PDA

View Full Version : what childhood illnesses have your kids had?

jess_g
05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I am filling a form out that asks for childhood illnesses. This doew not include flu, colds, or ear/sinus infections. With so many shoots these days, I am wondering what else is left that kids can get. Can you think of any?

Jen

megs4413
05-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Hand, foot, mouth? Strep? Pneumonia?

cindys
05-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Hand, foot, mouth? Strep? Pneumonia?
:yeahthat:

We have also had Tonsillitis, Scarlet Fever, Chicken Pox, Roseola, RSV and Pink Eye...

This sounds like so much but my oldest is almost 21 so my experience spans many years :)

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...20, 6 & 3 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

larig
05-10-2012, 07:16 PM
the dreaded RSV.

AnnieW625
05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
DD1: just pink eye, and ear infections. We did have an RSV scare with her when she was 2/1/2 because a 9 month old baby had it and it turned into pneumonia. Thankfully we dodged that bullet.

DD2: pink eye, and maybe 2 ear infections. She did just have rotavirus a couple of weeks ago because that was the flu of the year in our area. I will say I am kind of thankful she had that because it made me realize that she was most likely lactose sensitive (which makes sense due to her reflux issues and only being able to tolerate sensitive formula as an infant) and within a week of doing that her poop went back to normal, and the unusually stinky and often breast milk like poopy diapers went away.

My girls started daycare at 4/1/2 months, and 3/1/2 months and I have to say we have been pretty lucky illness wise.

MamaMolly
05-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Lula: pneumonia, roseola.
Dolly: Chicken Pox, all kinds of gnarly skin stuff like ring worm, funguses, etc.

rin
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Aside from colds/etc, DD had RSV last winter. Knock on wood, that's all so far . . .

elephantmeg
05-10-2012, 08:36 PM
we've had RSV, pneumonia and (just this weekend) coxackie virus. Oh and pin worms, lol.

buddyleebaby
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Fifth Disease.

lmh2402
05-10-2012, 08:50 PM
we've been lucky so far!

other than the standards of cold/flu/etc

we've only had roseola

also have had multiple rounds of croup, which i think presents mostly in children?

KrisM
05-10-2012, 09:39 PM
We've had chicken pox, strep throat, pneumonia here.

kijip
05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Nothing really. We keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I can count on one hand the number of times both of them combined have had symptoms enough to warrant a call to the doctor. When they do get a virus they bounce back pretty dang fast. No ear infections, ongoing croup, strep, RSV or anything.

citymama
05-10-2012, 11:35 PM
DD1: colds, ear infections, strep throat, impetigo
DD2: roseola, fifths disease, hand, foot, mouth, pneumonia, croup. And colds galore!

Does anyone else find that DC2 gets a whole lot more than DC1? It's true with all the kids in my family, including me as a second kid!

StantonHyde
05-10-2012, 11:35 PM
coxackie (sp?), rotovirus, strep, ear infections, H1N1

momtoonegirl
05-10-2012, 11:41 PM
DD: pink eye, strep throat, hand foot and mouth, Ear infections, numerous colds (started preschool at 3 years old).

DS: RSV, ear infections, numerous colds (caught RSV at 5 months old; started daycare at 2.5 months old).

MelissaTC
05-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Rotavirus, Croup and ear infections (2 or 3). Oh, and molliscum. He has had that off and on for over a year!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Hand Foot & Mouth !!!!

didn't have RSV, but that was one I was scared of last year with DD a preemie.

Jai
05-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Chicken pox and hand, foot & mouth disease.

maestramommy
05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
hand foot mouth, RSV, rotavirus, croup

wendibird22
05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Both girls have had HFM. DD2 had RSV at 7wk old.

twowhat?
05-11-2012, 12:19 PM
HFM is the only one we've had an actual diagnosis for from the doctor.

Other than that it's just been colds, ear infections, etc. I tend to not take my kids to the doctor unless they've had a fever for at least 4-5 days without obvious symptoms of something like a cold, so it's possible they've had more than "just a cold" but since I know it's likely a virus, we just wait out most illnesses. The last time I took a sick kid to the doctor was for fever/lethargy for 4 days (and I called on day 3 to make sure they didn't want me to bring her in earlier). It was DD1, and when I brought her in the ped thought she might have mild pneumonia. He sent us home with instructions to keep a very careful eye on her and thankfully the next day DD1 perked up. The ped called and sounded relieved when I told him she was feeling a lot better.

We also had an awful GI bug last year - the entire family got it and for the adults it meant nausea/loss of appetite that lasted 2 WEEKS and for the kids it was nausea/loss of appetite/some vomiting (but no fever). No one in the family but the dogs ate much of anything for 2 weeks!

The HFM was the worst though. Only DD2 got it (as far as I could tell) and the poor thing couldn't eat for a week even though she was hungry. That liquid benadryl/maalox slurry that Baby 411 mentions is spot on though - I could put some in her mouth and she'd have 15-20 min where she could eat/drink more comfortably so that's how I got her liquids into her. She drank lots and lots of chocolate milk:)