PDA

View Full Version : Jumping on the Mother's Day bandwagon...

bekahjean
05-09-2012, 10:15 AM
DH is going to be gone this weekend. He was voluntold that he would be gone from Thursday to Monday. If he hadn't volunteered for the "good deal" trip, he would have been assigned to the "bad" trip. I've been having a rough time adjusting to him being back from his deployment, so I was bummed to hear that he volunteered to be gone for Mother's Day. I decided to go visit our families so that I wouldn't be sitting around the house feeling sorry for myself.

He has done nothing to indicate that he was doing anything for me for Mother's Day. No hint of a gift, no indication that we would do something before he left or after he got home. So I am even more annoyed that I just got an email from UPS saying that I would get a delivery from Proflowers. On Friday. When I was planning to be out of town.

I appreciate that he did, in fact, make an effort to do something for me. But at the same time, way to to screw up my plans! And, while I like flowers, it feels like a throw away gift considering that he just bought himself an iPad. I know it's supposed to be the thought that counts, but I would like there to be a little bit more equality in our gifts. And maybe he has some big surprise planned and I'm just a b*tch for assuming that this is another ruined gift for me. But I doubt it.

And now I'm done whining. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

gatorsmom
05-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry. I would be upset, too, that HE got the ipad and you got the flowers. So, for Father's day, YOU should get yourself an ipad and get him a tie. :icon_twisted:

Is there a way the flower shop can deliver the flowers earlier? Or for the day you come back so you can enjoy them?

bekahjean
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
That would be a good solution, except that it's not a flower shop. It's drop shipped in a box, so it will just sit outside the house all weekend unless I change my trip. Good call on the tie for fathers day. :)

carolinamama
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Not sure this is an option but there is no way I'd change travel plans to wait for a box of flowers. They will die within a week anyway. (Can you tell I'm not a huge flower person?!) Anyway, I'm sorry that this all through a wrench in your plans. Hope you find a solution that works best for you.

nfowife
05-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Call proflowers and see if you can change the ship/delivery date. Sorry that your mothers day isn't going like you wanted and deserve. Mine usually stinks too. I told DH no more flowers ever. Just a waste and one more thing to take care of!

roseyloxs
05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I hear ya. My ds is 5 this year. My husband has been gone for all 5 Mother's Days including this one of course. Thanks Air Force. I also haven't heard of any plans to make my day a good one despite him being out of town. :hug: P&PT that your kids give you a peaceful day. I know that's all I ever ask for.

bekahjean
05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Ok, you win! We had it easy when we were stationed in MS, since as a pilot instructor, he was home almost every night. Now that we are back in AMC, I'm having a hard time adjusting to him being gone in combination with the kiddos. I'm trying to feel grateful, but failing horribly.

ljackson
05-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Could you ask a neighbor to take in the flowers until you get back?

bekahjean
05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Could you ask a neighbor to take in the flowers until you get back?

Unfortunately, we don't know ANY of our neighbors. We recently moved back to the area and moved into (what we thought was) a nice house in a nice neighborhood. But everyone is very unfriendly and we have made no connections here. I wouldn't want the neighbors knowing that the house was empty for the weekend.