PDA

View Full Version : concern or no biggie?

lmh2402
05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
DS had his 3 year appt today. he took no nap today, but was in good spirits and lots of energy all day. in a great mood at the office

didn't get any shots, but they took blood.

he has always been very good for shots/needles - and today was no different. sat on my lap. watched it get done. accepted the bandaid and then we left. i did notice that he got extremely quiet.

then we got in the car and left. on the way home, he turned white as a sheet and almost sort of passed out

our sitter was with us and she rolled the window down and was calling his name and rubbing his face and arms.

he only seemed to go dark for like a min or two at most.

i'm assuming maybe it was the sight of the blood and maybe he's tired

he ate his usual lunch and had a small snack this afternoon

has this happened to anyone else's DC?

thanks

mytwosons
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Not exactly.

But, DS1 did have a blood draw when he was three that required several vials of blood. The poor thing had already napped, but when we got home, he wanted to cuddle on my lap and then fell asleep. For hours. IIRC, it was an extra 3-4 hour nap. The poor guy was just wiped out from the blood draw. My DH called the dr and they said it was a significant draw and sleep was his body recuperating.

I hope your little guy is feeling better now!

lmh2402
05-10-2012, 04:52 PM
ok, thanks.

yes, it seemed like a lot of blood to me too - 3 full vials and one half full

it just took place - i literally came home, got him set up to watch some TV with sitter and now i'm finishing working

sitter is going to feed him dinner early and i'm going to get him into bed early.

i don't think i'm going to call the doc. sitter came up and said he seems ok now. just quiet and resting/watching TV

hillview
05-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I think I would let the doc know for SURE. Not in an urgent way but at least with adults I know if you tend to faint with blood draw you need to let them know. Glad your little one is ok. One other random thought -- it wasn't a seizure was it? How fast after the blood draw was the fainting?

EllasMum
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
This happens to my BFF's DS every time he even sees a needle, whether he gets the poke or not. ;) BFF said she just usually gives him some air and maybe a little juice and he comes around pretty quickly.

lmh2402
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I think I would let the doc know for SURE. Not in an urgent way but at least with adults I know if you tend to faint with blood draw you need to let them know. Glad your little one is ok. One other random thought -- it wasn't a seizure was it? How fast after the blood draw was the fainting?

no, i don't think it was a seizure. it happened about 5/10 min after the draw. but he perked up with dinner and a special treat of some chocolate milk. but you're right - i will let the doctor know, next time we see her

thanks, guys!

hillview
05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
no, i don't think it was a seizure. it happened about 5/10 min after the draw. but he perked up with dinner and a special treat of some chocolate milk. but you're right - i will let the doctor know, next time we see her

thanks, guys!
Oh good! DS2 just had a seizure so I am a little focused on that!

edurnemk
05-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Sounds like they drew a lot of blood, so he must've felt drained. Did he have anything to eat or drink right after? The lab were I get my tests done ALWAYS offers me a juice box after a blood draw to keep that from happening.