PDA

View Full Version : Best mouse bait?

elektra
05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
There is a mouse in our house. :/
We got snap traps and have tried bread (that's what it got into on our counter), cheese, and peanut butter. He is still uncaught.
Any other tips on catching a mouse?

I found where he is getting out into the kitchen- there is an opening at the bottom of our cabinets but I have no idea where that leads so I am hesitant to close that part up. Should I just close it though? Maybe first look harder for some opening to the outside of our house where he likely got in in the first place?

TwinFoxes
05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow, peanut butter didn't work? That's my tried and true. How about taking some bread and peanut butter and rolling it into a ball?

JElaineB
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
If traps aren't working I say it is time for poison. I would throw some poison bait blocks through the hole and seal it up with steel wool. Then get a few child/pet proof poison bait traps and set them up in your kitchen and anywhere else you have observed mouse activity. If you really don't want to use poision you could try glue traps instead (or in addition).

elektra
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Maybe I need some with sugar in it?

niccig
05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Peanut butter works here, except when they knock the trap off the ledge (it was outside) set off the trap and then eat the bait.

You can stuff steel wool (as coarse a grade as you can get) into the hole. It's what I did in one of our cabinets. Apparently, they don't like to chew steel wool. I've been rechecking the area and I've see no evidence they're getting in. You'll still need to check how getting in from outside.

jenfromnj
05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
There is a mouse in our house. :/
We got snap traps and have tried bread (that's what it got into on our counter), cheese, and peanut butter. He is still uncaught.
Any other tips on catching a mouse?

I found where he is getting out into the kitchen- there is an opening at the bottom of our cabinets but I have no idea where that leads so I am hesitant to close that part up. Should I just close it though? Maybe first look harder for some opening to the outside of our house where he likely got in in the first place?

Eek, I'm sorry! We had this issue a few months ago, and yuck! We had some success with peanut butter, but then someone suggested that we use a bit of our dog's food with it, and that worked really well.

You can stuff some steel wool into the cabinet opening, if you want to block access to it for mice but don't want to close it up permanently right now. That seems to have worked for us, as well. If you can, check around for potential entry points--you can stuff them with steel wool, too.

Good luck!

ErinMC
05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I second the steel wool if you don't want to permanently close up the hole. We recently had a horrible mouse problem and resorted to calling pest control after our efforts failed. The professional uses a drop of chocolate syrup on the snap trap. Worked at our house!

Good luck!

wendmatt
05-10-2012, 02:44 PM
chocolate or pears.
Both worked for us in the past, we caught and released them in the woods, can't bear to kill the poor little mites!