PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain Keurig to me?

jbbhb
05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
We have a Senseo pod coffee brewer which we love, but sadly is dying. I am thinking of replacing with a Keurig because the Senseo coffee pods aren't available at any B&M anymore, only amazon. It seems like the K cups are available everywhere.

My question is regarding the cups. If you want to make a 12oz cup of coffee (regular strength) do you need more than one K cup? With the senseo you had to use two pods for 12 oz. I am just trying to gauge the price comparison between the two...

Thanks in advance!

mommylamb
05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Different keurig machines have different options. The one we have at work has 6, 8 or 10 oz options.

ilfaith
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Different keurig machines have different options. The one we have at work has 6, 8 or 10 oz options.

I have found that I can squeeze a 12 oz mug out of one K cup by running it twice on the "small" setting...but only with some of the darker, stronger blends...otherwise it comes out a bit weaker than I like it.

cvanbrunt
05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
You can buy the "extra bold" cups; they have more coffee in them than the regular cups. No price difference, though. I use those with 8oz, otherwise the coffee is too weak for me. With regular cups I brew a 6oz cup.

candaceb
05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
It depends on how strong you want your coffee. If you like fairly strong coffee, you probably want to go with two kcups for 12 oz.

There is a new version that just came out that gives you more options, but it's more $$$ - I think the reason for it is that the patent on k-cups is running out.

http://www.keurig.com/vuesystem

We use ekobrew cups in our Keurig about 6 days a week and we've been very happy with that option.
http://www.amazon.com/ekobrew-refillable-filter-Brewers-1-Count/dp/B0051SU0OW
We are drinking less coffee overall now, but I don't seem to miss it. I used to drink 12 oz when we had a regular pot, now I make 8 oz. and it's fine.

hellokitty
05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
If you only drink a cup at a time, I'd recommend you go with a french press. Easy, cheap and doesn't take up counter space. IDK, maybe I am in the minority, I've tried coffee from my friends' keurigs before and have been underwhelmed with the coffee. Out of all the options I've tried, we always end up coming back to the french press.