PDA

View Full Version : ham steak - how bad is it? any remotely healthy alternative?

lmh2402
05-07-2012, 07:56 PM
we had lunch at my aunt's house last week. it was a sort of last minute visit, so she happened to have a ham steak in her fridge that she was planning to use for soup. she put it in a pan with a quick glaze of maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard and just kept flipping it until the glaze thickened. served with some veggies, fruit, salad, etc. long story short - DS loved. loved. LOVED. the ham. i was cringing the whole time. felt like he ate a whole package of bacon, but i kept reminding myself that it was a one off however, he is now asking me to make ham. repeatedly. asking for ham for dinner. is there any ham steak alternative that is not terrible/full of chemicals, but might still give the same "taste" if i use a similar glaze? thanks

abh5e8
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
are you opposed to all ham? i'm sure you could buy regular packaged ham and cook it with the glaze.

eta: ham has way more actual meat then bacon...which is mostly fat.

infomama
05-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I would just go to the deli where they sell Applegate ham and have them cut a 1/2 inch slice for you. At least Applegate is nitrate/nitrite free.

lmh2402
05-07-2012, 08:13 PM
are you opposed to all ham? i'm sure you could buy regular packaged ham and cook it with the glaze.

eta: ham has way more actual meat then bacon...which is mostly fat.

no, i'm definitely not opposed to ham - it's more that my thought/understanding was that a ham steak was basically chock full of chemicals

like my aunt mentioned that the "use by date" was like a month out! the only way it could be safe for use for a month would be b/c it was like preserved with chemicals, right?

so i'm cool with ham meat, but hoping for something that is not too..."chemically"

jerigirl
05-07-2012, 08:16 PM
We buy ham steak a lot :bag: Our Kroger used to carry a nitrate/ite free brand but it hasn't been available lately. The Kroger brand has nitrate/ites.

maylips
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
It's also great with pineapple warmed up with it. :)

katydid1971
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Not all hams have chemicals. Ham is a very old way of preserving meat. Trader Joes had nitrate/ite free hams last month for Easter, you should see if they still have them. Stay away from ham in a can.

Seitvonzu
05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
i've never met a child that didn't like ham. seriously. especially when they are little and "pure"--- they get that first taste of "salty breakfast meat" (my child was crazy for ham, bacon, canadian bacon, sausage-- any of it) and it's like "HOLY CANOLI!" :):):)

if you are worried, try the nitrite free stuff. but ... eh. i guess this is just something i choose not to get worked up about

(oh and i've pretty much decided to never have anything but ham dinners when entertaining people ...because EVERYONE is always so happy and laid back when i serve- HAM. why is that?)

TwinFoxes
05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Not all hams have chemicals. Ham is a very old way of preserving meat.

:yeahthat: I think it's the smoking. If you go to Spain they have huge hams hanging up in tapas bars unrefrigerated. It's a centuries old tradition. (pre-chemical preservatives). I think the applegate idea is a good one. Also, I think WF sells nitrate/nitrite free ones.

kaharris83
05-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Our Whole Foods sells Niman Farms ham slices(steaks). They are nitrate/nitrite free.

Katigre
05-07-2012, 09:15 PM
You can get pastured pork that is local to you if you search on www.eatwild.com, and you can read the ingredients on the packages of ham at the store to find ones without added nitrites/nitrates.

vludmilla
05-07-2012, 09:30 PM
A little OT but I wonder how many read this article in the NYT last year. It refers to more than just hot dogs and notes that all processed meats contain some nitrites/nitrates but in the case of products like Applegate Farms, the nitrite/nitrate must be from natural sources like celery juice or powder. I still buy Applegate Farms meat/hotdogs because I prefer the grassfed beef that they often use but I'm not buying it because of the "no nitrate/ites added claim".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/business/02hotdog.html

katydid1971
05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I think it's the smoking. If you go to Spain they have huge hams hanging up in tapas bars unrefrigerated. ].
MMMMM Serrano Jamon I LOVED the food in Spain!!!

Katigre
05-07-2012, 09:36 PM
A little OT but I wonder how many read this article in the NYT last year. It refers to more than just hot dogs and notes that all processed meats contain some nitrites/nitrates but in the case of products like Applegate Farms, the nitrite/nitrate must be from natural sources like celery juice or powder. I still buy Applegate Farms meat/hotdogs because I prefer the grassfed beef that they often use but I'm not buying it because of the "no nitrate/ites added claim".

I did know this and choose to buy the 'natural' meats anyway. What really gets me is this - if I buy Applegate Farms lunchmeat (which uses the celery-juice nitrates) it goes bad within 4-5 days after opening. If I buy conventional lunchmeat from the deli or oscar meyer, it takes *weeks* to go bad. That indicates to me that there is some difference between them, at least somewhat in the amount of preservatives they contain. My friend who is very sensitive to nitrates says that her body reacts more stronglly to conventionally processed/preserved meat and not much at all to the 'uncured' (yes, they're still cured though) versions.

TwinFoxes
05-07-2012, 09:42 PM

I did read it, but in my head I do think the "natural" nitrates are better. (I could be totally wrong though). Plus like you point out, there are other reasons to buy the brand.

MMMMM Serrano Jamon I LOVED the food in Spain!!!

Mmm, me too! I never had a bad dish. :)

lmh2402
05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
thanks, guys! i will have to check out my options at WF. he is dying for ham and i am dying for something he actually wants to eat, that is not soup. so we're both to make this happen!

BayGirl2
05-07-2012, 11:42 PM
We got the Trader Joe's ham for Easter. I am not a fan of ham but it was sooooo good. If you can find it, definitely get some. No cooking required either, just warm and serve.

essnce629
05-08-2012, 12:53 AM
I would just go to the deli where they sell Applegate ham and have them cut a 1/2 inch slice for you. At least Applegate is nitrate/nitrite free.

This is what I do whenever I need some ham for soups-- I tell them to cut me two 1/2" thick pieces. I also get my deli ham freshly sliced at WF's each week. I only get a small amount (1/3 of a pound) since it doesn't stay fresh very long without preservatives. 1/3 of a pound is perfect for us for a week and it's only a little over $3.

mytwosons
05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Our TJs used to always carry ham steak - I think it was Niman Ranch, but branded TJs, IIRC. It was one of our go-to quick dinners, but I haven't looked for it in some time.

daisymommy
05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
I buy Wellshire Farms or Applegate Farms ham steaks from Whole Foods. Totally natural, nothing nasty in them (nitrates, preservatives, chemicals, etc.)

They are great for dicing up and putting in breakfast casseroles too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
We got the Trader Joe's ham for Easter. I am not a fan of ham but it was sooooo good. If you can find it, definitely get some. No cooking required either, just warm and serve.

TJ's ham is the only ham I enjoy.

And I despise ham.

Seriously despise it.

Except for TJ's.