PDA

View Full Version : Kids and iPod question

KrystalS
05-10-2012, 06:35 PM
DD had talent show auditions after school today. They had to provide their own music if needed. Several kids had their iPods, including DD. When I got there a mom was yelling at her DD and another girl because her iPod was stepped on and screen cracked.

I listened to the conversation and the kids explained what happened. It was obviously an accident, ipod fell out of pocket and the other girl stepped on it. The mom was furious. After listening to her scream for awhile I told her I thought she needed to speak to a teacher or the girls parents because the child could not do anything about it. She was telling the girl she would have to pay for the iPod to be fixed, she needed to watch what she was doing, etc.

IMO, it was an accident but even if it wasn't thats just a risk you take when your child takes their iPod or anything similar to school. Had this happened to my DD I would not expect another parent or the school to be responsible. I would expect this to be what most parents would do, but several other parents were agreeing with this mom! I was very surprised.

The mom went on and on, talked to a teacher for 20 minutes telling them the school needed to pay and she wanted the name of the girls parents.

nellonello
05-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I agree with you. I would not expect another family to pay for it if it was an accident. It is a risk you take when you get your child an expensive toy and let them bring it to school. The poor child who accidentally stepped on must be traumatized over this.

ahisma
05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
I see no reason at all why the other kids parents should pay. Accidents happen, and I'm not even sure that the other girls is at fault for stepping on something small on the ground. Even if it was the girl's fault, screaming at someone else's child is WAY out of line unless they are actively physically harming another child.

iPods aren't cheap and I would be frustrated if DD's was broken. That's why, even at 13, she can't take it to school;) If I had made an exception, well...that's the chance you take. I see the reason for sending it...but that's life, I guess.