PDA

View Full Version : (When) did you teach your son to pee standing up?

buddyleebaby
05-09-2012, 12:32 PM
This is our first time potty training a boy and we're both clueless. :rotflmao:

Do you teach them to stand up to pee or is this something they figure out they can do on their own when they're ready?

crl
05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
We taught him sitting and he figured out standing on his own a year or two later.

Catherine

HIU8
05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
We taught him sitting. However, DH taught him to stand when using a public toilet (even if he had to hold him up). That started right when he PT'd at age 3.5.

brittone2
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
DS1 was standing to pee between age 2-3. Closer to 3. He disliked public toilets (too loud) and loved the urinal LOL. I still remember Dh taking him into Panera's RR while I was eating dinner, and then the door opening on the way back out with DS1 saying loudly, "Mommy guess what? I used the urinal!" in a triumphant voice. Thankfully the other patrons chuckled.

He also peed a lot outside (very private backyard) which helped with aim I think LOL.

He was always really neat and it wasn't an issue.

DS2 is a young 2, and we are nowhere near the point where I'd introduce standing. He sits happily and that's what I'm sticking with for now.

I think it depends on the kid. I'd stick with sitting for as long as you can get away with it. There are some kids who handle standing very well though...really and truly, DS1 never made a mess with standing.

iaam
05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
We started out with standing to pee, because that's how they did it in preschool. DS was about 3.

KpbS
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
We taught both DS1 and DS2 standing b/c it was just easier and believe it or not less messy that way. :) We used a little step stool (just one step up) from Ikea because they were both about 2 3/4 yo and needed a bit of extra height.

queenmama
05-09-2012, 02:10 PM
He was probably 4 or 5 before he'd go standing up. He had kind of a mental block, we think.

MIL "made" DH go sitting down after his last teenage growth spurt made standing too messy (and DH is a very conscientious guy, so it's not like he was splashing it around on purpose LOL). DH & DS both sit at home and stand in public restrooms. Seeing as I will have two dudes over 6', I'm thankful I won't have to clean up their splashes.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

edurnemk
05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I taught DS to pee sitting down. You really don't want them trying to master their aim at the same time they are learning to go potty and always going at the last minute. :rotflmao: When he'd been PT'd for about a year DH taught him to pee standing up, he still misses sometimes...thanks, DH, I love scrubbing bathrooms.

DS PT'd at 2.5 yo so he started peeing standing up close to 3.5 yo.

georgiegirl
05-09-2012, 02:29 PM
DS (2.) has been in underwear for about a month. About 2 weeks ago, I taught him to pee standing up...but only to pee outside. He's small and he'd pee all over the toilet if I let I'm pee standing up inside. He loves loves loves to pee on trees.

BayGirl2
05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
DS has been PT'ing since last August and we still have him sit. He's tried to stand up because he sees kids do it at school, but he usually gives up and sits. He just doesn't have the control down there to aim.

The kids at school seem to "lean" over the bowl on their kid-sized toilets. DH says this is not the correct way and he thinks the female teachers taught them that. Either way, we're not ready for standing yet. A lot of growth to be had before he can really do it neatly.

hillview
05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
We started out with standing to pee, [snip]. DS was about 3.
:yeahthat:

We used a peter poty for a few weeks which helped.

MommyAllison
05-09-2012, 05:33 PM
DS turned 4 last week and still sits. Maybe we'll teach him to pee standing this summer? Maybe not. :)

alexsmommy
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Taught him sitting, DH taught them standing once they were well PT'd in public restrooms and the complete switch was made once DS1 started K. I figure DS2 will do the same.

indigo99
05-09-2012, 07:18 PM
We started out with standing to pee, because that's how they did it in preschool. DS was about 3.

Oh no. I hadn't thought of this. DH sits to pee at home. I actually love that and don't want DS to pee standing up at home. However, DS will be going to preschool in the fall, and that's when we plan to PT. I want to teach him to pee sitting down first for home and then teach him to go standing up in public toilets. If they teach the boys to go standing up then that might be an issue... or do I want him to go standing up at preschool anyway? The whole room will be full of PTing kids.

niccig
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Taught him sitting, DH taught them standing once they were well PT'd in public restrooms and the complete switch was made once DS1 started K. I figure DS2 will do the same.

This is was us too, but I taught DS how to pee standing up. DH then taught him how to do it in the public restroom without pulling your pants down. I hadn't thought of that when I was teaching him at home. DH said he was in public restroom at urinal beside DS and all of a sudden DS has pants around his ankles. So I taught DS and DH fine tuned the technique.

edurnemk
05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
This is was us too, but I taught DS how to pee standing up. DH then taught him how to do it in the public restroom without pulling your pants down. I hadn't thought of that when I was teaching him at home. DH said he was in public restroom at urinal beside DS and all of a sudden DS has pants around his ankles. So I taught DS and DH fine tuned the technique.

Same here, DS would pull his pants all the way down, and then one day he started doing it without pulling his pants down. Unfortunately he always got some pee on his pants when he did that at first. I asked him to pull them all the way down, and he said "Daddy taught me like this". I asked DH why he had to do that since it meant more laundry for me and he also gave me the public restroom reasoning, he doesn't want DS to expose himself so much. I would've never thought of that.

elephantmeg
05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
he's 6 and still sitting unless he is peeing on a tree :)

BillK
05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
We all sit at my house. In public the boys and I stand since we dont have to clean THOSE bathrooms. ;)

And they learned to stand when they were probably about 3ish at Grammy and Pappys house in the woods where there's a tree every 5 feet for 10 acres. :)

elliput
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
DS figured it out on his own almost right away. I think he only sat to pee a handful of times. Surprisingly, he's got pretty good aim.

The problem with this is that now he won't sit on the potty to poop. :irked:

khalloc
05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
My DS potty trained overnight pretty much. He was about 2 months shy of turning 3. I had him sit on the potty to pee. Within 3-6 months he was peeing standing up. He saw another kid do it at school and after that he always wanted to pee standing up. Also, he is REALLY good at it. I've never had him pee on the floor or the seat (much).

almostmom
05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Am I the only one who has never heard of a guy peeing while sitting?

I taught DS standing when he was 2.5. It never occurred to me to teach him otherwise! And I wouldn't say there is any noticeable mess.

buddyleebaby
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM

I taught DS standing when he was 2.5. It never occurred to me to teach him otherwise! And I wouldn't say there is any noticeable mess.

No, my Mom hasn't either, apparently. That's what inspired the thread. :ROTFLMAO:

I taught DS to sit. We don't have a kid potty and it didn't look like he would be tall enough to use the full size toilet. I also taught him to dab with a square of TP when he's done. I just assumed that when he's ready to pee standing up, he'd figure it out. Lord knows he's figured out plenty of other things he can do with his penis.
Anyway, my mom noticed when we were on vacation together and thought it was hilarious and I starting thinking maybe I was wrong on my assumption.
Oh well.

Giantbear
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
DS1 was standing to pee between age 2-3. Closer to 3. He disliked public toilets (too loud) and loved the urinal LOL. I still remember Dh taking him into Panera's RR while I was eating dinner, and then the door opening on the way back out with DS1 saying loudly, "Mommy guess what? I used the urinal!" in a triumphant voice. Thankfully the other patrons chuckled.

He also peed a lot outside (very private backyard) which helped with aim I think LOL.

He was always really neat and it wasn't an issue.

DS2 is a young 2, and we are nowhere near the point where I'd introduce standing. He sits happily and that's what I'm sticking with for now.

I think it depends on the kid. I'd stick with sitting for as long as you can get away with it. There are some kids who handle standing very well though...really and truly, DS1 never made a mess with standing.Peeing outside is truly one of the great pleasures of being a man

For better aim, drop some cherios or fruit loops in a bowl for target practice.

Giantbear
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
No, my Mom hasn't either, apparently. That's what inspired the thread. :ROTFLMAO:

I taught DS to sit. We don't have a kid potty and it didn't look like he would be tall enough to use the full size toilet. I also taught him to dab with a square of TP when he's done. I just assumed that when he's ready to pee standing up, he'd figure it out. Lord knows he's figured out plenty of other things he can do with his penis.
Anyway, my mom noticed when we were on vacation together and thought it was hilarious and I starting thinking maybe I was wrong on my assumption.
Oh well.sigh....... I weep for him..... Tell him three shakes, anything more is just for fun

Giantbear
05-10-2012, 11:58 AM
We all sit at my house. In public the boys and I stand since we dont have to clean THOSE bathrooms. ;)

And they learned to stand when they were probably about 3ish at Grammy and Pappys house in the woods where there's a tree every 5 feet for 10 acres. :)A small part of me just died when reading this...... sniff.....sniff....

lizzywednesday
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
He was probably 4 or 5 before he'd go standing up. He had kind of a mental block, we think.

MIL "made" DH go sitting down after his last teenage growth spurt made standing too messy (and DH is a very conscientious guy, so it's not like he was splashing it around on purpose LOL). DH & DS both sit at home and stand in public restrooms. Seeing as I will have two dudes over 6', I'm thankful I won't have to clean up their splashes.

Be thankful that your guys are considerate.

My brother Ger is over 6' and decided it made more sense to pee in the SINK than in the toilet ... oh. my. gosh. THAT was an epic disaster.

And, strangely, it's not the ick-factor that's the most disturbing part of that scenario, it's the corrosive nature of his urine on the sink fixtures.

khalloc
05-10-2012, 12:26 PM

I had never heard of a grown man peeing until a thread like this not that long ago. I was shocked! I asked DH about it and he couldnt believe that some guys always sit to pee? He said he has only done it a few times. Like if he is really sick/nauseous and feels faint. Even if he has to go #2 also, he will do that, then stand up and pee. I think I would think of my DH as less manly if he sat to pee all the time. Crazy, but i just would!

Giantbear
05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I had never heard of a grown man peeing until a thread like this not that long ago. I was shocked! I asked DH about it and he couldnt believe that some guys always sit to pee? He said he has only done it a few times. Like if he is really sick/nauseous and feels faint. Even if he has to go #2 also, he will do that, then stand up and pee. I think I would think of my DH as less manly if he sat to pee all the time. Crazy, but i just would!:eek:
:duck:

buddyleebaby
05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
sigh....... I weep for him..... Tell him three shakes, anything more is just for fun

Good Charlotte says two is the limit.
Mixed messages, men folk. Mixed messages.

maestramommy
05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I remember my lil bro always standing to pee. My sis says she remembers my dad showing him how to. I remember this because in the beginning he still needed help getting his pants down and onto a stepstool. Eventually he didn't need to pull his pants down and by then he was taking care of it himself. He was probably 3 or 4?

niccig
05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
My Dad always sits to pee - yes this gets discussed in my family, boundaries are a serious issue.

DH, DS stand. DS isn't messy, except one time he called out to me. Somehow he managed to fall while peeing and he didn't stop peeing. I had to clorox the wall.

LKMang
05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
question for those of you whose DS sits to pee...what do you do when you go out?? we started potty training ds about a month ago and he is fine sitting on the potty with his little potty seat on it, but i've been wanted to get him to stand up to make it easier when we have to use a public bathroom. i think he's scared he will fall in without the potty seat on it.

mom3boys
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I taught DS1 sitting because I read in a potty-training book that's what I should do. Also, it made it easier in public toilets (when I was taking him in the ladies room, he wasn't tall enough to stand), and it helped him learn to poo in the potty also. In fact, he had some issue with going poo in the potty long after he was trained to pee, (scared to do it) then we just "got lucky" one day that he sat to pee and happened to go poo in the potty too, realized it wasn't scary, and basically was fully potty-trained after that one time. He started standing when he was about 4? On his own with some motivation from DH.

DS2 pretty much always stood though. I think it was because he saw DH and DS1 doing it all the time. He is tall for his age so he also could "reach" the toilet. If you use this method I suppose the benefit is you can have the kid aim at something you throw in the toilet as motivation! (DH or I had to help with DS2's aim initially, i.e. literally hold his penis and direct it to the right area, but he got the hang of it pretty quickly).

Both my sons actually have very good aim except when they occasionally forget to put the seat up before going, or in the middle of the night. The benefit to them standing now too is that I can bring them in the public bathroom and they don't have to touch a toilet seat.

klwa
05-10-2012, 01:48 PM
We taught sitting & then he figured out standing on his own after watching Daddy, male cousins, etc.

niccig
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
question for those of you whose DS sits to pee...what do you do when you go out?? we started potty training ds about a month ago and he is fine sitting on the potty with his little potty seat on it, but i've been wanted to get him to stand up to make it easier when we have to use a public bathroom. i think he's scared he will fall in without the potty seat on it.

This is where standing helps. I had DS stand on my feet, so he was tall enough to pee into the toilet. If he sat, I had to hold him so didn't fall in. DS did sit for longest time at home, standing was only public restrooms. Now, he stands at home too.

GaPeach_in_Ca
05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
All of my boys, young and old, sit to pee. No big deal. I don't know what they do when out & about. If they are in the ladies, I sit them on the potty. Outside, they will stand up.