PDA

View Full Version : Which of these classic books could be offensive?

BayGirl2
05-10-2012, 02:44 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm planning to give classic Little Golden Books as favors for DS's 3rd birthday party. I realized from watching some old Disney movies and reading reviews that some of those stories portray stereotypes that are no longer considered appropriate. Don't want to offend any parents but I would prefer to stick with classics, since the party is at FairyLand which is based on classic story books and nursery rhymes.

So, based on the books you have read/seen (not the movie version), which of these may have content that could be considered offensive, or that you would otherwise avoid distributing to 1-4 year olds?

AnnieW625
05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I would not offended if I received one of those books, we like Golden Books, and have lots of them. If it were me buying I'd probably do The 3 Little Pigs or Peter Pan. Dumbo isn't the nicest book at all, I remember seeing the Disney movie when I was 7 or so and thinking it was soo sad. Pinnochio might be too scary, but not offensive IMHO. I like Alice in Wonderland and don't think it is offensive at all, but I think it is better understood by older kids say 5 or 6 yrs. old.

TwinFoxes
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Yay for Children's Fairyland! I love that place, although I only go to go once with my nephew. :)

I think the crows in "Dumbo" are widely regarded as offensive, but it might not be as obvious in the book. Same with the "Indians" in Peter Pan.

BayGirl2
05-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Yay for Children's Fairyland! I love that place, although I only go to go once with my nephew. :)

I think the crows in "Dumbo" are widely regarded as offensive, but it might not be as obvious in the book. Same with the "Indians" in Peter Pan.

Yeah, Fairyland is super cute for kids that age. I wish it were in better repair, everythings kind of worn looking. But DS loves it and its the easiest place for me to go alone with both kids, so we've been there a lot this year.

I just watched Dumbo with DS and all the circus workers appear to be large black men, so totally a stereotype. But I'm not sure if that or the crow's language really shows up in the book. I'm torn on Dumbo because DS LOVES the movie and the party is a circus animal theme so its a perfect fit. But yeah, definitely some issues (at least in the movie) that I would prefer to introduce my DCs to on my own terms.

EllasMum
05-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Another vote for Dumbo, but for different reasons. I don't find the book offensive, but DD, who tends to be sensitive about separation (mommies and babies) was *very* disturbed and upset about Dumbo being taken away from his mother at the beginning (um, I think that happens at the beginning? It's a little hazy for me and I'm at work so can't check ;)). I had to skip over that part every time we read it. She did like the end when they are reunited, though. Just sayin' that if you know that a particular child is sensitive about such things you might choose something else. :)

Great idea, though. I did something similar (not Little Golden Books, but Disney storybooks) for goody bags and the parents were quite happy. ;)

Pear
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
We just came across a copy Of The Little REd Caboose. The depiction of native Americans definitely doesn't pass muster by today's standards. It isn't enough to not for me to not let DD read the book, but when she gets a little older we will probably need to have a conversation about it.