PDA

View Full Version : "Non-gratuity" salon?

Liziz
05-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Have you ever heard of this? I'm getting my hair done somewhere new today, and on their website it states that "<salon> is a non-gratuity salon". It seems like that means that the stylists don't accept tips, but I've never heard of this before....do I really not tip? Or is it one of those things that's a "we don't expect it, but always appreciate it"...any ideas? I'm always a very good tipper and would hate to walk out w/o tipping, but the prices are pretty high, so maybe the tip really is just built into the price?

crl
05-09-2012, 12:16 PM
I would call and ask. I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like no tips to me.

Catherine

lines
05-09-2012, 12:32 PM
We have one here. You don't tip : )

bekahjean
05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I've been to one like that before. The price is the price, and they will graciously decline the tip. It's less stressful and I love it.

Liziz
05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Ok, thanks for the confirmation....seems like it will make it easier!

iaam
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
All Aveda salons are 'non-gratuity'. If offered a tip, they politely tell you that they don't accept tips (happened to me the first time I went to one).

infomama
05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
We have one here. You don't tip : )
:yeahthat:

boilermakermom
05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes! I had used one when I lived in Indianapolis. I loved it! It was so nice not figuring out tip, adding money on if I decided at the last minute to do my eyebrows, highlights, etc.

They asked for referrals instead of tips! Love it!

queenmama
05-09-2012, 02:01 PM
All Aveda salons are 'non-gratuity'. If offered a tip, they politely tell you that they don't accept tips (happened to me the first time I went to one).

Ha! I've been going to Aveda for 10 years and the two stylists (different salons) never decline(d) tips from me!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

AnnieW625
05-09-2012, 02:16 PM

I went to one Aveda salon that was non gratuity, but I felt that they marked up their prices to cover the tips and IMHO the salon ended up not being worth it. I ended up going back to the prior Aveda salon I was going to and I tip and have never been told not to so I think it is probably something the owner can decide.

Prior to going to that Aveda salon I always tipped except when my hairdresser I had when I was in college told me I didn't need to tip her because she knew I was a college student.

BayGirl2
05-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Love this concept. I feel we tip too much when we should just pay for good service. But I also already feel my salon is super expensive when i get my hair highlighted.

kmkaull
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Not true. I've been to several Aveda salons and not one was not-gratuity.

Anyway, I love this concept and wish it would come to my neck of the woods!

mikala
05-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I've been to one like that before. The price is the price, and they will graciously decline the tip. It's less stressful and I love it.

:yeahthat: It's so nice to leave without the typical percentage calculation and wondering if you're being stingy or overly generous. (or maybe I'm the only one that worries about how my tip will reflect both on me and my impression of the service???)

Liziz
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Interesting...this was in fact an Aveda salon. I asked when I was paying, too, because there wasn't any sign up there (like there was online) saying no-gratuity. The check-out woman assured me that they really meant "no tips", and my credit card slip didn't have that tip line on it! I think the cut was a bit overpriced, so in reality I know I "paid" for the tip, but I did like not having to figure it out and decide how much to tip, etc.