PDA

View Full Version : storing kitchen storage containers

LD92599
05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm over-run with tupperware, rubbermaid, glad containers etc....

It's in 2 or 3 cabinets, i can never find lids that match etc.

I need a better storage solution! Any ideas? Or just get rid of it all, buy a new set that all matches and stacks and go from there?

I use containers DAILY - mostly for leftovers and lunches.

brittone2
05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
The best tip I got years ago is to stick with a shape and style. We use pyrex rectangular containers. I have a lot of them, and in different sizes. The rectangular shape means a little less wasted space in fridge or freezer since the containers can be right up against one another. They can also nest that way. So I stack them in a cabinet-my small and medium are together on one shelf, with all of the lids standing like books on the left side of the cabinet. My bigger rectangular ones (9x13 for example) are on the next shelf up since I don't access those as often. We started buying them years ago and they've lasted a loooong time. Not cheap initially, but we've been happy long term. When Linens and Things was in business I bought a bunch during their F&F sale one year.

Globetrotter
05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
I use this for the containers, the large one, with sandwich containers in the narrow slots. I suppose you could use those slots for lids, but I have too many!

I keep round, rectangular and square separate.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10021557&N=&Ntt=Container+organizer

Three of these famous bins, one large for round lids and one large for rectangular lids, and one narrow for smaller containers, like the ones that store half a tomato. Lids are stored from large to small.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10022942&N=&Ntt=%22multi+purpose%22+bins

It's In a pantry closet, though you could use it In a deep drawer- that would be ideal but I have an old fashioned kitchen.

I like the idea of using the same kind, but I've already invested in so many good ones so I won't be doing that any time soon.

Tinochka
05-09-2012, 12:01 AM
I understand you. I have different sizes, different quality. I even was able to convince DH to buy a new set, only to fine out that ppl did not recommend it. So, I am still in search for a perfect set which fit our needs... Meanwhile what helped me is to put them in piles with the same in similar sizes and I use multi-storage bin from a Container Store for lids.

hillview
05-09-2012, 09:22 AM
I have pyrex -- got rid of all the other stuff. I wish I had done rectangular but we have rounds. They nest which is nice.

karstmama
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
i just moved, so any that didn't have a top or bottom went into the garage for dbf's use, some went to goodwill, and the rest into a medium fabric tote bin on a kitchen shelf.