PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for infant at Disney?

June Mommy2
05-11-2012, 03:51 PM
We will be going to Disney in July with our then 3-month old DD. (Planned the trip before we knew we would have her!) All I have currently is a Moby and a hand-me down Bjorn-style Snugli. I'm really concerned about the sun/heat, both on her and for whoever is wearing her. I'm short (5') and DH is tall (6'1"), and we will probably take turns wearing her, so it needs to be something that will be comfortable for both of us. We will be walking around a lot, plus riding mild rides with her. We will take a stroller too, but I'm sure she won't want to be in it the whole time! We had a Bjorn with our now 7-year-old DS, and I haven't researched carriers at ALL since then. Can anyone recommend the best carrier for the situation? Thanks for your help!

ABO Mama
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
I found bjorn style carriers to be very uncomfortable. I prefer wraps for babies under 3 mo. Mobys are nice, but hot in the summer. A cooler wrap would be perfect (wrapsody, and others make them). Ring slings are also cool for summer, but I prefer a 2 shoulder carry for all day wearing. For sun protection, I really like my solarveil monkeypocket! I put it over DS and don't have to worry about sunscreen at all. http://monkeypockets.blogspot.com/

crl
05-13-2012, 06:33 PM
We took seven month old dd to WDW and used our Ergo. I took the Ergo because dh was comfortable using it so we could both use the same carrier. I didn't like the Ergo before that age though. If we had gone when she was younger, I would have taken a mei tai and/or my pikkolo. I loved my mei tai and it was the coolest of my carriers because the waist wasn't padded and the body was just relatively thin cotton. The mei tai is also nice because it folds down smaller than most other carriers.

I did see someone post here (maybe in the Disney forum) that Disney makes you have the baby forward facing on rides. I wore dd facing me in the Ergo multiple times over several days and never had anyone ask me to turn her around, but it might be worth finding out if this is true--maybe I was just lucky! If that's the case, the pikkolo does allow for forward facing, although I don't know at what ages or if the baby needs a certain amount of head control for that--I never had dd facing out on me.

Catherine

Puddy73
05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
When we went to WDW in May a few years ago DD2 was almost seven months old. I wore her in a pikkolo almost the entire time and it was great! DH never used it, but I'm pretty tall and the pikkolo is very adjustable. However, I could see the pikkolo being a little hot in July. I rode with her in the carrier (sometimes facing in, sometimes facing out) on most of the rides. No cast member ever told me that she had to be facing a certain way, but perhaps their policy has changed in the past few years. For me, the Bjorn became uncomfortable very quickly so I wouldn't recommend it for a long trip.

swissair81
05-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Last year, DH and I brought our younger 2 (2.5 and 10 months) to Jerusalem in June. It was, you know, middle eastern hot, and I wore DD in my pikkolo the entire time we were out, so DS could ride in the stroller. For a younger baby though, I usually just take my Baby Hawk mei tai.

hoodlims
05-15-2012, 12:23 AM
The Beco Butterfly allows for a 3m old because it comes with an infant insert. It is also easy to switch off between you and DH even if baby is in it and sleeping. It does not face out though. Not sure how else it differs from the Gemini except for the way it faces.

June Mommy2
05-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I was considering a Beco Gemini...does it come with an infant insert? Compared to the Pikkolo and Mei Tei, which do you think would be most functional overall?

crl
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I was considering a Beco Gemini...does it come with an infant insert? Compared to the Pikkolo and Mei Tei, which do you think would be most functional overall?

Never had a Gemini. I used my pikkolo and my mei tai from two months on with dd, no insert needed, though I did use a scarf to cinch the body of my mei tai in so dd could get her legs out--she preferred that. The pikkolo comes with the ability to cinch it down built in. I LOVED both and would be hard pressed to choose just one if I were starting over with the baby stuff. I think I'd get a mei tai just because it packs down smaller. I had a Freehand.

Catherine

ETA. I used both my pikkolo and my freehand mei tai starting around 2 months. I would avoid a carrier that requires an insert for Disney because the insert will make it hotter, IMO.

swissair81
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I've never had a Beco at all. I'm not fond of infant inserts.

BayGirl2
05-15-2012, 08:09 PM
The "infant insert" on the Beco is not really an insert the way the Ergo's is. Its just a second layer of fabric that makes the inner pocket shorter for a smaller baby. I used it for a few months and then switched to the regular pocket, but its very easy to use and doesn't make the carrier any hotter.

I have both a Pikkolo and a Beco Butterfly and am thinking I'll take the Pikkolo to Disney for my DD. She's older but I want to have the ability to face in or out, and its easier to get on/off quickly. That said, a Beco would do what I'd need it to do too. I like the Beco for back carries because the "pocket" style makes baby feel more secure to me. At your baby's age either would work well.

I personally wouldn't do a Moby or a Mei Tei because I wouldn't want to have to tie/untie/retie when I'm getting her in and out a lot. But that's just me, I'm lazy like that. I also will probably have my pouch sling with me because its always in my diaper bag, I use it for hip carries now that she's sitting up.

June Mommy2
05-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Goodness, I've been watching videos on Frogmama and now I want both a Pikkolo and a Mei Tei! I like the idea of the Mei Tei being so light and easy to pack, but that's true about having to tie/untie at WDW. Decisions, decisions! Thanks for the info :)

lizzywednesday
05-16-2012, 09:18 AM

The Gemini doesn't have an insert, but its body can be shortened pretty easily to accommodate a newborn. It's kind of like what would happen if the Bjorn and the Ergo had offspring - easy to use (buckles), FFI, FFO, hip & back carry options, can be used from birth, padded shoulder straps, built-in waist support belt - and could probably serve as a good "gateway" carrier.

A Pikkolo with waist belt would be comparable, but the body is wider at the base.

The Mei Tei can be intimidating if you're worried about tying it correctly, but there are some great tutorials out there and fabulous brands. Frankly, I'm in love with the prints from BabyHawk, but there are a ton of other great ones to try. Also, DHs can really feel strongly about it - mine vetoed a mei tei (which was on my shortlist of carriers to register for) because it scared him, which is funny because I also have a wrap and he had no problem with that.

Anyway, whatever you decide, happy babywearing!