PDA

View Full Version : I've been tying my shoes wrong all these years

infomama
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Again..I love TED talks but this one I had to share. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFcV7zuUDA

After doing my own experiment I came to realize I was doing it wrong! My bow oriented itself down the tongue. Then I tested it with dd's tennies and wouldn't you know...he is right! They came united much less!!

Plus..it looks nice!

bcafe
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Was tying it that way just as awkward for anyone else, or is it just me? :bag

infomama
05-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Was tying it that way just as awkward for anyone else, or is it just me? :bag

Yep...because I've been tying them the other way my whole life. DH learned the 'strong knot' way when he was a kid and I always though it was strange. Learn something new everyday!

elektra
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I will need to go practice!

JElaineB
05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Hmmm...since DS still hasn't learned to tie a shoe lace this may be useful, thanks.

trentsmom
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
OK - I just tried it. Many years ago, I switched to tying a strong knot, and I didn't even know I was doing it! I only switched how I tied because I didn't like the way the bow was oriented on my shoes. I think I must do the initial tying of the shoelaces opposite of the video, because if my "rabbit" runs around the "tree" in the direction he talks about, then I make a weak knot.

Ooh - just saw a comment on the video. This must explain what I do:

He gets a TED for giving an overly-complicated solution to a simple problem. The simple solution is to start with the initial overhand knot left over right, instead of right over left,as he does. After the initial left-over-right overhand, he can tie the rest of the knot as usual and wind up with the proper reef knot with release loops. I hope I didn't unchange his life.