PDA

View Full Version : Karate for 5 year olds?

DietCokeLover
05-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have a 5 year old in karate? Do you think it is a good thing for them?

There is a karate studio in our town that will take 5 year olds. The cost is $50 per month and you have the option to attend classes at 4:00 up to 3 times per week. Is this a good deal? We likely might only be able to go once per week, potentially twice every now and then.

lizzywednesday
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
My childhood BFF has her 5 y/o in karate and he seems to really enjoy it, based on the photos she's posted to Facebook.

I think it helps him have an outlet for his ADD.

$50/month for 1 class per week works out to being a little more than $10 per class. I say it's a great value. Do they offer a "taste test" session at a reduced rate to see if it's a good fit for your child?

new_mommy25
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
That's a very good deal for karate lessons. I say go for it! Both of mine do karate and they love it.

lmh2402
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
wow - i think that's an awesome deal!!

we just enrolled our 3 year old and we're paying $140/month to attend once a week

he's only gone to three classes so far. and he's only 3. so his listening skills are not the strongest :wink2:

but he likes it and i'm hoping it will be a really good thing for him. the other kids in the class - who have been doing it longer/are a little older - seem to really love it and they actually sort of listen and follow instructions!

DietCokeLover
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
$50/month for 1 class per week works out to being a little more than $10 per class. I say it's a great value. Do they offer a "taste test" session at a reduced rate to see if it's a good fit for your child?

They let you try out 3 classes for free to see if it's a good fit for everyone.

HIU8
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
That is an amazing deal. My DS was in karate for a year. It was 2x/week with belt tests every 12 weeks. The cost was $134/month.

KrisM
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
We do TKD instead because it's fun to kick :).

DS1 was 6 and DD was 5 when they started. Both enjoyed it, but DD has stopped going.

We pay $60 for twice a week for 2 months worth of 45 min. classes. Testing is $55 and is about every 2-3 months. The uniform was another $40.

mytwosons
05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
That's a great deal!

I'm a huge fan of martial art classes for kids. IME, they help develop focus, respect, self-control, gross motor skills, planning skills, social skills and more that aren't popping to the front of my head.

Tondi G
05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Huge fan of martial arts for kids. My DS1 started at age 5 and DS2 at age 6. my boys do Tae Kwon Do/Hapkido. $50 a month is a very good price!

Jo..
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I vote do it. Adam was in starting at 4 for$105 per month at huge public classes. 1-3x per week. On average we made it there twice weekly.

We have since found a church-run program (we don't go to the church) for $20 per month per kid (once per week). Leah has been enrolled since she was barely 3, Adam had JUST turned 5. Love it for listening skills, self-defense, stranger danger, respect, discipline, etc. My kids are now going on 4 and 6, and they will continue until/unless cost becomes an issue.

iaam
05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Definitely do it!

DS (4) does TKD and absolutely loves it. It's also been great for him to channel his energy and learn some old-fashioned but very valuable discipline/set of values.

And yes, it's a great deal - we pay a lot more.

Melaine
05-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I am also a BIG fan of martial arts. My family (all but mom: dad, 2 brothers, my sister and I) all did kempo karate 2 or 3 times a week through my highschool years. My sister was about 5-6 when we first started. Honestly, I think it has so much value as a sport, for all ages. My parents FORCED me to try a few classes and it became such a favorite activity of mine. Great for self-confidence, strength, patience, self control, etc. I just can't say enough good things about it. Our particular school was Christian based which was really cool. I would love for the girls to take it if we could afford it.

hellokitty
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
My older boys just started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu a few months ago. I was hesitant to sign them up, but they had been bugging me for months, so I finally signed the contract (yes, there is a CONTRACT involved!). The program we have our boys signed up for is great. They start from ages 3-6 with a, "kid-jitsu" program for preschoolers and then they start moving up the levels starting at age six. DS1 and DS2 are in the 7-8 yr old program (DS2 was 6.5 yrs old when they started, but they let him take the older kid class, so both boys could attend the same session). They are learning discipline, respect and getting PLENTY of exercise. I would definitely sign a 5 yr old up for it.

The only thing that stinks is that it is expensive and I cringe at the cost, but the kids like it, and I'd rather spend it on a class that they like, rather than one that they loathe. It's $200 a month for my two boys and that doesn't include the initial registration fee and uniform (which you have to get). You have to sign a contract (must give one month's notice in writing if you are going to quit). They get 8 classes a month, and classes are offered M, T, TH and Sat, so you can pick which days you are interested in, which offers some flexibility. Also, in order for the kids to test for their stripes and belts, the teacher needs to get the approval of the parents first. So, if the parents do not feel that their child has been respectful at home, then they don't have to sign to allow their child to test for the next stripe or belt. I think that this is a nice way to help the kids to realize that they need to learn how to behave, not just at class, but outside of class as well. Overall, I do feel that it has improved my boys' attitude. Also, I was afraid that my kids would use their moves on each other, but they know that they aren't allowed to goof off and use these moves out for fun. When they practice, they do so very carefully and usually DH supervises.

Jen841
05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Family Therapist recommended it... and we have not needed to go back to her behavior issues!
7 belts later and $129 a month BEST MONEY SPENT.