PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day Hints for Men

Gena
05-10-2012, 04:43 PM
This is from the Autism Society, but it's appropriate for families of kids with all kinds of special needs. Share it with the men in your life:

http://www.autism-society.org/blog/mothers-day-hints-for-men.html

Giantbear
05-10-2012, 04:53 PM
i know the intent, but i found this to be extremely insulting

Gena
05-10-2012, 05:09 PM
i know the intent, but i found this to be extremely insulting

I'm so sorry.

I know things are different in your family because you are the primary caretaker of your child.

My husband and I both read it yesterday and we had a very good talk about both of our needs and our feelings. We both of work FT all day. Evenings and weekends DH is a volunteer Firefighter/EMT serving our community, while I go to doctor's appointments, school meetings, arrange therapies, and take care of DS. Lately it seems like we never have time to talk and we communicate more by text and email. Like the article discussed, I feel overwhelmed and DH feels left out. Lately we have been trying to carve out more "family time", but we still don't seem to make much time for each other.

The article was a good reminder to us to recognize the challenges each other faces. I had hoped other families would find it helpful too. I'm sorry you didn't.

ETA: Like in many families with special needs kids, I saw a problem long before my DH did and he fought me tooth and nail about pursuing a diagnosis. So now, when he tells that he recognizes everything I did to get our child diagnosed and into the right therapies, it means a lot to me.

Pepper
05-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Gena, thank you for posting this. I will share it with DH (but not until he gets out of the hospital!) because it really hits the nail on the head for us. He had pretty much checked out, and now I think I understand why.