PDA

View Full Version : An Anniversary and a Milestone

Gena
05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Five years ago this week, DS was officially diagnosed with Autism. It was a week after this birthday and a week before Mother's Day.

On that day, I had a lot of questions and worries about DS's future, like:
Will he ever be able to really make friends with other kids?
Will he be able to go to school in a regular classroom?
Will he ever drive?
Will he be able to go to college?
Will he ever make his First Communion?

Five years later, I still don't know the answer to most of those questions.

Yesterday, DS made his First Communion. It was a week after his birthday and a week before Mother's Day.

He did wonderfully at Mass. He didn't participate in all the "extras" that the kids did (procession, songs, gathering around the alter, etc.), but we left that decision to him and he did what he was comfortable with. The religious education staff and the priests were very understanding and supportive of him. DS had worked very hard to be ready for this event and I am so proud of him. I cried my eyes out.

(His party on the other hand, was a complete disaster, mostly due to family members who still - after 5 years - do not understand autism and who did not care to acknowledge the importance of this event. I felt awful for DS. But that's a post for the BP.)

elektra
05-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Congrats to your DS! It sounds like it was really meaningful and special for you guys- and that is great that the priests and everyone were so supportive.

Sorry the party didn't reflect how awesome the actual even/ceremony was for you guys.

If it makes you feel any better, a few select relatives in my family have been known to ruin parties that are supposed to signify happy things for other people too!

hellokitty
05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
:bighand: Congrats to your son! Also, :hug: to you for this journey so far, I always like reading your posts. I also agree with elektra, that maybe some of your family members are just dysfunctional to begin with and it's not totally based on their reaction toward your DS. We have those types who seem to have a knack for ruining family events too. I hope that your son did not notice and had a great time anyway at his party!

crl
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Congratulations to your son and how wonderful that your church has embraced him.

I am sorry about the relatives.

Catherine

MichelleRC
05-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Congratulations to you and your son!
Your posts are always so helpful to me while we navigate our own journey with ASD and a bunch of other acronyms.

Sweetum
05-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Congratulations! wonderful update...

JTsMom
05-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Congratulations Gena! I remember you posting about First Communion before, and I'm so glad to see that it worked out so well. :cheerleader1: Sorry about the party. :hug: I hope DS remembers all of the good, and forgets the rest.

melrose7
05-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Congrats on your son's First Communion! That is a big question mark after receiving the Autism diagnosis and I am so glad that you guys were able to figure out a way for him to receive it. I can imagine you were crying your eyes out. Something we are still trying to figure out here.

I'm sorry the party afterwards was difficult for you and that your family still isn't supportive and understanding of your son's diagnosis.

Gena
05-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Congrats on your son's First Communion! That is a big question mark after receiving the Autism diagnosis and I am so glad that you guys were able to figure out a way for him to receive it. I can imagine you were crying your eyes out. Something we are still trying to figure out here.

A great resource we found is the "Adaptive First Eucharist Preparation Kit for Children with Autism and Other Special Needs"

http://www.loyolapress.com/adaptive-first-eucharist-preparation-kit.htm

Our parish's Director of Religous Education purchased this and lent it to us. The materials in the kit are wonderful, appropriate, and beautiful in their simplicity. The materials work for children who use a PECS system, as well as verbal kids. The materials in the kit really helped keep us focused on the basics of the sacrament - what was essential for DS to know and understand for First Communion. DS was able to move on to some more complex lessons, but we often reviewed the materials in the kit, to emphasize those basics and keep them clear.

JustMe
05-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Congratulations to you and ds! Sorry to hear how the party went.