PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been an extra in a movie?

jess_g
05-10-2012, 03:16 PM
They are filming a movie in my town this month and having an open casting call for extras this weekend. Is it worth it to try something like this? I think our whole family should go and just try out and see if one of us gets picked to be an extra for fun. They do pay but I don't know how much it would be. The filming is very close to our house. Has anyone here done something like this? Would you do it if you had the chance? It is a big holywood movie.

Jen.

lizzywednesday
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
No, but I have a friend who has. He's got his SAG card and everything! (He's in New England as well.)

I think I would enjoy it a great deal if it were me, but that's because I loved my high school drama club experience, too. (I haven't acted in anything since because I'm convinced I have no talent.)

Go for it!

elektra
05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
I was an extra in a TV commercial with Tony Danza as a kid- they needed softball players, and DH was a movie extra as an adult- he played a soldier. They always seemed to be shooting something on my college campus too, and I knew people would end up as extras at times.

I would go for it!

It's super boring and you usually have to get there really early, and there is a lot of "hurry up and wait", but I will never forget my Hollywood moment! :tongue5:

elliput
05-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I did a crowd scene for a movie when I was about 12 or 13. My brother actually was cast in the movie and has one line. It was a fun experience from a technical point of view, but very tedious when the director wants to do multiple takes and you have to do the same thing over and over and over.

BabyDahl
05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I've been an extra a few times, all in college (in LA so lots of opportunity). It's kinda boring, but you do get to see some stars up close (like beautiful Halle Berry). Have fun!

marymoo86
05-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I was an extra while I was in summer school in college at a beach university. It was a beach scene and fun to hang out all day. Decent lunch and interesting but it was a lot of stand around and waiting. Pay was eh.

Twoboos
05-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Tell me more - I want to be in a movie!! :D I would totally do it, esp since it's in your town!

PM me where you are, pretty please? And the movie? (Is it a Tom Hanks one, I heard he was around.)

I seriously debated going out to Lowell (or was it Lawrence?) when they were filming scenes from The Fighter there.

TwinFoxes
05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Another "crowd scene" extra here! I got to run onto the field at the end of a baseball game celebrating a fake championship. I was a tween, and thought it was fun. :) A friend of mine was in the crowd scene at the end of "Speed".

EllasMum
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
No personal experience, but my friend and her DH have. They tend to dress in the 'goth' style, and actually got asked by the casting director as soon as they walked into the room full of potential extras. ;) They have a fairly prominent scene in Rat Race but you can only see them in the HD (or possibly widescreen??) version as the regular version cuts them out, just because of the screen resolution. My friend said it is typically a LONG day (often 12+ hours) and although it seems like a lot of money for 1 day's work, it is a long day and can be tiring. My friend has been an extra in several films and tv shows (a lot of movie/tv production happens around here).

Pennylane
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Yes, I was an extra in the movie GroundHog Day and also sold shirts to Bill Murray while he was in my hometown filming it!

Ann

candaceb
05-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Yes, I was an extra in the movie GroundHog Day and also sold shirts to Bill Murray while he was in my hometown filming it!

Ann

I wonder if you knew my DH? He reported on the filming for the local newspaper.

indigo99
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Yes. I was about 8. It was a tv movie with Barbara Mandrell and Tom Wopat (of the dukes of hazard). My sister and I got paid extra for taking our bikes to walk around with. Our scene filmed at night, and I fell asleep and took a nap on a cot for a few hours. All of my parts were cut out, but my mom could be seen in a crowd shot. I thought it was exciting.