PDA

View Full Version : ? for Those With DS/DD with Braces

happymomma
05-08-2012, 05:27 PM
DS is about 8 1/2 years old. We just found out that he'll need to get expanders and braces within the next year. Then when he is done with all his grown up teeth, he'll probably need to get braces again. They said that it's a phase I and phase II. However, I just found out the price for it.

For phase I- he'll get expanders and braces-- it's going to be $3400

For phase II- he'll just get braces when all his adult teeth are in. -- it is going to be around $5000.

I am floored by the expense. Is this normal? That would be $8400 for both. Our insurance will pay for $1000 but the rest is out of pocket. I still think that this is crazy. I would love to get any feedback for those that have gone through it. I know that DS definitely need to get expanders. His top teeth are growing in crooked.

pinkmomagain
05-08-2012, 05:44 PM
That sounds insane to me. I can't remember how much my kids' braces cost but I would definitely say less than $3000. Both my older dds started the orthodonture process in 6th grade (so around 11 yo). They have friends who did two rounds of ortho and I just don't get it. I'm sure different kids have different issues/needs but it seems like a trend to start earlier that I'm finding hard to understand.

happymomma
05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I think the logic for starting early is that you can do stuff that isn't as evasive as dental surgery. For example, they advised that we put expanders put in his top jaw so that it would give him add'l space for his adult teeth. This way, it would prevent having to pull his adult teeth out later. I totally think it's insane. I was hoping that if we did phase I that phase II would be discounted. But it's not.

kms00
05-08-2012, 06:05 PM
We are just finishing phase I. Expander and partial braces. I think the total for that was $2500. Our insurance paid $500 for lifetime orthodontic coverage. We will need phase II later, but I don't know the price as we are in the process of moving out of state. It is insane for sure. But I have to say her teeth look great so far. I had permanent teeth pulled and I know they don't like to do that anymore.

noodle
05-08-2012, 06:28 PM
DS's phase I was just shy of $5k (and that didn't include the frenectomy).
He'll start phase II this summer and we're paying $4600. He'll also need an implant (not included) after he turns 18.
We got three estimates before phase I and they were all in the ballpark. So, yeah, it doesn't sound too far off to me.
For DD, we've been told (by the orthodontist) to expect it to cost quite a bit less...her mouth looks just as messed up to us, but not to him.

mom2akm
05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
DS1 needed one phrase and DS2 (with a really small month and very crooked teeth) needed 2 phrases. We went to a few orthodontists to compare and decided to go with the DS2 recommendation. The problem is that we don't know enough about it so we just have to go with the professional's advice.

Years ago, 2 phrases is very unusual but they are more common these days.

$5000 for Phrase II sounds reasonable to me. I cannot recall how much phrase I costs but I imagine it would depend on the time(and work) needed to finish the phrase.

Ask the Orthodontists about their payment plans, some offer discounts if you make payment in full (up front).

I didn't know about this before, but if there is an Orthodontics school close by your home, that may be a very good and less expensive option.

Orthodontists are expensive and I'm so thankful that we can afford them.

Puddy73
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
It doesn't seem outrageous, but it can't hurt to get at least one more estimate. I just got metal braces a few months ago and the total cost will be $5800, which doesn't include retainers. Ceramics would have been an additional $500. I'll need to wear them for 18 months-2 years.

dhano923
05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
My DS is getting braces next month and its going to cost $4800. Insurance is going to pick up $1000 of that. I asked a dentist friend and he said that was average for the length of time and our area.

lovin2shop
05-08-2012, 11:59 PM
We just finished phase 1 for $3500, not sure yet about the next yet, but my DS has pretty severe ortho issues. I think we will probably have to go all the way through a phase 3.

AngelaS
05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
My oldest didn't have tons of issues, but needed an appliance and then braces. That was about $5500.

My second had expanders for both top and bottom and now braces for her eight permanent teeth. That was bout $4600 and is considered phase 1.

My third currently has a top palatal expander and I think that's all she's going to have for phase one. I don't remember what it cost. It's all a blur at this point..... LOL

janeybwild
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Phase 1 for us lasted 8 months and now we are in retainer mode. Its was around $1100

mimosa
05-10-2012, 12:00 AM
DS1 had upper and lower expanders and braces on upper teeth for Phase One. This took about 11 months (braces were only on for the last six months), and he's now in a retainer. Cost was $2500, insurance covered $1000. He also had a frenectomy before the braces, but that was separate, through an oral surgeon.

He'll have braces again, but not sure what the cost will be for Phase Two. I'm sure without the earlier treatment, he would likely have needed teeth extracted.