PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE in #1 - its fixed! Can anyone check their washing machine for me?

jess_g
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Its a strange question but can someone check to see if the tub where you put your clothes can be moved around when its not on and empty? Mine is having problems on the spin cycle. Its lilke its always off balance. Today I noticed that the tub where you put the clothes can move around quite a bit just by wiggling it and moving it around. I am not sure if this is normal or not and can't seam to find info on this online. Its a top loader about 7 years old. I am wondering if this is the real problem or not. I know that eventualy we will be calling the repairman but I always like to know if we can try to fix it at home first.

ETA: UPDATE: Thanks to everyone that responded to this. I noticed the floor was a bit uneven so I pushed the washing machine back some and now its washing fine. I no longer need to babysit it or wash half loads. I am so happy. I did not want to call the repairman!

thanks, Jen.

Neatfreak
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
My top-loaders have always been like that. I usually spin/agitate the drum a bit after adding detergent so that it mixes in with the water more before putting the actual laundry in.

Balance issues usually have to do with how the actual laundry items are positioned within the drum.

lhafer
05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes mine does (top loader). Just make sure you are putting the clothes evenly around the washer. If you are doing heavier stuff (jeans, pants, etc) make sure they are opposite each other when you put them in and it might help with the balance.

Simon
05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Yes mine does (top loader). Just make sure you are putting the clothes evenly around the washer. If you are doing heavier stuff (jeans, pants, etc) make sure they are opposite each other when you put them in and it might help with the balance.

:yeahthat: our tub moves here too.

Babymakes3
05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Mine moves too, when putting clothes/towels in you just have to be careful how you distribute them...try to do it evenly!

s7714
05-10-2012, 01:06 PM
All the top loaders I've used have been able to shift around on their own, even when turned off.

When my old top loader started going, that was one of the first things that went wrong--it started having issues with balancing during certain cycles (a problem it never had before unless I was washing really bulky things like pillows). Then it stopped spinning all together during segments. If you plan on keeping the washer and nothing else seems to fix the problem, I would get someone out to look at it ASAP before it gets any worse.

kaharris83
05-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Our older top loader was having balance issues a few months ago. DH had to adjust the feet on the botton, a few of them were uneven.