PDA

View Full Version : Anti bitch about giving someone a job.

gatorsmom
05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I just got off the phone after offering a job to a 50's something lady who has been searching for several years for a job. She is going to be PERFECT for our company and I really think she is going to like it there. :boogie:

I don't know why she has been searching for so long other than her age. She has great experience. While she has been searching, she has been keeping busy with part time jobs. I get sick hearing stories about how applicants feel they have been disregarded because of their age after a face-to face interview. Or other applicants who say they feel they weren't given fair consideration because of their weight! It makes me sad for them.

I feel we have found a jewel in a haystack! I'm writing her offer letter right now. :yay:

g-mama
05-11-2012, 05:36 PM
This is so good for me to read right now. I am about to begin interviewing and hiring for our store, something I have never done before. I have gotten some job applications in the past few days and a couple of them are, from what I can tell, from older women. My first instinct was to think 'no' but then I thought, what on earth is my problem? After thinking about it, I imagine they could be the best candidates for the job, really.

I am going to be open minded and consider all the positives an older worker would bring to the job.

Thanks for the reminder, Lisa.

gatorsmom
05-11-2012, 05:51 PM
This is so good for me to read right now. I am about to begin interviewing and hiring for our store, something I have never done before. I have gotten some job applications in the past few days and a couple of them are, from what I can tell, from older women. My first instinct was to think 'no' but then I thought, what on earth is my problem? After thinking about it, I imagine they could be the best candidates for the job, really.

I am going to be open minded and consider all the positives an older worker would bring to the job.

Thanks for the reminder, Lisa.

There are SOOO many positives. I did not hire for this reason, I hired because our new employee has excellent experience, tenure and references. But I really feel the older generation has a different work ethic. I think they feel they should work to get something done. Younger kids (and I've seen this at the work place and in my relatives) just feel like, "it's not my problem." They also have so much more life experience that they can be more proactive about potential situations that could arise.