PDA

View Full Version : Bob Revolution versus MBUJ

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
OK, so in addition to my current obsession over getting a Bee :p, I need an AT single and am completely obsessing over that. It's for outdoor use for walks and at parks, playgrounds, dirt, grass, gravel - no actual jogging. But probably at least 60-75% of the time I will need to put it in the car first to get to those sorts of outdoor activities. I have a Toyota Highlander so I'm not too concerned w/space, but an easy-ish fold and lift into the trunk would be nice. So I've been debating between the MBUJ and Bob Rev and there aren't any stores near me that have them to try out (*sniff sniff*, I miss you Albee!)

I would love to go for the Bob b/c I'd love to experience a push like "butah." And I've read that the fold is easier/more compact. But my big concern is the 40" handlebar height, since as I've mentioned on other threads before, I'm 5'7" and apparently have a freakishly long stride since I kick the back of almost every stroller I've tried (which is why I love Uppas). For ex, I had a B-Agile, and while the back is elevated, I still found the handle height (which I believe is also 40") too low.

So, this seems to point to a MBUJ for the adjustable handlebar. But here's my question - will it really, truly be as good a push (or almost as good a push) as the Bob Rev? My concern is that I have a MB Duet and since it's my first AT I expected it to be simply amazing, and while it's certainly got a good push, it didn't glide along like I imagined it would (even w/the tires nice and full). Also, fwiw, it seems like the Terrain is a bit too much stroller for me, and the Swift may be too little.

Help me end the insanity and decide already! Would love get something in time for an outdoor festival next weekend :p.

swissair81
05-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm the same height as you. I've tried out multiple BOBs and I still hate the handle height (even though I wanted to like them). IMHO, the MBUJ pushes almost as well as a BOB (minuscule difference really) and the handle heigh tips the odds to MB's favor. Doubles are always heavier than singles- especially with 2 kids in them. I can push 2 8 year olds in my Duo though. Or 3 little kids.

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks swissair! What do you think of the fold on the MBUJ - total PITA, or tolerable, considering how much in and out of car will be happening?

swissair81
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I've been using my +One (and Bee) as a car stroller, and it is far heavier than the MBUJ. It's just so worth it to have it in the car. It fits nicely in the back of my Ody, with lots of spare room for groceries (love that car :)).

Eagletmom
05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I found it more awkward to remove the Duallie from my Toyota sienna vs the MB plus one. The MB has a taller fold so you don't need to bend your back as far to remove it.

swissair81
05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
I've been using a MB in my car for years. Before I bought my Bee, Swifty was my car stroller. Before Swifty, I had a MBUS that served us for quite a few years. I was much more annoyed with my Bumbleride.

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks! Alright, I'm almost ready to push the button... nearly there... I think I'm gonna go for one of the runway ones... cool blue, probably...

legaleagle
05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Ooh, pretty. Post pics when you get it!

hollissmama
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I can push 2 8 year olds in my Duo though. Or 3 little kids.

So glad to read this since I finally pulled the trigger on a Duo for my HUGE kids, 45lbs and 35lbs. The Vista w/ rumbleseat was not cutting it for outside walks.

swissair81
05-10-2012, 01:48 PM
So glad to read this since I finally pulled the trigger on a Duo for my HUGE kids, 45lbs and 35lbs. The Vista w/ rumbleseat was not cutting it for outside walks.

Ouch. I can't imagine that it was. I didn't like it that much with my newborn (5#6oz) and my 25 lb 22 month old. Now that the newborn is 22 lbs and my son is a 33 lb stringbean, I am very happy to have my mountain buggies.

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
So I realized that there's a BRU about 30 min away from me:duh: so I decided to forgo food shopping so I could try the Bob, since DS can only tolerate 1 errand a day (clearly, I have my priorities straight ;) ). The handle height actually wasn't too bad for me and the rear frame elevation seemed to prevent me from kicking, to the extent I could duplicate my normal stride in the store - but, holy hammock-y seat Batman! DS looked like he was all laid back in a Barcalounger even in the most upright position, and he wasn't all too happy in it. And this was the 2011! The push was nice, of course, but I think the seat clinched the decision for me.

hollissmama
05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
hehe, definitely gone stroller shopping instead of to the grocery. It is always nice to try things in person. I also think kids look slouchy in the BOBs. I can't get over that or the look of them. I think the MBs look sleek and modern. I say go for one. There is a plum one, older though on Albeebaby for $349.99

hollissmama
05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Ouch. I can't imagine that it was. I didn't like it that much with my newborn (5#6oz) and my 25 lb 22 month old. Now that the newborn is 22 lbs and my son is a 33 lb stringbean, I am very happy to have my mountain buggies.

Yes excited to get back into jogging with them too. With the Vista we could barely walk around. There is something to be said for strapping in 2 rowdy boys and running around. :30:

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
hehe, definitely gone stroller shopping instead of to the grocery. It is always nice to try things in person. I also think kids look slouchy in the BOBs. I can't get over that or the look of them. I think the MBs look sleek and modern. I say go for one. There is a plum one, older though on Albeebaby for $349.99OMG I adore the plum! And guessing since it's 2007 it's NZ made. That is so tempting! But I found a model year comparison online and it sounds like 2007 doesn't have rear wheel suspension which seems like a big (bad) difference - but, wah, I really love that color! *off to read more about the differences*

swissair81
05-10-2012, 06:28 PM
OMG I adore the plum! And guessing since it's 2007 it's NZ made. That is so tempting! But I found a model year comparison online and it sounds like 2007 doesn't have rear wheel suspension which seems like a big (bad) difference - but, wah, I really love that color! *off to read more about the differences*

The canopy is one of the big ones.

hollissmama
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
If you get it we must have pics! I love all purple strollers, why did they discontinue that color?! But the runway ones are to die for lovely looking.

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 07:08 PM
The canopy is one of the big ones.

Wait, the 2007 canopy is one of the big ones? I thought the later canopies were bigger/better?

And I'm also thinking that it kind of defeats the purpose of having an AT if there's no rear wheel suspension. But I dunno... it's so gorgeous!

swissair81
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Wait, the 2007 canopy is one of the big ones? I thought the later canopies were bigger/better?

And I'm also thinking that it kind of defeats the purpose of having an AT if there's no rear wheel suspension. But I dunno... it's so gorgeous!

I mean it's one of the big differences between the models

hollissmama
05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
hmmm, not sure how much difference it would make since it seems like there are lots of ppl who think air tires make up for less suspension. But I really don't know, too bad you can't try them both out. It is a great color though.

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Alright, despite how much I adore the plum, I can't quite justify getting a 2007 model of something even though I know it's a great stroller... so leaning back towards my original plan. But now I'm thinking - and feel free to laugh at me - I don't really use my Duet now that I'm in the 'burbs, b/c DD doesn't really ride now and I don't need it for containment purposes in the same way I did when I was running around w/both kids in the city... I imagine if we do an all day trip, we'll use it, but that's it. So wondering how ludicrous it would be for me to just push the thing around anyway w/only one kid in it??? Seems pretty silly, plus it's pretty unwieldy folded up, so the car may be tough. What got me thinking about this in the first place was the pics on the MB site of the MBUJ being the same width as the Duet, lol... just wondering if I can justify having both. I mean, the Duet should probably be the one to go, but my local CL would be like "MB Duet who???":ROTFLMAO:

hollissmama
05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
like "MB Duet who???":ROTFLMAO:

:D mine too.

I didn't realize you had the Duet! I say use it then for sure, maybe get that joey bag for it so it's like a Donkey, Peppy parents posted a thread about it. I think it looks cute and functional.

I think once my older guy is truly out of our Duo I will buy one for grocery trips. Plus then you will have the double option still for longer walks or the zoo. Or once your younger babe can also run away... I am buying a SBS at 2.5 and 5. They are just too much together and if one is out the other wants to be.

Minnifer
05-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Gah - forgot about the Joey - but I don't know, I'm not a huge fan of the look (on the Donkey either). Plus the Duet is 10 lbs heavier than the MBUJ so no fun getting in/out of the car, although I guess it would be less w/out 1 seat. I want the single, just don't know if it's redundant to have that and the unused Duet. But again, it's the Duet that's not really needed. I should probably get the MBUJ, then at least try to sell the Duet and then just keep on the lookout for an inexpensive Duo just to have on hand (although bizarrely, back when I was trying to figure out which double to buy, my DD hated the Duo - hit her head on the bar at the top of the seat/canopy).

Sheesh, why is this so complicated???

Kaylee31
05-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Have you considered selling the Duet and getting the Plus one instead of the Urban? It's basically the same size and could be your single & double when needed.

Minnifer
05-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Have you considered selling the Duet and getting the Plus one instead of the Urban? It's basically the same size and could be your single & double when needed. That's an interesting idea - I was so excited about that stroller coming out back when I was pg! But DD is pushing 42" and is all leg, and I don't think she'd be comfy, and then even in the front seat I think the short seatback wouldn't work for her. We wouldn't use it in doubles mode often though, so it might make sense, but OTOH not sure it makes sense to give up the more full features of the MBUJ in exchange. I dunno.

If I go w/the MBUJ, Amazon has the flint and chocolate for a bit cheaper than I was able to find the runway (from that seller Cymax who is selling the Duos for a good price)... have you guys seen those in person, and do you think the solids will have better resale (haha, if I could resell here)?

Ugh, and to make things more complicated, someone is selling a Red Castle Whizz on swap. Some people seem to like the push, others not so much, from my attempts to research this. OK, I can't believe I'm even more confused about this than I was yesterday :confused:

hollissmama
05-11-2012, 08:57 AM
OK, I can't believe I'm even more confused about this than I was yesterday :confused:

:ROTFLMAO:

hmmm well I think if you aren't happy with the Duet and think you won't need a double then go for an urban, sell the duet and if you need a double later find a used, cheaper one (well like a BOB or MB) or just get an urban, what about a Swift so it's lighter?
ETA:they also have a moss for $359

I am worried about the bar thing in the Duo though, hope my tall guy is okay in there.

arivecchi
05-11-2012, 10:28 AM
What about a newer MBUJ (for the bigger better canopy) and a Valco hitch hiker for your older one to ride when needed? I love the flint color, so I would go for that one.

swissair81
05-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I am worried about the bar thing in the Duo though, hope my tall guy is okay in there.

I love the bar. It's especially awesome because DS hates being strapped in. He's pretty tall for his age (3.5), and my even taller 5 year old also sits in the stroller- both of them are fine with the bar.

strollerqueen
05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
OMG I adore the plum! And guessing since it's 2007 it's NZ made. That is so tempting! But I found a model year comparison online and it sounds like 2007 doesn't have rear wheel suspension which seems like a big (bad) difference - but, wah, I really love that color! *off to read more about the differences*

I think suspension matters on a lot of models, but not on the MB. I didn't really see the difference, because the push is so smooth to begin with. In fact that is one of the reasons the company resisted suspension for a while, they really didn't see it as necessary. Also, re: 2007...just wanted to tell you that a lot of people spend a lot of time hunting down the older models, because they prefer the NZ made ones to the China-made ones.

Minnifer
05-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I think suspension matters on a lot of models, but not on the MB. I didn't really see the difference, because the push is so smooth to begin with. In fact that is one of the reasons the company resisted suspension for a while, they really didn't see it as necessary. Also, re: 2007...just wanted to tell you that a lot of people spend a lot of time hunting down the older models, because they prefer the NZ made ones to the China-made ones.
Nooooooooooo... just when I was close (um, sort of) to making a decision you had to go and do that!! ;) Seriously, this and the color was what was making me seriously consider it - I've definitely heard that the NZ made ones rock. And DS is man enough to pull off a purple stroller, lol. How bad do you think the canopy is compared to the newer models?

Before I agonize further, I called Albee to make sure it's not phantom stock or something... was kind of hoping it was, in a way... but nope, they really have it.
AUGH!!!!! :ROTFLMAO:

ETA: Alright, who bought the Flint????? Guess that's what I get for (publicly) hemming and hawing, LOL - when will I ever learn? :rolleye0014:

hollissmama
05-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Get plum! It is older but it's new still, plus I always hear that the quality was better then.

tribe pride
05-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Get plum! It is older but it's new still, plus I always hear that the quality was better then.

:yeahthat: I would get the 2007 version, especially if you like the color better and it still has a warranty. The older MBs have longer warranties too, I believe. And the quality is fabulous- my older terrain was virtually indestructible. We took it in the ocean, pushed it on the beach, took it hiking up a mountain. We left it in the basement once and brought it out a few months later to sell it, and it was covered in mildew due to moisture issues. Used some soap and water and it was sparkling clean, looked new. After 5 years of heavy-duty use.

Regarding the canopy, I had the smaller canopy, and honestly it isn't that bad. Not as good as on my Bob or Valco, but fine. I think having a large canopy is more essential if you have an infant or live in an area with tons of sun and you're strolling around in it all day. With my kids, I just put sunscreen on their legs if we were going to be outside for very long. Their torsos and heads remained shaded, except when we were walking directly into the sun. Then, yes, I wished for a bigger canopy. But it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, and I'd still get an older model before the newer model, as I prefer the NZ made strollers.

Minnifer
05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Ugh, ugh, ugh. I really need to not make such a big deal out of decisions like this (spending 2+ days agonizing is crazy!) :ROTFLMAO:

I finally this morning went with the newer model in flint - Amazon had it for more than the Cymax price, but still decent ($390). I decided against the Runway version b/c the fabric was a lower denier and I worried that it would be more delicate as a result. And the plum... ah, the plum... I'm still pining for that one. I just feared that I would get it and then always wonder about the "missing" features (canopy, suspension). Silly, probably. I'm still not sure I picked the right one. The good news is that the Amazon one is coming on Tuesday and is returnable if I hate it and/or the color. And I suppose if I panic in the next hour I can cancel the Amazon order, LOL.

hollissmama
05-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I totally understand, I went with the newer model of the Duo versus a 2007 MBUD on CL for that same reason, that I would miss out on some features. I got my Duo today.

Minnifer
05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Bumping up to say I got my MBUJ... and there's a hole in the skin where one of the snaps was - the snap is pretty permanently attached to the frame instead of sewn in to the skin (I can't seem to pry it off). WTF?! I know it's "just" the skin but am wondering, is this indicative of the quality of the newer MBs??? I got it from Amazon so it's a baby item and returnable even w/out the issue, or I'm sure MB would send a new skin, but I'm sooooooo annoyed b/c I needed it for an outdoor thing this weekend! And I'm still kind of pining for the plum so part of me thinks I should just go for that. (the flint is ok, but I usually like more fun colors in a stroller - I figured I could snazz it up w/a liner but I dunno - maybe MB will replace the flint skin w/the red, lol). This is so frustrating!

swissair81
05-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Bumping up to say I got my MBUJ... and there's a hole in the skin where one of the snaps was - the snap is pretty permanently attached to the frame instead of sewn in to the skin (I can't seem to pry it off). WTF?! I know it's "just" the skin but am wondering, is this indicative of the quality of the newer MBs??? I got it from Amazon so it's a baby item and returnable even w/out the issue, or I'm sure MB would send a new skin, but I'm sooooooo annoyed b/c I needed it for an outdoor thing this weekend! And I'm still kind of pining for the plum so part of me thinks I should just go for that. (the flint is ok, but I usually like more fun colors in a stroller - I figured I could snazz it up w/a liner but I dunno - maybe MB will replace the flint skin w/the red, lol). This is so frustrating!

I have 3 newer MBs and I haven't had that problem with any of them. I would contact the company and/or Amazon. Someone should be replacing that for you.

Minnifer
05-16-2012, 05:51 PM
I have 3 newer MBs and I haven't had that problem with any of them. I would contact the company and/or Amazon. Someone should be replacing that for you.

Yeah, I just spoke w/MB and they said it would take 10-14 days to get a skin to me. So looks like it's going back to Amazon, just debating how to replace it (same flint from Amazon, a red/chili '11, or a plum '07.

Now that I have it, the seat doesn't seem all that much more upright than the Bob, and the seat depth seems really narrow. Have either of those things been an issue for you/your kids?

swissair81
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I just spoke w/MB and they said it would take 10-14 days to get a skin to me. So looks like it's going back to Amazon, just debating how to replace it (same flint from Amazon, a red/chili '11, or a plum '07.

Now that I have it, the seat doesn't seem all that much more upright than the Bob, and the seat depth seems really narrow. Have either of those things been an issue for you/your kids?

I haven't had a BOB, so I can't compare it for you. I can say that DD1 was 90+ percentile for height and could still sit comfortably in my MBUS at age 5.5 (she broke her leg that year, and I preferred the stroller to the wheelchair). My 3.5 yo DS (also 90+ percentile for height) fits in both my Duo and +One with room to spare. My DD2 also fits in my +One. If you are asking about huskier kids, I will have to refer you to someone else for an opinion, because mine are all rather narrow. My 9 (almost .5) year old can still fit her behind in the Duo seat.

Minnifer
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I haven't had a BOB, so I can't compare it for you. I can say that DD1 was 90+ percentile for height and could still sit comfortably in my MBUS at age 5.5 (she broke her leg that year, and I preferred the stroller to the wheelchair). My 3.5 yo DS (also 90+ percentile for height) fits in both my Duo and +One with room to spare. My DD2 also fits in my +One. If you are asking about huskier kids, I will have to refer you to someone else for an opinion, because mine are all rather narrow. My 9 (almost .5) year old can still fit her behind in the Duo seat.

Thanks, sounds good. Was more worried about depth than width, like would the kid feel like their tush was sliding off, so sounds like that's not an issue (although DS is proving to be shorter and stockier than DD so who knows what will or won't be an issue for him).

Ugh, flint or chili... you had/have a chili Swift right? How did the red do w/dirt etc? My DS is already a bit of a PigPen, lol, so thinking flint may be better. But I'm finding it kid of dull... and I'm a sucker for red (my original Vista was red and it didn't show much, but then again DD was nowhere near this messy!).

swissair81
05-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks, sounds good. Was more worried about depth than width, like would the kid feel like their tush was sliding off, so sounds like that's not an issue (although DS is proving to be shorter and stockier than DD so who knows what will or won't be an issue for him).

Ugh, flint or chili... you had/have a chili Swift right? How did the red do w/dirt etc? My DS is already a bit of a PigPen, lol, so thinking flint may be better. But I'm finding it kid of dull... and I'm a sucker for red (my original Vista was red and it didn't show much, but then again DD was nowhere near this messy!).

I admit to being an unabashed chili fan. My kids are not neat. This has not changed my opinion.

Also, I seem to remember SQ saying that in New Zealand, the company reps used to demonstrate the MBs by racing in them.

spannaz
05-22-2012, 12:36 PM
OP- It's a bit more than the Amazon ones, but have you looked at the Zulily Mountain Buggy sale today? The navy runway MBUJ are $399 including the carrycot! I couldn't seem to find them on the first page but if you search for them, they pop up.

http://www.zulily.com/p/cool-blue-urban-jungle-stroller-with-carrycot-sun-cover-and-storm-cover-17244-1535226.html?pos=ymal

Minnifer
05-24-2012, 06:53 AM
OK everyone, kindly continue to indulge me in my confusion/obsession :p. Amazon replaced the defective MBUJ in flint and I have the new one sitting unopened in the box. My hesitation about it is, will it really perform as well as a Bob on rough terrain, like gravel, dirt, grass etc? There is a lot of outdoor stuff where I live now that happens in pretty rural settings and I just want to make sure that I'm going to have the best possible push in those scenarios. The Bobs are back on sale at a lot of places and for some reason I feel like I just want to try it, even though there are lots of things I think I like better about the MBUJ (seat back, metal foot plate, etc)... guess I'm trying to force myself to focus on performance over aesthetics, lol. I suppose I could get the Bob from Amazon too and just set them up side by side and then decide... Argh, help!

hollissmama
05-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I vote get the BOB and compare side by side, that's what I did with an indie twin and the MBduo, still deciding in fact, they are both in my living room. :) My husband thinks I am nuts.
It's a style over performance choice for me too. Good luck deciding!

spannaz
05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I vote get the BOB and compare side by side, that's what I did with an indie twin and the MBduo, still deciding in fact, they are both in my living room. :) My husband thinks I am nuts.
It's a style over performance choice for me too. Good luck deciding!

:yeahthat: ITA!! But I guess it depends on if you're the kind of person that dwells on the 'what-if's' (I know I am :p). For me personally, I don't mind doing the extra work if it eases my mind.

poohbear
05-24-2012, 04:15 PM
BOB/Bee + combo is the best there is IMO.
FWIW - I don't find the BOB seat to be reclined in the same way as the MB - it's a bit more slingy but less angled if that makes sense... Both my 3 year old and my 3 month old are perfectly happy in it. I should mention I have an '09.

Minnifer
05-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone! I just went ahead and pushed the button on the plum Bob (on sale at Amazon for a pretty good price, $339) so I will compare them in person - fun!

LivsMum
05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I checked out the Revolution SE today at REI. I thought I'd fall in love with it but left disappointed. I don't like the way the seat is so reclined, even when it's fully upright. I didn't love the handle height either. I was comparing this to my 2007 MBUS.

I do love the canopy and 16" rear wheels and the padded seat - things my MB don't have.

I don't know what to do. Sounds like the Terrain might be for me but it's too pricey for right now.

Minnifer
05-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't like the way the seat is so reclined, even when it's fully upright. I didn't love the handle height either. Yep, those are my two concerns w/it as well. But I have the "Bob lust" (as another poster put it) b/c of the push, and couldn't get it out of my head - I feel like w/the MBUD when I'm out and about, I'll always wonder if the push could be better. It's coming today so I will put both together (my poor living room!) and compare... of course, I won't be able to really test things b/c I won't be able to take them outside. I thought about the Terrain too but I need to be able to take it in and out of the car and it's too heavy.

LivsMum
05-31-2012, 06:27 PM
A Terrain just ended on Ebay, nobody bought it brand new for just $325 with free shipping. It was $340 yesterday. I'm interested to see if it will be relisted and for how much. I still do like the BOB, saw it again today. The Terrain seat depth seems to be a bit smaller, maybe it's because the seat back is not as reclined as the Bob.

spannaz
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Minnifer- what's your consensus? Did you take some nice comparison pics for us? :loveeyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaylee31
06-02-2012, 03:32 PM
A Terrain just ended on Ebay, nobody bought it brand new for just $325 with free shipping. It was $340 yesterday. I'm interested to see if it will be relisted and for how much. I still do like the BOB, saw it again today. The Terrain seat depth seems to be a bit smaller, maybe it's because the seat back is not as reclined as the Bob.

I saw that too and can't believe no one bought it! The terrain seat is shallower than Bob's. I bought the Bob last year and posted pics of it next to the Terrain. They are both great, its just a matter of preference. I kept the Terrain & sold the Bob; but sold the Terrain a few months ago and now have an Indie that I love but kind of miss my tank at times.
Eta: found the thread http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=397509&highlight=terrain