PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a smartphone?

HonoluluMom
05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't.

I have a very basic phone, so I can't check emails or surf the web or anything fancy.

Here's a poll!

lhafer
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Yep. Have a new Windows Lumia 900 (http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/MG_3329.jpg) and love it.

klwa
05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Nope, mine is dumb as a doornail. :) (I have a standard phone. Not even one with a texting keyboard.)

AnnieW625
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Had a dumb phone until last October. Now DH and I both have an IPhone 4s. We were initially was fine just getting another dumb phone with texting cabalities, but I didn't like anything that was out there. Plus here at work they really started blocking a lot of internet sites I visited on lunch and breaks so really my smart phone keeps me sane during the day. DH got his IPhone a couple of months later and honestly I live that he has it because now he actually answers his phone!

I am not a huge fan of the price of the data plan, but honestly it is worth it because it keeps me sane at work!

Nooknookmom
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I have a dumbfone its an old ENV touch, so I can go online and surf & ck email and all BUT its dying, literally. So I'm at a crossroads I have to go up to a smartphone and am debating btwn an Iphone and Droid.

Hate going up to a higher plan though, love my unlimited old plan. Boo.

JElaineB
05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't have a smart phone but I do have a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. Works for me right now though I know we will get smart phones once DS is in junior high.

trcy
05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a dumbphone :)

BayGirl2
05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, and I've had some type of smart phone since way before the iPhone was launched. I've always needed to access email and work related stuff from my phone and never wanted to carry a separate Blackberry.

janine
05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Another dumb phone here. Only one in my group with no blackberry and I have no apple products.

I must be getting old but don't really feel the need for a smartphone and drives me nuts how people walk the streets looking at their phone or forget to get off at their floor on the elevator because too busy texting.

Wow I'm really old.

gcc2k
05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Definitely have a dumb phone. I would really like a smart phone, but I just can't justify an extra $30+ a month to be able to access the web when I can do that easily from my computer at work or at home on my laptop. There have been a few times I've been out and about and it would have been handy to access the web, but certainly not for that amount of money. We live on a tight budget.

niccig
05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't have a smart phone but I do have a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. Works for me right now

This is what I have. Either I'm at home or at college so I can use wifi. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to check an email with information when out and about, but mostly this works fine.

SnuggleBuggles
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I think I would prefer a dumb phone plus an iPod touch but I have an iPhone 4s. I got it this year. I do like the all in one but I use it too much.

lizzywednesday
05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Yep, I have a smartphone.

I got it just before Verizon switched their data plans from flat-fee unlimited to scaled plans to lock in the flat-fee unlimited data for my account.

hellokitty
05-10-2012, 03:17 PM
My first smart phone was a palm pre (I miss it) and now I have an iphone (and yes, I'm finally used to it, it took a while though, since I was so used to my pre). I would have a hard time going back to a dinosaur phone, which is what I had prior to my smartphones (like it had an antenna and everything, my friends used to laugh at me when I pulled it out).

lmwbasye
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Yep. Got it for DH's 3rd deployment and it is invaluable for exactly those times. I can Skype and Facebook chat with him from anywhere we are on my iPhone. You just can't put a price on that, IMO.

kijip
05-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, I have an iPhone but that is fairly recent thing. This was brought on by needing it for my then work and realizing my spouse can access super discounts on service plans though the hospital he works for. Now that I am consulting I see it as a business expense- I run a few different orgs social media and need to be able to post when away from a computer. Additionally, my clients need to get me when they call and get a fast response when they email. I track all of that time and bill them for it because it adds up.

BabbyO
05-10-2012, 05:12 PM
We always joke that my phone is dumb. I think the one I have now can actually be activated to do browsing, etc, but I don't do it. I don't even text.

maestramommy
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
No. We might be getting them sometime this year. Maybe. First I have to be convinced it will actually make my life easier, instead of being a pain in the neck.

Giantbear
05-10-2012, 05:49 PM
this poll is a problem, i have a smart phone, razar maxx, but i am also craving something sweet

Twins2000
05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I just got my first smartphone last October (iPhone 4s) and LOVE it! With all the sports and other after school activities my kids are involved in, it became a real hindrance not being able to access my email away from home (practice locations/times changing last minute, reminders, other parents emailing, etc). Additionally, with the smartphone, I like being able to look things up on the internet, and use different apps when away from home (allrecipes.com sometimes when in the supermarket, gps apps for driving directions, opentable.com app when looking for a different restaurant with seating after waiting almost an hour at another restaurant, etc.). I would REALLY miss it if I didn't have it at this point!

indigo99
05-10-2012, 07:09 PM
iphone 4s. DH has a droid. I do have a data plan but don't use apps much.

We do not have texting on our cell plan though. We just don't text, but apparently that's no longer allowed in society. I left someone a voicemail today and got a text receipt! Also, DS's EI teacher sent me two texts when she was playing in our backyard with DS a couple of weeks ago. I was ten feet away! I pay 20cents each time someone sends me a text so it's just annoying to get them for no reason.

oneplustwo
05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
this poll is a problem, i have a smart phone, razar maxx, but i am also craving something sweet

:yeahthat: First thing I tried was to vote both ~ I have a smart phone AND I crave something sweet.

I have a Palm Pixi Plus though, and am probably the only one on this board with one.

AnnieW625
05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
We do not have texting on our cell plan though. We just don't text, but apparently that's no longer allowed in society. I left someone a voicemail today and got a text receipt! Also, DS's EI teacher sent me two texts when she was playing in our backyard with DS a couple of weeks ago. I was ten feet away! I pay 20cents each time someone sends me a text so it's just annoying to get them for no reason.

We don't have a texting plan and most people know that. I pay maybe $2 a month in texts now, but I also have friends who have Iphone 4 and I wish they would just turn on their Imessaging so I don't have to pay for those texts, but I am not going to invade their space and turn it on for them. The plan Verizon has available for texting now for people with Iphone 4s and tiered data is 1000 texts for $10 a month. We don't text that much so that doesn't make sense.

Also I can kind of see why the EI sent you a text because if she had called you over it could have distracted DS, but yeah I do kind of hate it when people just assume you have a texting plan.

Mommy_Mea
05-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Dumbphone here too, I refused to pay $30/month more just to be online more (online too much at home already!), and our cellphone bill already pains me.

That said, I am looking into prepaid plans to replace my Verizon plan, and the plans with data are so cheap I am very very tempted...

indigo99
05-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Also I can kind of see why the EI sent you a text because if she had called you over it could have distracted DS, but yeah I do kind of hate it when people just assume you have a texting plan.

I was on the couch inside nursing DS2. She sent me TWO phone pics (no text) of the project that they were making even though I got to see if 5 minutes later (dirt and rocks glued to a paper plate). I was enjoying the peace and quiet while DS was outside with her, but I guess she didn't want me to feel left out.

wencit
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Just got an iPhone 4s last weekend. After a year of pleading, cajoling, and bargaining for a smartphone, DH somehow "lost" his flip phone a few weeks ago. We could have gotten him another flip phone, but I caved and got two iPhones. Sigh. I love my phone so far, but I have yet to receive our first bill!

ZeeBaby
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
We have iPhones.

brittone2
05-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't have a smart phone but I do have a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. Works for me right now
:yeahthat:

We got our Touch for free back when Apple had a promotion a few years ago for students. DH was in grad school when we got a new laptop and the smaller touch was free with it at that time.

We go back and forth on a tablet. Neither of us have smartphones and don't find ourselves really needing one at this point. I upgraded (LOL) to something with a keyboard maybe 2 years ago. Fancy ;)

daisymommy
05-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I got my iPhone last Summer (first smart phone ever), and I have to say, as a SAHM, I could not live without it now. Seriously!

It's my personal secretary, second brain, organizer, multitasker, GPS, phone, mini computer. Worth every penny!

tropicalmom
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I couldn't live without my Blackberry Torch.

Ceepa
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
No. In fact, I just replaced my phone with another non-smartphone recently.

I really can't find a reason to have all the extras of a smartphone with me 24/7.

randomkid
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Mine just came today! It is charging right now. I have had the dumbest phone forever and I just couldn't take it anymore. I was a complete holdout and saw no need for a smartphone until recently. There is a lot of texting at work between managers and staff, between each other to coordinate our days, etc. It was taking me FOREVER to text on my old phone that didn't even have a keyboard! Texting is not required at work, but is becoming standard practice and is definitely convenient. I have 2 stepdaughters to keep up with and, of course, they text. Also, coordinating playdates and conversing with other moms is usually done via text.

Texting is not the only reason, though. I can't wait to have a calendar, list of things to do, music, camera, internet, etc all in one place. I feel so unorganized all the time and it has been driving me nuts now that DD is in school and activities. I have little paper lists all over the place, a paper calendar, etc. I am forever losing things and forgetting my calendar. I never wanted a smartphone, but now I feel it will make my life so much easier!

HIU8
05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I have a LG Rumor which is a smart phone, HOWEVER, I do not pay for any of the services. I got the phone as an upgrade and only use it for phone and VM. I don't even pay for texting. When we can, we are going to upgrade my service and I am eligible for another phone upgrade as of last November.

MamaMolly
05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
DH got us iPhones for our anniversary last year. I LURRRRRRRVVVVVEEEE it. Except Siri is a beyotch and can rot in hell for all I care. ;)

eh613c
05-15-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't have a smartphone. Since I'm a SAHM, we can't afford the data plan.

Ms B
05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Droid 2 Global.

My favorite functions are that I can speak a destination to the Navigator and it then speaks my driving directions back to me, it functions as an electronic reader (Amazon AND Google), and it can open pdfs without an app.

Who needs Siri?!!