PDA

View Full Version : Sibling joint B-day party: gifts/no gifts?

misshollygolightly
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Another thread got me thinking about this. We're planning on having a joint b-day party for DS (turning 4) and DD (turning 1) this June. Their b-days are only 4 days apart, we'd be inviting the same group of people to both parties if we had separate ones, and both kids are young enough that it just makes sense. In fact, DS is quite excited about the idea of them having a party together! I'm thinking of a cowboys/cowgirls kind of theme and I'll definitely have separate cakes for them both (though DD's may only be a cupcake ;)). Anyway, here's my question: should I make this a no-gifts party? DS's first two b-days were no gifts, and his 3rd b-day was a conventional gifts party (we wanted him to really feel he was getting lots of attention and that his b-day wasn't overshadowed or "ruined" by DD's untimely arrival!). He enjoyed getting/opening his gifts and I think it's likely he'd miss it if we made this party a no-gifts thing (though I know he'd have a great time anyway). But I feel weird NOT specifying "no gifts" because I don't want people to feel obligated to buy two, equally nice gifts for our two kids (two gifts at $15-20 each really starts to add up!). Obviously, DD is too little to really know what's going on so the presents would probably be wasted on her...or maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe she'd be upset if she saw DS opening a bunch of gifts? At any rate, it'd be tacky to tell people "please bring DS a gift but don't bring one for DD". Ugh. What are your thoughts? All the party guests will be families who know us as a family, if that makes a difference. So, gifts or no gifts? WWYD?

elephantmeg
05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
we always do gifts (are area doesn't really do non-gifts) and I think that is the best reason to have a sib party (they each have their own stack and so they aren't trying to get the other ones'). My guess is DD will notice. DD at 1 was much more observant than DS was (DS wanted nothing to do with his 1st b-day presents!)

infomama
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
As the hostess I would just send out the invites with no mention of gifts. As an invite recipient I would gladly bring two gifts without a second thought.

misshollygolightly
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
As the hostess I would just send out the invites with no mention of gifts. As an invite recipient I would gladly bring two gifts without a second thought.

Thank you. That's how I'd feel if I was an invited guest...as a hostess, I think I'm just overthinking it :)

vonfirmath
05-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Another thread got me thinking about this. We're planning on having a joint b-day party for DS (turning 4) and DD (turning 1) this June. Their b-days are only 4 days apart, we'd be inviting the same group of people to both parties if we had separate ones, and both kids are young enough that it just makes sense. In fact, DS is quite excited about the idea of them having a party together! I'm thinking of a cowboys/cowgirls kind of theme and I'll definitely have separate cakes for them both (though DD's may only be a cupcake ;)). Anyway, here's my question: should I make this a no-gifts party? DS's first two b-days were no gifts, and his 3rd b-day was a conventional gifts party (we wanted him to really feel he was getting lots of attention and that his b-day wasn't overshadowed or "ruined" by DD's untimely arrival!). He enjoyed getting/opening his gifts and I think it's likely he'd miss it if we made this party a no-gifts thing (though I know he'd have a great time anyway). But I feel weird NOT specifying "no gifts" because I don't want people to feel obligated to buy two, equally nice gifts for our two kids (two gifts at $15-20 each really starts to add up!). Obviously, DD is too little to really know what's going on so the presents would probably be wasted on her...or maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe she'd be upset if she saw DS opening a bunch of gifts? At any rate, it'd be tacky to tell people "please bring DS a gift but don't bring one for DD". Ugh. What are your thoughts? All the party guests will be families who know us as a family, if that makes a difference. So, gifts or no gifts? WWYD?

OOOh. I'll be watching this.
My kids are 7 days apart, born in August last year. Turning 5 and 1 this year. We are doing a cowboy/cowgirl part for the 5 year old this year and NOT doing a party for the baby at all. (She won't care). I figure his birthday last year got a bit overshadowed so we're focusing on him this year.