the Funtainer by pouring boiling water heated in the micro and letting it sit for 5 minutes with the lid on. Then I pour out the water and do a quick wipe with a towel and it's nice and hot. I put her drink in a Rubbermaid litterless juice box. It's just the right size and has never leaked. I just pack water as DD does not request milk and she can purchase a cold milk if she chooses (I pre-load money into her account so she can buy lunch). I also have the ziploc divided containers that others have mentioned and occaisonally use those, but not as often. I prefer separate containers because sometimes things leak,etc. I also have a container with a pod inside for dip (DD likes chives n onion cream cheese with her veggies) but I don't know the brand.

Also, I'll add that this will be the third year that I'll be using the FnF containers and so far they have held up really well! I expect the same with the lock&lock because they are a thick, strong plastic.

I've tried doing the Laptop lunch and my kids hated it. They both had a hard time opening it. I use it for myself but mostly it sits unused. I also done bento style boxes in the past when I packed for DD's preschool. We both liked those and I would do them again if I had them. I try to just use what I have on hand and maybe will purchase again down the line when I need new containers.

I bought the lock&lock and FnF containers from Ross for cheap. The lock&lock were recommended to me here on BBB and I really like them.
http://www.organize.com/6pclunchset.html (this is one of the sets I have)
http://www.fit-fresh.com/landing_kids.php (I have 1-cup and 2-cup)
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodontheGo/beverageContainers?productId=10016331

Kindra178
05-07-2012, 03:29 PM
and a Land Ends Study Haul lunch box this year. They both work fine, but the Lands End has gotten really dirty as it is pink and grey. .

Have you tried machine washing it? DS1's LE backpack and lunchbox are orange, off white and gray and they both wash beautifully. I wash it on delicate but I honestly don't think I need to do so. He will certainly get another year out of it, and maybe two if the size of the StudyHaul works for a second grader (may not with winter gear).

elephantmeg
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
they have lunch ladies at DS' school that open applesauce cups, yogurt sticks etc

KHF
05-07-2012, 03:34 PM
We use a few different Lock & Lock containers. Mostly just the sandwich square and some round or rectangular boxes for fruit. We have also occasionally used the Ziploc Twist containers. Those are easier for DD to open than the ones that pull off. We also use a small Thermos to send mac & cheese, ravioli, etc. sometimes.

AnnieW625
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
....... I try to just use what I have on hand and maybe will purchase again down the line when I need new containers.

I bought the lock&lock and FnF containers from Ross for cheap. The lock&lock were recommended to me here on BBB and I really like them

Costco had a Snapware set like that a couple of years ago. I use it for my own lunches and really like it. DD1 has a pretty small appetite right now, but in the future I know they will prove to be useful.

Have you tried machine washing it? DS1's LE backpack and lunchbox are orange, off white and gray and they both wash beautifully. I wash it on delicate but I honestly don't think I need to do so. He will certainly get another year out of it, and maybe two if the size of the StudyHaul works for a second grader (may not with winter gear).

Thanks for the rec., no we have not washed it yet. I had read some post here that someone's shredded (Nicci?) so I have been hesitant to do so. Quality wise it will last at least another year if not two, it is just the fabric that is very filthy. DD1 needs to take snacks for daycare so the Study Haul is a good size. Do you wash with other items?

KrisM
05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
they have lunch ladies at DS' school that open applesauce cups, yogurt sticks etc

Ours does too, but with 100 kindergarteners at a time, and 3 ladies working, kids end up waiting it seems.

crl
05-07-2012, 03:39 PM

I have seen a couple of mentions of people available to help open packages. There is no one to do this at ds' school so I would check before assuming there will be someone. Also, my ds would not have asked for help, but many kids are better about that than he is.

Catherine

KrisM
05-07-2012, 03:44 PM
I bought the lock&lock and FnF containers from Ross for cheap. The lock&lock were recommended to me here on BBB and I really like them.
http://www.organize.com/6pclunchset.html (this is one of the sets I have)
http://www.fit-fresh.com/landing_kids.php (I have 1-cup and 2-cup)
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodontheGo/beverageContainers?productId=10016331

Do you find the L&L often leak? Do the kids do a good job of resealing them for coming home? I'm picturing yogurt leaking all over the place because someone doesn't close all the sides of the L&L!

I figure I have 1 year left for the Laptop for DS1. I think by 4th grade, he'll likely want something different and I will do something modular like you have. I'll pass the Laptop down to DS2 for kindergarten that year. I suppose I can start looking for good deals on something!

endlessheather
05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
DS is in Kinder. and we have used a Planetbox all year without problems. I think it's a great size portion wise and the little sections have helped me plan and come up with ideas for lunch a bit better. I really love how easy it is to clean!!! Plus the small containers are perfect for ranch dip, yogurts, applesauce and no leaks. It was a bit expensive but considering how well it's held up and how easy it is, I'd buy one all over again.

new_mommy25
05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Do you find the L&L often leak? Do the kids do a good job of resealing them for coming home? I'm picturing yogurt leaking all over the place because someone doesn't close all the sides of the L&L!

I figure I have 1 year left for the Laptop for DS1. I think by 4th grade, he'll likely want something different and I will do something modular like you have. I'll pass the Laptop down to DS2 for kindergarten that year. I suppose I can start looking for good deals on something!

I've never had a problem with a leak and I have done things like yogurt in it before. DD is actually surprisingly good about that kind of thing. DS on the other hand...is a total space cadet. His lunch bag was always a mess. Thank goodness I only need to pack for him during the summer. I have washed the LE bags we have before and it came out well. I've also washed LE and LLB backpacks and they came out looking brand new.

nfceagles
05-07-2012, 04:09 PM
We use the ziploc divided containers- We got them at Target for $4/2 or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Container-Divided-Rectangle-2-Count/dp/B003U6DJ90/ref=pd_sim_hg_56

These are the same idea- nicer plastic, less leak proof:
http://www.amazon.com/EasyLunchboxes-3-compartment-Containers-BPA-Free-Easy-Open/dp/B004UIRUJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336418092&sr=8-1

We use both of these almost everyday and really like them. I slightly prefer the Easy Lunch boxes. I just bought a a flat, laptop-shaped lunch bag to put them in and I can always fit in a juice box or Capri Sun. I make extra sure my DS (1st grade) can open everything before I use it. He has food allergies so I don't want lunch ladies that are also touching other kids' foods also touching his lunch. He still can't open any of the thermoses I've tried. They get harder as the day goes on, because the cooling hot air creates a vaccuum.

KpbS
05-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Ziploc divided containers and Critter lunch bag from LL Bean with funtainer or juice box. Love it.

ang79
05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
My DD1 starts K in the fall. I bought a set of the Easy Lunch Boxes because I like the idea of having everything packed in one thing for her to open. Its a little tough but she can open it and I think w/ practice she'll get better. They are actually working great to pack food for the girls to eat in the car or lunches for them and myself when we do picnics at the park :)

I found this pink Embark lunch bag that holds one box and an ice pack.
http://www.target.com/p/Embark-Lunch-Cooler-Pink/-/A-12113132#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

Not sure what to do about drink. If I don't use an ice pack I think I can fit a drink bottle in on top of the container, or I can have her buy milk at school (not sure of the cost yet). The lunch box does fit in the bag flat (since its not leak proof if you put runny stuff in it and tip it), but, not sure how it will fit flat in a backpack so I may end up with smaller single plastic containers for things like yogurt. I also bought a Thermos funtainer container on sale at Amazon for things like noodles or soup, haven't had her try to open it yet though. She normally is happy with things like rolled deli ham, cheese and crackers, fresh fruit and veggies, or PB & J sandwhiches, so hopefully we'll be able to find enough variety to pack between the Thermos and the ELB.

KrystalS
05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
We use the Easy Lunch Boxes that several PPs have mentioned. We had the ziploc ones but they don't last very long if you use the dishwasher. The easy lunch boxes aren't completely leak proof but we've never had a major issue with this. I don't put anything like yogurt in it though. Mostly fruits so theres some juice in there. It will leak if DD doesn't put the lid back on well, but its usually not much because its after she has eaten.
DD uses the Retro PBK lunch box and it fits well. We have plenty of room for the box, drink, bag of chips or whatever else she wants to take.

Kindra178
05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
My DD1 starts K in the fall. I bought a set of the Easy Lunch Boxes because I like the idea of having everything packed in one thing for her to open. Its a little tough but she can open it and I think w/ practice she'll get better. They are actually working great to pack food for the girls to eat in the car or lunches for them and myself when we do picnics at the park :)

I found this pink Embark lunch bag that holds one box and an ice pack.
http://www.target.com/p/Embark-Lunch-Cooler-Pink/-/A-12113132#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

Not sure what to do about drink. If I don't use an ice pack I think I can fit a drink bottle in on top of the container, or I can have her buy milk at school (not sure of the cost yet). The lunch box does fit in the bag flat (since its not leak proof if you put runny stuff in it and tip it), but, not sure how it will fit flat in a backpack so I may end up with smaller single plastic containers for things like yogurt. I also bought a Thermos funtainer container on sale at Amazon for things like noodles or soup, haven't had her try to open it yet though. She normally is happy with things like rolled deli ham, cheese and crackers, fresh fruit and veggies, or PB & J sandwhiches, so hopefully we'll be able to find enough variety to pack between the Thermos and the ELB.

Cute lunch box. Definitely check out how it will fit in her backpack though. Add a plastic folder with a centimeter worth of papers, two library books, a skinny reading book homework book and a light jacket/fleece.

hillview
05-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Another vote for planet box. Wish I hadn't gotten the laptop and easy lunch boxes.

infomama
05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
More Planetbox love here.

alirebco
05-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Planetbox (although DS complains it is heavy but he is 4). Or the Easy Lunchboxes are super easy to open but not as much room inside.

cuca_
05-08-2012, 06:17 PM
We love Planetbox here too. I also use Easy Lunch Boxes for DS's snack, but I prefer the Planetbox for lunches.

cilantromapuche
05-08-2012, 06:59 PM
another for plantbox. it is heavy but works like a charm and all the teachers/monitors comment how awesome it is. They joy of no waste, great portion control and you open it up and eat.

ijopint
05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Another vote for Planetbox.
I also have the Lock and Lock and funtainer food jar for hot foods.
I got the Planetbox from redeeeming my points from Amex and bought it the store(PBK but they only have Blue or Pink option).