PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Cape family trip (with baby)

janine
05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
We are looking for a summer vacation destination - last year we went to Marth's Vineyard which we really enjoyed...family friendly, relaxing and low key. This year we have a baby (she'd be 9-10 months in the summer), plus our 3.5 yr old and the ferry to MV might be too much (or not?).

Any suggestons from veterans on where on the Cape might be good to visit in our case?

infomama
05-10-2012, 05:34 PM
My mom rented a house in Brewster one year and it was fantastic. Love the Cape.

BillK
05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Brewster is nice, we've stayed in Sandwich a few times and it was nice. Really though the ferry to the Vineyard is only like 45 minutes tops (more like 30 as I recall - its been a while). I'd do the Vineyard again if it were me even with the baby.

janine
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks - I'll take a look at Brewster!..and yes maybe I'll still look at MV. Just that we are coming from NY area so that extra 45mins (plus waiting for ferry) is a killer sometimes. Maybe if we bring our car it'll be easier (too much gear with 2).

pastrygirl
05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I stayed in Dennis last summer. Corporation beach is my favorite! Clean sand (little/no seaweed), low tide, tidal pools, etc. It was great with my kids!

Twoboos
05-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Agree on Dennis, we go there every year and LOVE it. It's pretty central and easy to get to other Cape locations. West Dennis beach is the best for easy parking and getting to the sand - you can park your car right up against the beach wall and unload right there. Can be seaweedy though, but my kids love it.

Mayflower beach is amazing, but if you're not there by 9:30am, forget it (ETA: some busy weekends, even 9am, the parking lot fills that fast). Try back after 1pm.

Also if you go to West Dennis early (like before 8am) you can go on for free and the parking lot is long and flat. Great for a walk with the kids/stroller or a run.

Green_Tea
05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Another fan of Brewster here - we go every year. I am a lifelong fan - my parents took me for the first time when I was six weeks old! I have never missed a summer and we go frequently in the off season. DH and I were married on the Cape!

I also really like Chatham, Orleans, Eastham and Centerville.

ETA: feel free to PM me if I can help you plan.

infomama
05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Nickerson State Park in Brewster is awesome too if your into state parks. We camped there every September from when I was about 7 months old to my teens. Great memories. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41476-d208267-Reviews-Nickerson_State_Park-Brewster_Cape_Cod_Massachusetts.html

khalloc
05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
We rented a house near Skaket Beach in Orleans last summer. We are doing it again this year. It was great! My kids were 5 and 3 last year. The water was so calm and warm. The kids loved it. Its on the bay side of the Cape so at low tide you can walk out forever looking for crabs, shrimp, etc...The only downside is that the beach is crowded on weekends especially. But we got there at 9:30 or 10 and had no problem getting a spot. If you could find a place right on the beach with your own private beach area that would be ideal.

wellyes
05-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Keep it simple. Personally, I'd avoid the ferry.

West Dennis is cape-y and family friendly but a little chaotic
Sandwich is really easy to get to and has a few nice beaches
Chatham is chi-chi
Hyannis is more of a drinking town
Falmouth is "barely the cape" but is inexpensive and has the warmest waters

In my experience, just pick a town, pick a place to stay, pick a beach, and go for it. You can have fun anywhere with a little prep.

hillview
05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Brewster fan here.

alien_host
05-11-2012, 04:27 PM
We are another Brewster family! We actually love the bayside beaches for little ones.

designermv
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM
My family has a house on the Vineyard, and I've done the ferry trip multiple times with all stages of babies. It's a 45 minute ride each way, and I've never had an issue. The high from breathing in the salt air and watching as we approach land is just so exhilarating for everyone. Even the baby. ;)

So, if you want to go back to the Vineyard, I say go and don't worry about the ferry.

BillK
05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
My family has a house on the Vineyard, and I've done the ferry trip multiple times with all stages of babies. It's a 45 minute ride each way, and I've never had an issue. The high from breathing in the salt air and watching as we approach land is just so exhilarating for everyone. Even the baby. ;)

So, if you want to go back to the Vineyard, I say go and don't worry about the ferry.

:yeahthat: I'd SWIM to the Vineyard if I had too!

elizabethkott
05-11-2012, 07:08 PM
We love Wellfleet, and have been going since J was 8 months old. I love that the house we rent in Wellfleet is walk-into-town, and that there is a great playground with tennis courts (for DH) nearby. We love walking to dinner, Mac's, The Wicked Oyster, and love that it's very close to the National Seashore beaches.
Ahhhh, counting down until we go again!!!

Green_Tea
05-11-2012, 07:36 PM
We love Wellfleet, and have been going since J was 8 months old. I love that the house we rent in Wellfleet is walk-into-town, and that there is a great playground with tennis courts (for DH) nearby. We love walking to dinner, Mac's, The Wicked Oyster, and love that it's very close to the National Seashore beaches.
Ahhhh, counting down until we go again!!!

I know I am a cheerleader for Chatham and Brewster, but Wellfleet is definitely a great choice as well, and very popular with New Yorkers. I like that it's further down Cape, but that does mean driving longer for you. Just something to consider. There are tons of cute galleries and restaurants there, and the beaches are gorgeous and untouched! It's also closer to Provincetown, which is a fun daytrip.