PDA

View Full Version : How long do you expect your DC's backpack to last?

jerseygirl07067
05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I bought both my DDs LandsEnd backpacks for school when they started kindergarten. I spent a bit more than going to Target or wherever because I assumed they'd last longer, though they were still pretty reasonably priced. However, in less than 2 -3 yrs the mesh water bottle compartment is ripping on both of them, and on DD 1's backpack (a bit less than 3 yrs old) the back nylon is ripped and the foam underneath is exposed.

Is this typical wear? I feel silly because I know Lands End would allow me to return them, but what is considered normal wear? I remember using the same backpack all throughout college walking around campus with much heavier books, and it made it through 4 + years.

I currently have backpacks that are 10-15 yrs old that are still usable.

Am I expecting too much? If so, I'll just toss em' and go buy some new ones. :)

I do feel like stuff of today is made with such poor quality, but I guess that should be another thread altogether.

niccig
05-07-2012, 08:43 PM
It might be how your kids are treating them. Kids will be rougher on things than you were when you were at college with a backpack. I see kids dragging their bags on the ground. I know I'm always telling DS to be careful with his things.

DS has a lands end backpack and we're near the end of 3 years. I think we can maybe go 1 more, but I think the mesh for the water bottle may be on the way out too. I bought it on sale, so not much more than a cheaper backpack.

I know the Target backpacks would get you about a year if that. One mother was complaining her DS's bag didn't make it 1/2 the year.

infomama
05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Way longer than that. I only buy LL Bean packs now. I still have mine from college...it's friggin old and is still awesome. No rips, zipper works. Great pack.

LD92599
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I already returned one Lands End bag that was broken (zipper) after one year and then an LL Bean that also had an issue.

I'll only buy backpacks from either store from now on because of the their guarantee's. My LL Bean one from High School is still going strong and I tend to use it for travel now. Granted it's seen better days...and I really wish they still made that exact model now because i'd get another in a heartbeat.

Take yours back!

Kindra178
05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I think buying a new backpack every year is totally fun but a complete waste of money and resources, like landfill space. That said, I would say that three is the most you could ask for out of any kid backpack, especially young kid. Mesh side pockets are not going to withhold ten times per day yanking a bottle in/out, especially in a kid kind of way.

PB kids side pockets aren't mesh, but backpack fabric. That's going to last longer. We have the small pbk one that DS1 used for camp but it got too small for k (winter gear). I have always been an LLB backpack person, from elementary through law school, but most kid LLB backpacks don't have water bottle pockets, which is the only reason why I didn't get one for DS1.

sarahsthreads
05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Our Children's Place backpack lasted for K & half of 1st, when DD1 outgrew it (the straps became too short even for my peanut - it was the size they sell in the toddler side of TCP). It's still in wonderful condition, and if DD2 wants, she can use it for K and beyond, until she outgrows it. We currently use it for trips to hold stuff in between the kids' seats in the car.

DD1 now has a Lands End one, which is a little over a year old. It has a small tear on the rain flap bit over the zipper on the front pocket where it's gotten stuck a few times, but other than that it looks brand new. I've even washed it a couple of times. I expect it will last at least for the rest of 2nd and all of 3rd, barring any unfortunate run-in with scissors or something. ;) I'll likely replace it by 4th grade because she'll need something bigger, anyway.

I wouldn't really expect even the "best" backpacks to last for more than 2-3 years when carried by a young kid.

Sarah :)

daphne
05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I think buying a new backpack every year is totally fun but a complete waste of money and resources, like landfill space. That said, I would say that three is the most you could ask for out of any kid backpack, especially young kid. Mesh side pockets are not going to withhold ten times per day yanking a bottle in/out, especially in a kid kind of way.

ITA. My DS has had his Land's End backpack for about 3 years now & I'm planning to buy him a new one for next year. We'll keep this one around for a spare, but I feel like we got our money's worth. I can't imagine walking into the store after 3 years & asking for a new one.

hillview
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Our Kelty one for ds1 is going strong in year 4. Ds2 is on year 2 of his Kelty. They are used daily sept til June.

maestramommy
05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Dora has an LE small haul, and I expect it to last at least another couple of years. Arwyn has a Disney Minnie backpack, and I'm just hoping it holds up until the end of this school year. The zipper is busted, so it only closes in one direction. After her last day I'll either get the zipper replaced, or burn it. :tongue5:

liz
05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
My DS has had his Land's End backpack for about 3 years now & I'm planning to buy him a new one for next year. We'll keep this one around for a spare, but I feel like we got our money's worth. I can't imagine walking into the store after 3 years & asking for a new one.

:yeahthat:

ZeeBaby
05-07-2012, 09:16 PM
3 yrs seems like plenty of wear to me too. DD has a PBK backpack and it looks like new after one year of wear.

Twin Mom
05-07-2012, 09:22 PM
My DC each used their Lands End backpacks for K-2 and they could have used them longer but they wanted new ones for 3rd grade. They did not take water bottles every day so the mesh ripping wasn't an issue.

Currently DD is using a PB Teen backpack (NWT at Goodwill). DS had a Timbuk2 bag also from GW but he felt it was a little too small so I bought him an LL Bean when someone posted a fab deal here. I expect he will finish elementary school with the LLB backpack since it is in great shape and is pretty big. Not sure if the PBT bag will last 2 more years for DD. The bags at GW were only $7 each so I was ok if they only worked for 1 school year.

o_mom
05-07-2012, 09:34 PM
DS1's LE packpack is on it's third year and still looks brand new. He will get a new, slightly larger, one next fall, but only so I can hand this one down to DS3. However, after three years, like PPs said, I probably wouldn't return it.

OTOH, if the condition is as bad as it sounds, it must have started failing much earlier than that. In the first year I would probably return for even minor issues. Issues like you describe in the second year, also. Third year, possibly, if I knew my kid wasn't hard on things.

The Target ones we used for preschool were usually only good for a year, if that.

kozachka
05-07-2012, 09:47 PM
DS has had a small haul backpack from LL Bean for almost 3 academic years now and the only complaint that I have about it is that it faded from being hung outdoors in CA. In my mind 3 years is about right for a backpack since DS is probably ready for a bigger and more 'mature' one in 4th grade.

jerseygirl07067
05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Okay, so it sounds like we've gotten adequate usage on them. Yes, the mesh pockets are an issue as we live in FL and the kids bring water bottles to school daily...and that's where they're falling apart the worst.

One of the backpacks has made it through 3 yrs, the other not even 2. If I did return one at all, that was the one I'd consider.

My kids are hard on their toys, but as far as backpacks go, they've been pretty gentle with them. They bring them home and hang them up until the next day.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Liziz
05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
You may want to consider a Jansport backpack if you want it to last. They have a lifetime warranty on their backpacks -- if it starts to rip, etc., you just have to pay to mail it to them, and they either fix it or send it back. I used mine all the time through high school, then it started ripping in college -- they replaced it with no problems.

jerseygirl07067
05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Oh yes, that's it, Jansport! I was trying to remember what brand my college backpack was that made it through 4 yrs of undergrad and 2 yrs of grad school. That thing was indestructible!

I guess other thing is my little DDs get fickle and want to change it up every few years. But I will still check them out, even if just for a stroll down memory lane, lol.

doberbrat
05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
idk - dd1 is in K and has a LE backpack that already is comming apart at a seam. Considering that she carries no books I'm pretty ticked!

OKKiddo
05-07-2012, 11:11 PM
I was just remarking about this same topic on Friday at my son's preschool! The very first backpacks I had bought him and his younger brother were in perfect condition (other than the permanent marker the Mother's Day Out teacher used to write their names with). They were the Toy Story and Cars backpack that came with the lunchpacks from Disney.com. I loved those backpacks! They held up with no peeling, fraying, loss of color, and would still fit them now. I opted to get them new backpacks this year since their interests had shifted to superheroes and Angry Birds. I got the Marvel backpack from Disney and the Angry Birds backpack from Amazon. The Marvel backpack is oddly shaped and doesn't fit a child well since the straps are contoured to fall off the shoulders (seriously!) and the print on the front has held up through this school year but I have refused to wash it because I know the first time it hits water it will come off. My older sons Angry Bird backpack seemed like it would hold up longer and the graphic has...but it's literally coming apart at the seams (I can put my hand completely in his back pack from just above the back handle strap).

I am very disappointed in the durability/longevity of these backpacks because I'm pretty sure they will still be into those topics this coming fall and there won't be any re-using the backpacks for another year. :( I guess I'll have to look into Jansport, Lands End, and LL Bean for the next year...but I really do like letting them pick out their own characters/themes so I hate to give that up.

lalasmama
05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
We bought at $20 backpack at Fred Meyer (Kroger, nationally, I believe) when she started kindergarten, and it's still going strong in 2nd grade. It was "Bongo" brand. Didn't expect it to last this long--I would have been pleased to just have it survive kindergarten!

When she picked it, my only rule was "no characters" so that, if by chance it did make it, we wouldn't be arguing over a 2nd grader not wanting to wear a Dora backpack or such.

I think she'll get a new bag next year. She's always been bummed that she doesn't get a new bag every year, and I'll admit I'm getting tired of searching for her blasted brown and teal backpack. Our pillows are brown, our carpet is brown, our house is messy--the last thing I need is a stupid lost brown backpack in the living room amongst all that other brown!

essnce629
05-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Well, DS1 must be really hard on all his stuff since we've NEVER had a backpack last 3 years! All of our LE backpacks (3 I think) start tearing on the mesh water bottle pocket within the first year and he had one PB backpack that completely tore apart at the seams after 1 WEEK (I actually wrote about it here)! I got a replacement from PB and the new one started ripping on the seams after 2 months or so!!! So yeah, one year is the most we've ever gotten out of a bag. This year I bought him a High Sierra bag on Amazon since all of their bags seem to get excellent reviews and they are priced really well (cheaper than LE and PB). I decided to stick with black from now on (tired of seeing the dirt) and an outside water bottle pocket is a must for him since he carries a big water bottle to school every day.

Fairy
05-08-2012, 01:19 AM
I haven't read the other responses, but dude, lemme tell ya. I'm not happy. He's been thru four of them. The beautiful Lands End one with his name on it died a sad death that maybe could have been avoided, so I guess I can't count that. Then there was the cheap thing from Disney Store that didn't last three weeks at camp. Then thre was the Star Wars one that we got at TRU that was barely hauling anything in Kindy, and it died in 4 or 5 months. Now we have this expensive Star Wars jobber from PBK that I paid good $$ for and expected to freakin' last, and he's only been using it since freaking Hanukkah, and it's already got the front part ripping apart from the rolled seam edging. WHAT?! I give up.

rlu
05-08-2012, 01:36 AM
The one we bought DS from OfficeMax for 1st grade is still ok towards the end of 2nd but both side mesh pockets have torn out (daily water bottle). We got credit for the amount of purchase applied to a future purchase so free in a way.

eta: brand is aka sport. He only uses it for school, he has another backpack for trips.

mom3boys
05-08-2012, 10:35 AM
DS1's backpack is almost 3 years old and still in good condition, but we'll probably get a new one for the new school year because it's kind of small for him now. (It has his name embroidered on it, so we won't use it for another child). It is Land's End.

DS2's backpack, however, also Lands End, had the seams rip out on the sides after about 6 months. And he barely uses it, the only time it gets full is once a week when his sheet and blanket from school are sent back to us for washing. Maybe it was defective, so I need to use the Land's End guarantee on that one.

We have Kelty and North Face Backpacks (adult size) that we use all the time and are in great shape after 10 years.

dogmom
05-08-2012, 10:49 AM
We got a LE one when DS was in K. Zipper broke between 2-3 grades, but since he was much bigger it was time to size up anyway. I bought him a LL Bean one simply because he chose it online. I would think this would last through middles school. I will probably do the same with DD.

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
We have been buying LL Bean ones for 20+ years. They are all going strong. Ds2's was used by ds1 for 4 years and still looks new.

Twoboos
05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
We've had trouble with DD2's LE backpack that was new this year for 1st grade. The zipper would get constantly stuck, water bottle mesh ripping, and now a seam is ripping. I know LE will take it back but it should be better quality.

OTOH, their LLBean back packs from preschool still look brand new (a little scuffed) and do not have a rip anywhere.

I feel the LLBean ones are better quality, hands down. Next time it's what I'm buying. (And in the meantime, do I call LE and try to make an exchange?)

kbud
05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Our Children's Place backpack lasted for K & half of 1st, when DD1 outgrew it (the straps became too short even for my peanut - it was the size they sell in the toddler side of TCP). It's still in wonderful condition, and if DD2 wants, she can use it for K and beyond, until she outgrows it. We currently use it for trips to hold stuff in between the kids' seats in the car.

Sarah :)

Our Children's Place backpack is in near perfect condition too. Got it for DD#1 when she started Kindy. She is almost done with 2nd now. She did beg me for a new backpack because she was tired of it. Gramma bought her a new one for Christmas. I just couldn't justify it since it was still in perfect condition. She is hard on things too. I expected it to last through kindy and that was it. DD#2 uses it some now. It was really inexpensive too.

No way would I expect a kids backpack to last as long as one I had in college. I try not to pay too much either since their tastes change.

hellokitty
05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
I bought my kids the LL Bean jr backpacks, and now the two older ones have the little critter ones. My boys are hard on their stuff and their backpacks still look great. I expect them to get complete use out of them, hand them down to DS3 and then I will hand them down to my nephew or give them to someone else.

lablover
05-08-2012, 01:08 PM
DS is close to finishing up his second school year with his LE Study Haul backpack and it is still good as new. I definitely plan for him to use it next year in 3rd grade. I think his next one will be due to size, not condition of his current backpack. Although I should note that he only uses the mesh pouch for his water bottle on Fridays because the other days it is attached to his lunchbag, so that part doesn't get daily use. It is also black, so it doesn't look dirty.

ilfaith
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
My boys are finishing their third school year with the same Children's Place backpacks (green camo pattern). I had planned to get them new backpacks last August, but never got around to it, and the ones they had were still going strong. They are actually still in good condition and we could probably get another year out of them, but DS2 has the smaller "toddler" size, which won't be big enough for his first grade books. I was pleasantly surprised that they have held up as well as they did, since they were so inexpensive, and would consider buying them again if they have a pattern we like.

On the other hand the Super Mario lunchbox DS2 insisted I get him from Target lasted less than two months...and he usually gets hot lunch.

essnce629
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Now we have this expensive Star Wars jobber from PBK that I paid good $$ for and expected to freakin' last, and he's only been using it since freaking Hanukkah, and it's already got the front part ripping apart from the rolled seam edging. WHAT?! I give up.

Yes, yes, yes!!! We also had a PBK Star Wars backpack that completely ripped apart at the seems after 1 WEEK of summer camp! The replacement they sent me ripped apart in the same area after 2 months or so! I wonder if the Star Wars bags are lesser quality than their original bags?

Jo..
05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
2-3 years. We get a new one after two and donate the old.

My sons LE backpack (used for pre-school and pre-k) is still perfect. The much pricier PBK kids Spiderman backpack ($55) is crap. Less than one year and it has holes and fraying. I bought another LE for him for next year. $9 on clearance. The PBK spiderman lunch box is also garbage. Washed on cold/delicate ONCE, and it fell apart. Vs weekly washings for his LE lunchbox.

DD has an adorable Stephen Joseph vinyl backpack. After a few months, one of the shoulder straps cracked and ripped. I glued it. A few more months and the carrying loop cracked and ripped. I glued that too. It has since developed many rips, and gorilla glue has come to the rescue each time. It is at the end of its useful life after one year, despite countless repairs.

Next year she will get a LE backpack too.

AnnieW625
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
DD1's Lands End Small Haul pack she got when she was 2 is still going strong and she could have used it this year, but she really wanted a new back pack. Her Study Haul pack should last until at least the 3rd grade. I told her she had to wait until 3rd grade to get a new one.

I just bought DD2 a Lands End Small Haul and I expect that could last for a while too, maybe through kindergarten, just because it is smaller and by first grade I think a binder has to be able to fit in the pack.

I would take your pack back to Lands End as they are guaranteed.

Growing up I think I had a Kelty backpack that lasted from 1st to 6th grade.

Simon
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Land's End little backpack on year 3 of year round use + vacation. I'm going to hand it down to Ds3 and expect it to last another 2-3 years.

Ds2 is using an LLBean bag I bought 2nd hand and its in great shape but I don't know how old it is.

lmwbasye
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Our Lands End ones haven't lasted.

LL Bean, though, we can't kill, LOL. Those suckers are tough.

KpbS
05-08-2012, 04:17 PM
We love our LL Bean Critter packs. They will last long enough to be passed down to multiple DC. :)

jerseygirl07067
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone. You know, I looked at the LL Bean backpacks and the Jansport ones, and very few, if any, of the junior sizes have the side mesh compartment for water bottles. I found the Critter backpack by LL Bean that has the mesh water compartment and that's it.

If you know of any others, just let me know. Thanks!

jk3
05-09-2012, 08:46 PM
K-3 before they outgrow them for a larger size.

Kindra178
05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone. You know, I looked at the LL Bean backpacks and the Jansport ones, and very few, if any, of the junior sizes have the side mesh compartment for water bottles. I found the Critter backpack by LL Bean that has the mesh water compartment and that's it.

If you know of any others, just let me know. Thanks!

This is why we didn't go with LLB to begin with. I don't love the Critter pack, especially for boys. But there is one that seems like it would work for third grade plus:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62851?feat=818-GN1

It comes in a print version too.

KrisM
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
DS1 got an LLB Critter backpack for Christmas at 2.5 years old. He's 8 and using it in 2nd grade. He took it for 2 years of preschool, which is very little wear, and now 3 years of elementary on the bus. It's a bit dirty, but otherwise in great shape. I keep expecting him to ask for a new one, but he hasn't so far.

DD has a LE backpack in great shape. I am sure she'll use it at least one more year, if not 2, and then it'll be too small.