PDA

View Full Version : Please help with window safety

ExcitedMamma
05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
We live in a two story house and I am very concerned about the windows with my 2 yr old. The Kidco mesh guard and the Guardian window guards are too small for our windows. Any alternatives out there? With the warmer weather we really need to open up the windows but of course it has to be safe and DS will move toys and chairs to stand on to look out the windows so I need to do something.

PS please don't move this to the baby proofing thread as my last post got no visitors. Thanks!

maestramommy
05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
We have double hung windows, they open upward. The windows in the kids' room, and their bathroom are low enough to need measures. Dh cut a dowel (about an inch diameter) and velcro'd it a few inches above the opening panel. That way you can open the window, but only a few inches. Certainly not wide enough to fall out of. I mean, you'd have to really work to do it. We tried it out a few times, and it really is pretty secure. You'd have to slam it open to get past the velcro, and our kids aren't strong enough for that. By the time they are, they'll also be old enough to know better.

HonoluluMom
05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I have used this type of window lock. There are several different types, so I had to buy several types to figure out which works best. I got them at my local hardware store.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Security-Sliding-Window-Lock-Installation/dp/B005I4IZEQ/ref=pd_cp_hi_1