PDA

View Full Version : Camping/Sleeping bags

Twoboos
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
So, we have two Girl Scout camping events coming up. They require a real outdoor sleeping bag, no character ones. Probably rated to 40deg, if not lower. (One is in two weeks in May in New England... brrr.) We'll need two, as I'm going on both campouts, give me strength. ;)

LLBean has this one on sale:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75386?feat=509104-GN1&attrValue_0=Dark%20Citron

Should I just go for that, or check out some Colemans at Target? Probably around $10 less each.

oneplustwo
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
DD and I are going on a Girl Scout camping trip in a little over a week, also in New England. (This endless rain had better clear up!!) We have a couple of those LL Bean sleeping bags you linked to (one kid size and one adult) and they're great. But we also have a couple of these Kelty kids sleeping bags from Campmor http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___14139#pr-header-14139 which are a good bit less pricey and have also worked well for our kids. In fact, I think I learned about the Kelty sleeping bags (or one very similar) here on the BBB.

infomama
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Dd2 has that Bean bag in pink and it's really nice. I highly recommend it.

Mikey0709
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
We were gifted 3 LL Bean sleeping bags for xmas this year for our 3 boys - - and i thought they were great! My son did 1 overnight with cub scouts and used it. Quality seemed excellent - and i know we will get alot of years from it - - i was worried about getting one that we would quickly outgrow.

lizzywednesday
05-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Bean sleeping bags usually last for decades. My childhood BFF had one that lasted her entire life.

The flannel lining is nice and cozy and incredibly soft. Wonderful!

And, don't forget, Bean has the lifetime replacement guarantee.

On the other hand, I have a Coleman that I bought at D!ck's Sporting Goods 8 or so years ago.

It's OK and the lining is scratchy, so I safety-pin a t-shirt knit flat sheet to the inside to use it. The sheet also adds a tiny bit more warmth on chilly evenings!

If I were going to replace it, I'd get one from Bean.

Percycat
05-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Do you think the LLBean bags are good for summer camp, when the temperatures are very warm and humid? If not, do you have a different sleeping bag you use for summer camp?

We camp as a family in the fall when it is cool, but my kids will go to summer camp and it is hot and humid in Missouri.

Thanks.
angela

Twoboos
05-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Just wanted to update this. I went with the LLBean sleeping bags from the OP. They were pretty nice, and DDs were thrilled!

I was super-paranoid about being cold at night. So I brought fleece sheets for inside the sleeping bags. Plus I layered up and wore wool socks, a hat and gloves. I ended up waking up drenched in sweat but didn't take off anything except the gloves, b/c I figured I would get cold from being sweaty. So I was definitely warm enough, even though the temps were low-to-mid-40's overnight.