PDA

View Full Version : Getting Fillings?

MamaMolly
05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Can you please share your DC's experiences when it comes to getting fillings? Lula has to get some dental work done and DH has me freaking out.

Were you allowed in the room while the fillings were being done?
Did they restrain your DC? If so, how?
DH said he thinks that they will TIE HER ARMS AND LEGS DOWN. Like Hell. I'd beat them to death with their spit suckers before I'd let that happen.

DH and I have had a huge blow up about this. We obviously feel very differently about how this should go tomorrow.

That aside, please tell me what happened when your DC got dental work done. I don't think I"m going to sleep tonight.

kms00
05-08-2012, 12:00 AM
My oldest had a cavity filled when she was 3. I was with her the whole time. They did not tie her down at all. She didn't like it, but she sat still and held her mouth open for them. It went as well as could be expected, I was very happy with the dental staff. They were very patient and soothing with her. I hope you have a good experience too.

crl
05-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Ds is super anxious about this kind of thing. They have never restrained him. The first go around he was just three and needed three fillings and a crown. Sigh. We agreed with the dentist's suggestion to do general anesthesia at the hospital. Last time he was eight and it was horrid. We did in office sedation and ds is a mean drunk. Nonetheless they did not restrain him. I would be quite surprised if they want to restrain Lulu. And you certainly can refuse to allow that.

Catherine

buddyleebaby
05-08-2012, 12:05 AM
My daughter had cavities between her two front teeth at the age of 5. The pediatric dentist wanted to sedate her before doing anything and I felt uncomfortable with that.
I took her to the family dentist for a second opinion and she felt that if I thought DD was capable of being cooperative, they could do it without sedation, using just a local anesthetic (as they would for adults).
We tried it and DD did great. They did not restrain her in anyway, just gave her verbal instructions. I was not in the room, but right outside the door. The Dentist gave her a little princess figurine when it was all over.
DD asks to go to the dentist all the time. :rotflmao:

Tondi G
05-08-2012, 01:29 AM
I was in the room the whole time my children were with the dentist... holding hands if they needed me. I would never take my child to a dentist who didn't allow parents to be with their child in the room and I would never allow my child to be restrained. My DS2 was 5 at the time and IMPRESSIVE ... even the dentist and the assistant remarked at how well he did. He just closed his eyes and they did their work ( a baby root canal). I was more anxious about it than DS.

I think DS1 gave them more trouble.... but it wasn't his fault.... he just is a big guy and needed a lot more novacain than they thought he needed. He complained a little and then they just finished up and we were on our way.

If your DD starts to freak out you can always ask them to give her nitrous oxide "laughing gas". I remember having it as a child cause my Dad was so freaked out by the dentist (he had bad experiences in England as a child) he wanted to make sure my sister and I were doped up and happy.

new_mommy25
05-08-2012, 06:09 AM
DD has to have two fillings done and has an appointment in two weeks. This is a new dentist that we just started seeing so I don't know exactly how things will go. So far the kids really seem to like her. The dentist said I am welcome to stay in the room as a "silent partner." There will be no tieing down. She will get regular anesthetic (numbing gel and shot). Nitrous oxide is also available and covered by our insurance. The dentist and I discussed it and we will only use it if it seems necessary. As in, DD starts to get anxious and we need to take the edge off.

DD had two prior fillings when she was 2 with a different pediatric dentist. Those were so small that no anesthetic was needed. The dentist quickly scratched at the surface with the drill and slapped a filling in. It was that quick. DD did freak out but I was in the room with her and able to soothe her. I have to say I loved that dentist and her whole staff- we only switched due to distance.

I am surprised that your dentist did not discuss the procedure/policy with you beforehand. I'm sure it would have made it easier for you to sleep! When DD was two and had those fillings I mentioned above, I actually left the dentist we were with. He wasn't going to allow me in the room and pooh-poohed me when I said that I wanted DD to have ceramic fillings rather than silver. We also disagreed over fluoride. Life's too short to worry about those kind of things. I switched her dentist and never looked back! I would never allow a dentist to tie my children down. I don't think it's necessary in a kind and loving environment.

ourbabygirl
05-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Good timing- DD just had her 2nd filling yesterday! She's 3.5 and very anxious, but she did great at each of her appts. They didn't restrain her or anything (I guess I didn't even know/ think that was a possibility!), but she did have her beloved teddy to hold :love5:, and I held her other hand and sat next to her (at both appts.).
At the first appt., they tried doing the nitrous oxide (they even had little colored nose pieces that smelled like grape, orange, cherry, or strawberry), but DD just freaked out about that, so we eventually just took them off and he did the novocaine shot (after some grape-flavored topical numbing gel first).

Both appts. were super quick, and the dentist was very soothing and great. They use different child-friendly terms for their instruments and are very upbeat and kind, and gave DD a coin at the end to go to a little machine (like a candy machine, but with bouncy balls, shaped erasers, etc). DD loved that part, of course. :)

Definitely go wherever you & your kids will feel most comfortable! We had DD's first dentist appt. (a cleaning and check-up) in March, and that hygienist was awesome, and the dentist seemed good, but she told us that DD had 6! cavities, and she wanted to fill all of those & do sealants on the other 2 (all molars). She also would only do the silver fillings (said kids wouldn't sit still enough to do the white ones), or would have them go under general anesthesia which I figured was total overkill.
We went to our current dentist, where he gave us his opinion that she had 2 cavities, maybe 3 (when he did the first filling he checked out the tooth next to it and said it seemed fine).

I hope your daughter's appt. goes really well! :hug:

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2012, 08:01 AM
We switched practices when ds1 had a cavity. Practice 1 (my dentist) had me go back with him and ds1 (5yo) wouldn't behave at all. My dentist refered us to a pediatric dentist. We successfully got the filling (and subsequent other work) done there without me in the room. I confirmed with ds1 that they didn't restrain him. Parents are allowed back but discouraged bc the kids tend to listen better to the dentist without parents on hand; true in my experience.

Ds1's only complaint was the novacain.

nfowife
05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
I understand your fears!! It will be okay!!
DD had 3 cavities earlier this year. It was her first ever time having any cavities and I freaked out (not sure why because I have a mouth full of them- DH hasn't had one ever and I was holding out hope the kids inherited that tendency I guess). First I took her for a second opinion and yep, the cavities were there. Ugh. I found the second opinion ped. dentist name from a few friends who had good things to say. I ended up going with the second opinion's doctor and am so glad I did!
The 3 cavities were one on one side and 2 (in between 2 teeth so one on each little tooth side) on the other. He recommended that we split the fillings up into 2 visits so each visit would be quick and she wouldn't have time to get anxious. I did opt (and pay for) laughing gas- my insurance only covers novacaine. I am a super anxious dental patient and didn't want to show any fear for DD but I myself have to have laughing gas and novacaine for a filling!!
The day of I was so scared and worried but it was so easy and quick!!
We got there, they let her sit with the laughing gas for a few minutes, and came in and did the filling. NO NOVACAINE!! The entire filling process from when they started work to finished work was 5 minutes!! And my DD was totally fine and happy- no restraining or upsets or anything- and she can be very anxious.
It was so easy and fine that she was excited to go back the next week for the 2nd round, which was the 2 cavities on the other side. That one took about 6 minutes total and again was so easy. We did the white fillings, not sure if that makes a difference in the speed or anything.

I really think the dentist you choose will make ALL the difference. So, choose wisely. My DD is a little older than yours- she was 6 1/2 when the fillings were done. But it was a very, very positive experience for her and she is in now way the least bit scared of the dentist.

Katigre
05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Can you please share your DC's experiences when it comes to getting fillings? Lula has to get some dental work done and DH has me freaking out.

Were you allowed in the room while the fillings were being done?
Did they restrain your DC? If so, how?
DH said he thinks that they will TIE HER ARMS AND LEGS DOWN. Like Hell. I'd beat them to death with their spit suckers before I'd let that happen.

DH and I have had a huge blow up about this. We obviously feel very differently about how this should go tomorrow.

That aside, please tell me what happened when your DC got dental work done. I don't think I"m going to sleep tonight.

DS had two small molar fillings done when he was 4. He was fine with it and the dentist was SO NICE and really patient with him. I did not go back with him but would have if needed. He goes happily to the dentist two years later so had no trauma from it.

The biggest things that helped were this:
1. Use of nitrous gas to help relax the kid - ask if they offer this. HUGE for ease of fillings.
2. Topical numbing gel applied with a qtip before any novicaine injection - it's just a cotton swab they rub on the gums and makes it so that you don't feel the injection at all.

Afterward he had a little numb spot in his mouth but otherwise felt just fine. The thing your DH is describing is a 'papoose board' which both of my kids have been in before at the ER. I'm not 100% opposed to them b/c they are like swaddling where it keeps their body contained so the staff can work quickly and get it done. This would only be necessary with a very young child or one that the above didn't work on though, and you can DEFINITELY ask about how they use it before hand.