PDA

View Full Version : What to send - a friend's DH died

niccig
05-09-2012, 11:12 PM
A friend of mine in Australia lost her husband this week. It was unexpected. It's times like this I hate living on the other side of the world. I can call, email, send her something, but what to send? I know the funeral is Monday there (Sunday here), I only have her home address to send something too.

Thanks.

ahisma
05-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Can you track down the obituary or funeral home? I'd send flowers to the funeral - or a plant, actually. Those were nice when my mom passed because I could bring them home.

I'd also send a card and an email, for now.

In about two weeks I'd follow up with something more personal, maybe a personal care pack - tea, heating pad, etc. Something for *her* - like a hug from across the ocean. Right now she's probably getting tons of help from people, but it drops off quickly. Reminders every month or so that you're there for her would be priceless.

crl
05-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Have they requested donations in lieu of flowers? I don't know how common that is in Australia.

I was in a similar situation recently and donated per the family's request, sent a condolence note and have called and left messages twice.

Catherine

klwa
05-10-2012, 06:49 AM
I'd also send a card and an email, for now.

In about two weeks I'd follow up with something more personal, maybe a personal care pack - tea, heating pad, etc. Something for *her* - like a hug from across the ocean. Right now she's probably getting tons of help from people, but it drops off quickly. Reminders every month or so that you're there for her would be priceless.

I think this is the best advice. Call her/send an email/send a card now. And then in a month, two months, whenever, send her something a bit more personal. The people who were there for me a month after my mom died meant a lot mroe to me than those who were there for me right afterwards. Because I knew that I hadn't dropped off their radar, and they still cared.