PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Washington DC area

Mamabear4
05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I have another thread asking for advice on the scenario in general:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=432407
but I'm hoping to get some feedback on living in DC with kids on a tight budget.

Anyone out there live (or used to live) in DC/DC area? We'd return to our hometown Spring of 2014 and DS1 enters Kindy in Fall of 2014, so we don't really need to think about schools in terms of location. I'm assuming that we could find a good preschool in any area.

We have BIL & SIL in Capitol Hill area and would like to stay within a short distance of them, if possible. We'd likely be renting.

I'd be staying home (for the first time ever, other than my maternity leaves) - what fun things do you do with your kiddos in DC? Please tell me the good/bad/ugly about the area!

HIU8
05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I live in the burbs in MD. I rarely go into DC (it's only about 25 minutes by car or a metro ride in for me) except for doc appts or to take the kids to a museum. I cannot speak to actually living in DC proper, except that my experience with friends who live in DC is that they live(lived) in NW DC. I know ppl who live in Arlington and Alexandria, VA and the commute is a little closer. I also have lived in Bethesda and have family who live in Chevy Chase, both in MD, and the commute from there (metro) to downtown is not bad at all. Traffic in general around town and the beltway is pretty bad. Rush hour (even out by me) almost lasts all day long. You do get used to the traffic though. I assume you will not need to use your car as much if you live in DC proper, esp if you live walking distance to a metro station.

You will have a large list of preschools to pick from (private) if you intend to have your kids in preschool. You will need a smart trip reloadable card to ride the metro. They just announced that ppl buying paper cards from the machines at the stations will be paying a $1 fee to get the card on top of what they put on the card to get to their destination. I'm not sure at what age a child needs to pay to ride though.

When we do go downtown we do the museums (esp the building museum--my kids love that). There are moms groups around (although I'm not part of one) that you can find out about by going to dcurbanmoms.com.

Hope this helps a little.

Mamabear4
05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Thank you! I'm going to start researching :)

legaleagle
05-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I live way out in the suburbs (Montgomery county, outside the beltway) so we don't get into the city proper often but there is a ton of kid friendly stuff going on, both in and out of the city. My BFF teaches preschool at a very good school in NW-there are lots of good choices.

A couple blogs of kid activities http://kidfriendlydc.com/ http://aparentinsilverspring.com/

TwinFoxes
05-10-2012, 08:55 AM
I promised in the other thread I'd answer, and I forgot! Maybe more DC moms will chime in, we have quite a few. M-H lives in the District, so hopefully she'll weigh in. I live in the 'burbs now, but lived in the District pre-kids. There are some nice parts of Capitol Hill. It's a walkable neighborhood, like most of DC. There's an indoor playspace that I'm blanking on the name. Lots of restaurants and little shops. Eastern Market, which is an farmers market type setting is nearby, and on the weekends there's a flea market outside.

I think DC has a LOT to do with kids. So many free museums, festivals, exhibits. As I'm sure you know, most of the schools are really bad. Shockingly bad, but I don't think you'll have to worry about that, right? There is crime, but the crime rate is much less than it was in the past. I don't think it's worse than most big cities now (but I'm not positive).

The Metro used to be awesome, it has gone down hill fast. Pushing a stroller and riding the Metro is a royal pain. So many out of service elevators. I'm surprised the gov't hasn't come down on the system for repeated ADA violations, if you have a wheelchair you're screwed.

If you live in parts of VA (Arlington, parts of Alexandria) it's a quick drive to Capitol Hill, so don't be afraid to look outside the District.

mommylamb
05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm in NOVA, but like TwinFoxes, I lived in the city pre-kids. Capital Hill is expensive, but parts of it are very family friendly. If you're looking into that area, check out the group Moms on the Hill (MOTH). I think they have a Face Book page you could like and then ask specific questions to other moms in that area.

I would caution that childcare in the city is a PITA. I know you said you would be staying home, but if you're even planning on pre-school you can plan on a lot of competition getting a slot.

DC is a great place to raise kids though because there is so much to do with them. We really enjoy this city.

Are there other areas of the city that you're interested in, or are you at all entertaining the idea of moving to the burbs? Arlington and Alexandria, especially Old Town and Del Ray areas are great for an urban, yet child friendly feel. I don't know Maryland at all, so I can't speak to it.

knaidel
05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
my cousin lives in capital hill with her kids, she really likes the area.

when i drive home from work, I usually drive up 16th street area...I love the neighborhoods around there in the NW part of the city: 16th st. heights, Shepard hill, cathedral heights, etc.... seem to have a nice 'city outskirts" feel.

Also, I wouldn't disregard some MD suburbs of DC, specifically silver spring and takoma park, which are fairly easy commutes into the city. I don't know much about VA suburbs, but people seem to like those areas, too.

dcmom2b3
05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey Mamabear!

The Bunny and I live on Capitol Hill and love it. The neighborhood is chock-full of families with kids, I have seven on my block alone, ages 2-12, and a bunch more within walking distance. It's nice to be able to walk to pajama parties and playdates, parks, etc. There's Capitol Hill Arts Workshop for dance/art activities and lessons, and the Family Room, an indoor play space. As TwinFoxes said, it's a walkable neighborhood, with Eastern Market and its weekend flea, shops, restaurants, etc. It is urban, and there are nuisances and trade-offs associated with that, but to me it's worth it.

Based on what you posted in the other thread, your DH would have the sweetest. commute. evah. (assuming he's posted at the agency's headquarters) from the northeast part of the Hill. Like 5-10 blocks. That said, ás long as you're close to a Red line metro station, his commute is always going to be fairly easy, except for when the Red line has delays/problems.

If I were you, my only reservation would be the preschool situation. This late in the season it will be difficult (I don't want to say impossible, but darn close without luck and divine intervention) to snag a neighborhood preschool spot, public or private, for your DC starting next fall. That's the downside of the "family boom" on the Hill -- childcare/early education supply hasn't kept up with the demand. If you are set on preschool for your DC next year, you might have to look to other 'hoods in the city (which is what I did -- enrolled her in late May in a school in another neighborhood), or the close in MD and VA suburbs.

Let me do a little digging to see if I can come up with phone numbers/websites for preschool resources here on the Hill. If you'd like, I can post an inquiry on moms on the hill (MOTH, mentioned upthread), to summon the collective current wisdom of MOTH-dom. :D

I would loooove to have a BBB neighbor IRL!

Mamabear4
05-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Thank you all so much!

DCMom - what's the mix of stay at home vs working moms in Capitol Hill? I would be a brand new SAHM and the prospect excites (but also terrifies) me, but i want to make sure I have something in common with the neighbors (i.e. not going to the park with all the nannies)

I may pm you with a couple more questions if that's ok, too!

dec756
05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
i live in fairfax county (specifically burke) and it is awesome for families. if you have any questions you can PM me but FYI it is not by any means cheap in this area.

dcmom2b3
05-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Thank you all so much!

DCMom - what's the mix of stay at home vs working moms in Capitol Hill? I would be a brand new SAHM and the prospect excites (but also terrifies) me, but i want to make sure I have something in common with the neighbors (i.e. not going to the park with all the nannies)

I may pm you with a couple more questions if that's ok, too!

Bring all questions! I'm happy to help in any way that I can!

It's my sense that the mix of SAHM vs WOHM skews toward WOH, but my info is stale and imperfect. My perspective is also shaped by the fact that I live in one of the later neighborhoods to be "gentrified" (hate that word) on the Hill. My street is very different from 3rd Street, 6th Street or 8th Street. There also are differences between living in the northeast quadrant, as opposed to southeast. There may be more SAHM on the west side of the Hill; I don't want to give you even more to think or worry about, but I do want to be upfront about my perspective about life on the "Hill."

I do remember being the only mommy in the park on at least a couple of occasions when DD was little. But it's been more than three years since I was SAH, and my neighborhood has changed since then, just judging by the strollers I see.

We're walking out to Eastern Market tomorrow for shopping, soft prezels and crepes; I'll ask the owners of the toy stores, the baby boutique, and the kids' consignment store what their impressions are re: SAH vs WOH mix. [Yes, that was a shameless, un-subtle plug for our nabe. ;)]

Two other observations: there seem to be a bunch of work at home parents here, as well as other parents who WOH but have (to my mind)really flexible schedules, such that if you're in the park at 3:30-4:00 pm, it's primarily parents you'll see, esp. of preschool-aged kids. So there are plenty of opportunities to meet other parents in the early afternoon. I've met some of my (now) dearest friends at the park!

BTW, if you want me to post any of these queries on the MOTH listserve, please just give the word. I'd never use your username or any remotely identifying info, and would be happy to pm you with the language of any proposed posts for your approval. I'm chagrined that I'm only giving you my perspective when I could collect many more, but I'm not comfortable putting questions to a larger group without your express okay.

Mamabear4
05-11-2012, 09:47 PM
OMG - you are all so awesome in your responses - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! My DH came home tonight (traveled this week) and said he'd spoken with his partners and they don't think the opportunity is viable for this year. I guess the firm has already chosen the candidate they will sponsor for the role. I'm so irritated that we went though this roller-coaster over the past few days, only to have it not even be a real opportunity. And I think it allowed me to see my true feelings more clearly - I would LOVE, love, love to stay home with my kids (and to have a number 3 next year). And i was really excited about DC, being near our BIL & SIL (and meeting some BBBers in real life!) Ugh- So I guess now we're looking at a crappy year of DH traveling most weeks.
On the bright side, we will now have the opportunity to either start saving my salary so we can afford for me ti stay home sooner than originally planned or try to work out a part time gig with my employer.

citymama
05-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Former decade long DC resident here (Adams Morgan/NW DC) and I loved it! So much to do with kids, its silly! And all free too. The Building Museum and National Zoo are favorites with toddlers. Capitol Hill has changed so much since I was there - much more family friendly - and DCMom has great advice for you. Enjoy!