PDA

View Full Version : If you wear make up

infomama
05-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Did you buy good brushes? I wear very little makeup basically because i don't have the confidence in my application technique. I have been checking out some YouTube tutorials lately and they all seem to be consistently mentioning Sigma brushes. Must I have these? Will they help me?

Also, since I go for the natural look but realize I need coverage...what should i use for everyday? I'm thinking
Tinted moisturizer or foundation (always see it applied with a brush)
Consealer
Bronzer or "warmth"
Shadow in neutral shades (this part I am most inept at)
Mascara
Gloss

Thoughts?

HIU8
05-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Ok, what constitutes a good brush? Not being snarky here. I bought my latest from Target for around $10 (blush brush). I do wear makeup daily. I wear:
foundation
a tiny bit of concealor
poweder
eye liner
blush
lip gloss

I only do shadow for special occasions and generally tend to stay away from mascara.

twowhat?
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
A good brush makes a big difference, IMO. I bought a nice set of brushes when I used to use traditional liquid foundation followed by powder, blush, etc.

But now I use mineral makeup and so brush quality is probably even more important. The brushes that came with the Bare Minerals kit are great and I love that they have short handles, so they travel easily. I think you can get good brushes from Sephora or the like.

brittone2
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Ecotools from Ulta get decent reviews over at makeupalley, and they are affordable. I have one brush and it is good. Years ago I bought an expensive lancome flat top and it never impressed me.

I do think some brushes are worth the extra money.

infomama
05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Ok, what constitutes a good brush? Not being snarky here.

your askin the wrong person ;) I assume it has a lot to do with the bristles but what do I know.

bigsis
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
By no stretch of the imagination do I myself fancy myself a makeup expert ;) but I do put makeup on every.single.day. I use Target's makeup brushes.

I think your list is very good. It will make you look put together. Maybe just add blush???

infomama
05-09-2012, 09:18 PM
But now I use mineral makeup and so brush quality is probably even more important. The brushes that came with the Bare Minerals kit are great and I love that they have short handles, so they travel easily. I think you can get good brushes from Sephora or the like.

I wish I could wear mineral makeup. It looks like crap on me.

twowhat?
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I wish I could wear mineral makeup. It looks like crap on me.

That's a bummer:( I love the one-step application!

infomama
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
By no stretch of the imagination do I myself fancy myself a makeup expert ;) but I do put makeup on every.single.day. I use Target's makeup brushes.

I think your list is very good. It will make you look put together. Maybe just add blush???

Blush...right, I forgot about that. I watched one tutorial where she used a little cream pot for cheek color and then a hi lighter at the edges of that area.

pastrygirl
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes, I have good brushes. I don't use most of them anymore, since I've switched to cream and gel makeup, and can just use my fingers. I have a combo of Mac brushes, Philosophy (supernatural foundation brush is AWESOME), and Bare Escentuals (hate most of these -- so scratchy).

I used to use mineral makeup because I didn't wear it every day and wanted the super-long shelf life. Now that I wear makeup daily, I use "regular" stuff. Eyeshadow (cream), eyeliner (pencil -- liquid looks harsh on me), and blush (cream or gel, sometimes powder). Lately I've been remembering to put on some lip gloss, too.

When I use powder blush, I like to use a Kabuki brush. I do the very basics with shadow and blush. No contouring or anything. I'm not there yet. Also, I don't use foundation or concealer. Maybe one day I will, but I don't think I need it now.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a mix of Sephora brand brushes and random freebie things my mom acquired in things like Clinique goody bags. I had a cheap mineral foundation brush from Target and it scratched. Yuck. I don't think you need to go crazy though.
I use:
Everyday Minerals' foundation applied with a Bare Minerals' hand me down brush (I think you just need practice with the minerals- key is extremely, extremely light- ask at Sephora- they'll show you)
Sephora blush with a Clinique blush brush
eye shadow is a mix of Everyday Minerals and Ulta, applied either with my fingers or a Sephora angled eye shadow brush
Everyday Mineral's eye liner applied with a Sephora brush that I wet since the EM is powdered
lip gloss (love my L'Oreal Sangria!!)
Clinique Natural mascara

m448
05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Makeup and I have had quite the long love affair with only a slight hiccup due to babies/lack of sleep. ;)

I buy makeup brushes like I do pots and pans, never in a set and I'm not brand loyal. I find the best brush for the job and some are pricey, while others are not. My favorites are mac and sigma. The mac brushes (the full sized ones, not the SE, special edition brushes) are decent quality. I recently bought some sigma brushes (the f80 for foundation, the f35 and a countouring brush) that I love so far and don't seem to shed at all. For blush I splurged some gift money on a shu uemura blush brush but only because I was sick and tired of crappy brushes shedding hair all over my face and that even happens to mac. It's a law of the larger the brush the more likely it is to shed since there's more hair and less ferule.

I do like sonia kashuk for eye brushes. Her face brushes shed like crazy cats but the eye brushes are solid performers and a great price. I typically stick to natural hair for any powder products since you won't pick up much with taklon (which is why it's great for cream/liquid products). Smashbox had some pretty good brushes too.

mackmama
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Do you have a Saks near you? They have great makeup experts who really taught me a lot about makeup application and what was needed for the 'natural' look. I also like Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier at Nordstrom's and have had good luck with their consultants.

I don't usually wear makeup but, when I do, here are my tips:

Brushes: I usually use my hands to save time although I have noticed that the foundation often looks better with the brush. If I do use a brush, I really like Armani brushes although I like Sephora's also.

Foundation: I need medium coverage and have very sensitive skin that breaks out at the drop of a hat. I've had good luck with Dermalogica products and love their tinted moisturizer. I use both the light and medium, put a little of both on my fingers, mix together, and apply to my face. I also like Armani foundation for a bit heavier coverage.

Concealer: I rarely use concealer, although I've tried a bunch and like Bobbi Brown's the best.

Powder: I never use powder because I think it makes me look older and settles in my lines. (Maybe I don't apply it correctly.)

Eyeliner: If I'm using dark eyeliner, I learned a trick (from Saks) where I make little dashes with it right on top of the base of my lashes. It looks better and more natural than a line that is placed right above the lashes. I like Armani's blue-black eyeliner. If I'm using a light eyeliner (which can look nice and brightens your eyes if applied along the lower lash line), I like Stila's smudge sticks in Smoke or Kitten. http://www.sephora.com/smudge-crayon-waterproof-eye-primer-shadow-liner-P302634?skuId=1389196

Eyeshadow: I love Stila's smudge sticks. http://www.sephora.com/smudge-crayon-waterproof-eye-primer-shadow-liner-P302634?skuId=1389196 As mentioned above, I use it as both eyeliner and eyeshadow. They are chunky like a thick pen and super easy to apply. Urban decay also makes a great eyeshadow that seems to have kind of a cult following. http://www.sephora.com/eyeshadow-primer-potion-tube-sin-P284717?skuId=1325554 (I apply a *tiny* bit with a brush- a little goes a long way, but it adds a nice subtle sheen.)

Mascara: Mascara is a must for me if I'm applying makeup, since I have blond lashes that look invisible without it. I really like the Givenchy mascara although it is $$.

Blush: I don't use blush but do like a bronzer/luminizer - I like Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Brick. http://www.sephora.com/shimmer-brick-pink-quartz-P271905

Gloss: This is often the only thing I wear if I'm in public. I love Lancome's Juicy Tubes glosses. Beautiful colors, not too sticky.

hoodlims
05-10-2012, 01:10 AM
I use Laura Mercier mineral makeup and the brushes from Bare Escentuals (only face brushes). My eye brushes are from Sonia Kashuk at Target. I notice that my Bare Escentuals (I think i am spelling this wrong) are nicer than the Target face brushes - fuller, better shape, maybe natural material?

I do not think you need all the items listed above. Well, I guess I don't know, but it sounds like a lot for someone who doesn't wear much/wants a natural look. I use the mineral foundation (powder format), blush, and the mineral finishing powder on my skin. I do use 3 diff eye colors and mascara though. I do not have a face that can wear a lot of makeup or dark colors, so I rarely wear lipstick. I wish I did, because I LOVE makeup (but don't have time to wear it anymore).

AnnieW625
05-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Yes I use good quality brushes, but not all of the brushes I own are expensive.

My powder (http://www.trishmcevoy.com/p-125-brush-5-powder.aspx) and blush (http://www.trishmcevoy.com/p-126-brush-powder-blush.aspx) brushes are from Trish Mc Evoy. They weren't cheap, but I have had them for 9 yrs. and they are still in good shape.

For foundation I use the MAC 187 skunk brush (http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/146/772/187-Duo-Fibre-Brush/index.tmpl), or a Chanel Kabuki brush (http://m.nordstrom.com/Product/Details/3273820?origin=&filter=)

For eye shadow I have a Merle Norman, Maybelline, MAC, and Sonia Kashuk. The Maybelline brush is the best $4 makeup brush ever! The Merle Norman brush was a gwp also. My eyeliner brush is from Bobbi Brown.

ellies mom
05-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Most of my brushes are MAC brand. I have a few other random ones. My blush brush is one of my random ones and it is 25 years old. All of my MAC ones are 12-20 years old. So, I think I've gotten my money's worth.

I did start out with an inexpensive set (my blush brush is from that set) to get started and then I added brushes as I needed them or the cheap ones wore out.

I use a Bare Essentials brush for my powder foundation (MAC pressed, not loose mineral stuff). My inexpensive original brush for blush. A Bobby Brown brush for concealer and a random brush and a variety of MAC brushes for eyes and I have a MAC brush for lips.

ETA- I'm thinking my next brush will be one to use with liquid foundation. I'm using a sponge right now but lately I haven't been feeling the love.

m448
05-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Veronica, I'm loving the sigma f80 for liquid foundation. I've used the first generation flat foundation brushes (had a prescriptives one) them ditched liquid foundation for years. When I started with liquid again i tried the beauty blender which is an improvement over fingers but a pain to clean and wet before use. The f80 is definitely an airbrushed finish. I spritz it with a tiny mist of water since my foundation has a quick dry time and dot the foundation with my fingers onto my face. Then I stipple with the brush to spread it and finally buff the foundation to blend. Takes only 30 seconds and i wash the brush once a week.

For truly pricey brushes google hakuhodu brishes just for kicks. They are hand tied amd shaped which means the ends of the hair strand are the original uncut fine tip which makes for a softer brush.

urbanmommy
05-10-2012, 07:35 AM
I wear makeup every day no matter what and brushes are very important but I don't think you have to buy the most expensive ones to get good results. I currently have a set from sephora that was less than $100 for the set and I've had it for several years. they're by no means the most amazing quality but they do the job. The more expensive the brush means it is usually made with a higher quality natural bristle but you can get good natural and synthetic brushes for a lot less.

The main things you want in a brush is that it feels nice to you and that the bristles are well packed and not falling out all over the place.

I haven't tried them but I read about a bamboo/eco friendly line that they sell at target that's inexpensive but supposed to be really good. Also, I've read that the Sonia Kashuk ones are decent but haven't tried those either.

Finally, as important as your brushes is cleaning them properly. Watch a tutorial on how to clean makeup brushes because the worst thing you can do is wash them the wrong way. You can really ruin them.

ETA:
I do a very natural look. Here's what I use.
Primer - Laura Mercier
Foundation - Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer - put it on with fingers and smooth out with a sponge
Blush - Bobbi Brown cream blush applied with a sponge or laura mercier blush applied with a brush
Highlighter - Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick - applied with a blush brush
Eye shadow - urban decay in Toast - applied with an angled shadow brush
don't wear eyeliner every day but when I do I use a bobbi brown cream eyeliner applied with an eyeliner brush
concealer - makeup forever applied with fingers and then smoothed out with a brush
mascara - maybelline great lash
finish with Laura Mercier Translucent Powder applied with a powder brush

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

infomama
05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Thank you all so much. I think I'm going to have to look into a foundation brush and some brushes for other things as well. If you see any YouTube videos that help with makeup application and you think are "the right way to do it" please link to them!

hillview
05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
the woman (makeup artist) who i had do my makeup for my wedding and then who also gave me a lesson on how to apply make up said that Target brushes were great. I have them (sonya someone's?). HTH

brittone2
05-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Thank you all so much. I think I'm going to have to look into a foundation brush and some brushes for other things as well. If you see any YouTube videos that help with makeup application and you think are "the right way to do it" please link to them!
Check the LIsa Eldridge videos out
http://www.youtube.com/user/lisaeldridgedotcom

She has great tips.

lizzywednesday
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
I like the Sonia Kashuik brushes from Target, a "travel kit" by Flirt! from Kohls, a couple of lipstick brushes from Victoria's Secret Beauty and some Sephora brushes as well, which I like for eyeliner (I use a "chisel" brush with powder eyeshadow for eyeliner) and eyeshadow.

I'm lukewarm towards the brushes from BareMinerals, though they work really well with the mineral foundation I bought from them!

If I use liquid foundation, I apply with my fingers or, sometimes, a makeup sponge wedge (you can get a large package from a beauty supply shop or Target for not a lot of money) if I'm feeling fancy. My fingers blend things easier than a brush ... and I'm not left with brushstrokes in my concealer!

I do best with Clinique's "Almost Makeup" or Balancing liquid foundations, though I used to use Jane (a now-defunct drugstore brand) in college.

I set my foundation with translucent loose powder; the one from Clinique is pretty good. I use a large fluffy brush to apply it (I think my current powder brush is from Sephora.)

I use powder blush because I always overdo it on cream blush. I only dust the apples of my cheeks, which I find by smiling. (DD thinks this is hilarious.)

I use 2-4 shades of eyeshadow - fluffy "shadow" brush for my "base" color (usually the lightest shade I'm using) up to my browbone, then a lid shade with a "contour" brush, sometimes a crease-shade (my eyes are medium-to-deep-set, so I have to be cautious) with a "crease" brush and always a liner-shade with a "chisel" brush.

Instead of mascara, I use lash tint for daytime. I don't know who all makes one, but I last used Neutrogena's. For night, I use MAC curling mascara (I don't need volume or length - my lashes are naturally long & thick.)

And I LOOOVE lipstick brushes. I have two - one is retractable so I can tuck it into my purse with my lipstick tube for re-applications later. And I always, always, always use lip liner.

gatorsmom
05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I have read several times that the Sonia Kashuk brushes are excellent quality for the money. So, I bought a set of those a few years agon from Target. So far, I reallly like how they work and LOVE how they haven't lost bristles.

boolady
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I have a combination of Sonya Kashuk brushes from Target and ecotools brushes, which I also really, really like. I do not use a brush for tinted moisturizer, which I do wear every day. I've just never mastered doing it with a brush, and the Laura Mercier one I use matches my skin so well I have never had a blending problem or a line where the makeup ends. I also have, and love, the Urban Decay 24/7 shadow blending brush for eyes.

Everyday, at least workdays, I wear:

Tinted Moisturizer-- Laura Mercier

Bronzer/warmth-- either the Nars highlighting/bronzing duo of Orgasm/Laguna; or Benefit Dallas, which is a great bronzer with a touch of rosiness in it...I am very fair, and can't use bronzers that are too bronze or brown. Dallas is really the best one for my skin tone in terms of adding a little warmth, but not being obvious at all.

Blush--Nars cream blush in Penny Lane or Orgasm or Nars the Multiple Stick in Maui. Hands down the best blush products I have ever used. I have dry skin, and powder blush disappears on me in a few hours. I've also had to get comfortable using a bit more blush than I used to, because I've realized that what I used to do was virtually imperceptable, and I'm really, really pale. :ROTFLMAO: I also think that as I get older, my skin is getting more drab.

Eye pencil--Urban Decay 24/7 glide on pencil in Whiskey, a soft brown. This is the only eye pencil I have ever used that doesn't spread or disappear by the end of the day. I don't line with it-- I fill in my lips and really use it as a base for my lip gloss.

Eye shadow-- Urban Decay The Nakeds palette (not the Nakeds 2...the original). I use the lightest colors for daytime, usually, Virgin, Sin & Naked...all creams and nudes. Very subtle, but "something." In the summer, when it's warmer and my eyeshadow tends to migrate, I use the Urban Decay eye shadow primer underneath, but in general, this shadow has a lot of staying power. On the weekends, when I want to be quick or don't need as polished a look, I love the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Shadow Pencil, a chubby shadow pencil, in Midnight Cowboy, a subtly sparkly beige. I just swipe it on, smudge a bit with the brush, and go. Great staying power.

Mascara-- Loreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes (red and white dual-ended tube) in Black/Brown. Love this stuff.

Lip pencil-- I do use a pencil most work days, in MAC Subculture, because it completely matches my lip tone. Then, I use gloss or a not-very-heavy lip color on top.

Gloss-- I love the Buxom glosses at Sephora, particularly in Dolly and Debbie. Again, they don't disappear after a short period of time. I also have a Chanel gloss that I really like, and if I need a bit more coverage, really like Smashbox photo finish lipstick in Splendid this spring...it's got the whole peachy thing going on without being orange.

I would agree that if you want the natural look, look to Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier as a start, but the real key is getting someone who knows and understands your skin tone and the look you're going for to help you. It's been a real process of trial and error for me to find eye shadows and pencils that I am actually ok with the way they look on me, as well as finding great lip glosses that aren't too sticky/taste too funny/don't disappear the second you drink something.

I would love to try the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, but don't know that I have the time to play with that every morning. If I did, I would get her eyeliner brush, because she also makes great makeup brushes.

infomama
05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I have read several times that the Sonia Kashuk brushes are excellent quality for the money. So, I bought a set of those a few years agon from Target. So far, I reallly like how they work and LOVE how they haven't lost bristles.

Wow! Those are really nicely priced. Perhaps I'll shoot up there and pick up a set. Thanks again for everyones input! I like the videos Beth!
I think I found the foundation and tinted moisturizer that works for me. I have to use lid primer which I have.

I think my biggest challenges (besides technique) is finding the perfect concealer, bronzer/warmth, shadows (colors) and blush. I think I would probably screw up a cream blush, too.

I'm good in the gloss department.

infomama
05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Bronzer/warmth-- either the Nars highlighting/bronzing duo of Orgasm/Laguna; or Benefit Dallas, which is a great bronzer with a touch of rosiness in it...I am very fair, and can't use bronzers that are too bronze or brown. Dallas is really the best one for my skin tone in terms of adding a little warmth, but not being obvious at all.

Blush--Nars cream blush in Penny Lane or Orgasm or Nars the Multiple Stick in Maui. Hands down the best blush products I have ever used. I have dry skin, and powder blush disappears on me in a few hours. I've also had to get comfortable using a bit more blush than I used to, because I've realized that what I used to do was virtually imperceptable, and I'm really, really pale. :ROTFLMAO: I also think that as I get older, my skin is getting more drab.

same here! fair, dry, sensitive. I have the extra added bonus of some mild roseacea on my cheeks. I'll check these out.

infomama
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
but the real key is getting someone who knows and understands your skin tone and the look you're going for to help you.

You know I have this girl in my life. She did my wedding makeup. She is an absolute genius...SO talented. Over the past few years has become a bit of a loner. She is impossible to get on the phone. I have told her I would like some lessons and she agreed but I can't nail her down for any real length of time.

boolady
05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
same here! fair, dry, sensitive. I have the extra added bonus of some mild roseacea on my cheeks. I'll check these out.

I would encourage you to do so. I saw your post above that you didn't know if you would be able to do cream blushes, but after thinking that I couldn't either for a long time, I have actually found that good ones, that are fairly sheer, like the Nars, are very forgiving. And, if you're a bit heavy on the application, there's nothing a piece of dry toilet paper can't lighten up! Classy, I know. :)

Now gel blushes are a whole different story. I haven't been brave enough to go there yet.

AnnieW625
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
For concealer I use The Sonia Kashuk beauty blender, it is shaped like a tear drop. Even when I used liquid foundation I didn't like using a foundation brush, it took a lot of time to get used to and a bit of skill. I have the Trish Mc Evoy one and I kind of gave up on it.

Here are the products I use on a regular basis:
concealer: Mac Studio (the one in the tube)
foundation: Clinique Super Balanced Mineral Powder foundation
blush: MAC blush
eye shadow: Stila or Merle Norman
eye shadow primer: Mary Kay
mascara: Clinique High Impact
lipstick: Chanel, Clinique, Merle Norman, and MAC.
lip gloss: Clinique, or Mary Kay

DrSally
05-10-2012, 10:47 PM

I have them too, and prefer them to my more expensive Aveda brushes.

snowbunnies300
05-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Back in 1989 I was with my mother when she went into a beauty supply store (needed a liscense to get in the door). I bought a blush brush for $25. That was a lot to spend on a brush in '89. I finally threw it away 6 months ago. I held up beautifully!!! I used it most days and washed it with regular soap frequently to keep it clean. I wish I had purchased two at the time. I'd get another 22 years. And yes it was a professional brush meant to be used in a salon so I knew it would be good and last but I really didn't think I'd still have it 22 years later.

I know my sisters use cheap brushes and they have to buy new all of the time. I do not reqret the purchase. I currently am using ecotools brushes that I found at Ulta and Target. I do like them but am not certain at all that they will last and last. I just don't have the funds right now to splurge on makeup brushes. Oh to be young and carefree with money.

So essentially I think you can find nice brushes for not a lot of money but if you can afford a more expensive brush it will pay off in the end.

infomama
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Got the Sonya brushes yesterday. Foundation, kabuki, crease and shadow. Ran about $50 which was a lot for me. I played around a little yesterday and I think I could have done without the foundation brush. Maybe I can use it for something else?

ray7694
05-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I highly recommend makeup by Tiffany youtube channel. I have a nice crease brush from sephora that I use for the entire eyeshadow application. I also have a good blush brush. I would start with one brush and go from there.

wendibird22
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I use all BE products and use the BE brushes. I love all the brushes except the standard foundation brush. It sucks. It sheds like CRAZY. I now use either a foundation brush (more like the liquid foundation style) for heavier application or the smaller buki brush (longer handle but smaller head). I use that same brush for blush. I have 3 different eye shadow brushes (mostly because they came with purchases) and an eyebrow powder brush (it's stiff and angled). I do think having the right brushes for the product is more important than the cost/brand. I also think it's important to clean them regularly (dawn soap and air dry always works for me).

Back when I was wearing liquid foundation and later tinted moisturizer I did find it easier to get a light, even application with a foundation brush.

m448
05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
did you get the pointed round foundation brush or the flat paddle one. I prefer a larger one like the sigma f80 which is a taklon flat top kabuki. Makes short work of applying foundation and doesn't leave any streaks.