PDA

View Full Version : What do DDs get efficient at hair brushing?

s7714
05-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Or maybe I should say thorough? My DDs are 6 and 9, and it seems like they are just flat out unwilling to brush anything but the ends of their hair in a few spots. Their bangs, hair near the scalp and most prone to tangles part at the front are always rushed through, if done at all. (My girls have straight, very fine hair FWIW.)

Is there an age that they really start "getting" it, or are we just missing something--the right brush, motivation, vanity even LOL? We have Tangle Teezer brushes, and while they work great if used properly, neither DD seems willing or able to master it. Just thought I'd ask to see if I'm expecting them to master it too soon or if they really are lagging.

I'm beginning to see why my mom subjected me to a pixie cut for so many years...

infomama
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Dd2 is 4 1/2 and she brushes her own hair proficiently. I may have to run the brush in the way back a couple of passes but honestly she does well. The brush matters IMO. We use the wet brush (recommended here).http://www.amazon.com/The-Wet-Rubberized-Detangle-Shower/dp/B000L596FE
Oh..we used to have tangle teasers. They damaged the heck out of our hair (straight fine to straight thick) plus they were way too big for dd2 to hold properly.

brittone2
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
DD is 5 and has been doing a good job for a few months now. The tangle teaser helps. She even mists her hair a little w/ water in a spritz bottle while brushing.

lfp2n
05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
My DD still doesn't do a good job on her hair- she actually doesn't like me brushing it either and she's 9. In her case she isn't motivated as she really couldn't care a less if its brushed or not.

daisysmom
05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
My DD is 5 and one month. Thick thick hair just past shoulders. We own 4 wet brushes. And I too am having a hard time getting her to really brush her hair. And whining when I brush her hair. Last week I got out the picture of me with beautiful long blond hair at 3 and then a week later when my mother had it cut into a pixie cut... all in 1972 style square little pictures with the white boarder. That scared her a good bit! I hate to threaten cutting it off, but honestly, this is a task that she needs to master. I have said that she needs to keep it brushed more and allow me to brush and do ponytails or braids in the morning this summer because her hair is too heavy to wear down in the south.

Now I write this all but fully acknowledge that my hair is just as long and just as thick and I NEVER brush my hair. But the messy look is in for the 43 year old sect... not the 5 year old sect.

maestramommy
05-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Dora and Arwyn are 4 and 6. They do know how to brush their own hair. I've always done their hair, and still do, but sometimes they don't want me to, so I tell them "brush your hair, and put in a hairband," which is all they want these days. I do their bun on ballet days.

They got purple and pink Tinkerbell brushes for Christmas last year, and use them. Sometimes they like to do each other's hair, and I just try to close one eye, because it's pretty dreadful and tangled. I let it go if it's not a special occasion day.

They both have straight hair. Arwyn's is pretty fine, and shoulder length. Dora's is thicker, and it's waistlength.

DrSally
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I've been meaning to post, found a great brush at CVS (have not seen at Target/walmart). It's a Conair detangling brush. The bristles are really thin and fleXible, and make brushing a lot easier!! Ita that the brush makes a big difference.

MommyAllison
05-09-2012, 01:12 AM
DD1 got a Wet Brush in her Easter basket (I'm such a fun mom, I know ;) ) and usually does a good job with it. Once in awhile she still rushes through it, but most of the time she is presentable. She just turned 6.5 last week.

eagle
05-09-2012, 02:00 AM
i dont mean to be snarky or mean. im posting this to be helpful. if you get tired of asking them to brush their hair nicely, have you considered asking them about short pixie style cuts?

if it were me, i wouldnt force them to get their hair cut short, but id definitely offer that as an option.

tangles are a bitch and they would get old for me fast, esp with all the other things you have to do day to day.

Neatfreak
05-09-2012, 02:10 AM
My DD still doesn't do a good job on her hair- she actually doesn't like me brushing it either and she's 9. In her case she isn't motivated as she really couldn't care a less if its brushed or not.

This described my own kid really well! (She'll turn eight next month).

ellies mom
05-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Both my girls (8 and 4) can technically brush/comb their hair just fine. But since they've got curly hair, there are a few more steps to the process and they tend to struggle with applying the product evenly rather than in globs. My oldest recently got a new hair cut (same basic bob but more layers) and now she can do a decent enough job on her own. Generally I still do it but it is nice to occasionally tell her to do her own hair if things are hectic. My youngest gives it a good effort but, yeah, she definitely isn't there yet. No...