PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland weather vs. Disneyworld??

drako
05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
We have been contemplating going to Disneyworld but I don't want to go during the summer because of the high temps and humidity. This will be a last minute trip this summer so I am trying to figure out if Disneyland will be better temperature wise. I think Disneyworld is supposed to be the better park, right? Since we are going last minute, I thought it would be worth going to Disneyland this year. We are east coasters so the flight will be much longer to CA. I am just wondering if it's worth heading to CA to Disneyland or do we just wait a few years before we will be able to go to Disneyworld in cooler temps? I have never been to CA so we probably could extend our trip and explore other areas (even though DH has been there many times).

Anyone been to both? What's your insight and experience comparing both? Is one better than the other? I googled average temps of Anaheim and it looks like it's cooler than FL. Is it humid in Anaheim in the summer months? We would be traveling with a 3 year old.

Thanks!

smiles33
05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
I live in California, so DLR is an easy call for us since it's close and big enough to take up more than 3 days for us. WDW is much larger due to the fact that the original DLR is hemmed in by land owned by others. So WDW is more of an immersion experience whereas DLR is still in the middle of a city. Yet some people like that you can do day trips to other parts of CA (LA, San Diego, etc.). Opinions will differ on which park is better, but for us, I see no reason for my family to ever travel to WDW unless we have to be in FL already. Plus, California is MUCH drier than it is back east. So even if the air temps are similar, I'm sure FL is more miserable because of the humidity.

With that said, I don't know that I'd want to take my 3 year old on a cross country flight if I didn't have to. If you're already on the East Coast and accustomed to humidity, just go to WDW and take breaks.

queenmama
05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm a Californian so my answer is biased. ;)

I've never been to DW (no desire to, ever, TBH) but I went to Florida once in June and it was grotty. I'm a big baby when it comes to humidity, though! :rolleyes:

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Twoboos
05-12-2012, 09:23 AM
We are also on the East coast and did DL last year. We go out to CA yearly to see family anyway, so we've done the trip before.

DD2 is HORRIBLE with the time change. She is up at 3am. Now, this was to our advantage when DL was concerned, because we were literally the 2nd people in line to get into the park, and the first people to ride Peter Pan. :yay: But were totally spent by about 1pm, and asleep by 7-8.

The weather in Anaheim is typically very nice. I loved DL and Cali Adventure. It was so manageable and nice to know you didn't have more parks you "should" go to during your stay. We did 3.5 days, and it was almost perfect - we needed another half day to track down one princess. :wink2: We had some nice breaks at the hotel in the afternoons. Pretty much everything in the Magic Kingdom in DW is at DL. It's just a little closer together, so easier to maneuver.

But, if you're not used to the CA trip, it will probably be tough on you and your DC. I haven't done DW since I was like 25, but I feel like it is *SO* much to do/see. The humidity really is brutal. So, you kind of have to pick the lesser of two evils - which can you deal with better?

You will have a blast at either one!

fivi2
05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Well, for a three year old, I probably wouldn't bother with either...

Not say it isn't fun with 3 yos - we did a quick wdw trip while visiting family when mine were almost 3, but it sounds like you are either looking at a long flight and a hard schedule for a little one, or dealing with FL heat and humidity...

For your actual question - I do love wdw - to me it is more of a complete Disney vacation. You are completely surrounded all the time. We did Anaheim last year and while it was very nice (and some things were better) I felt like I was a theme park in the middle of a city. Just not the same.

However, with a three year old, and in the summer, I would recommend Anaheim *if* you still plan on a longer wdw trip when dc is older. For a once in a life trip, I would always go with wdw. The weather when we were there last August was perfect (anaheim).

have fun!

SnuggleBuggles
05-12-2012, 10:31 AM
I think WDW in FL is an immersive and almost intense vacation. I think DL can be a bit more mellow. Both have pros and cons. With a little one, I'd opt for DL in CA.

TwinFoxes
05-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm a native Californian, and former DL annual passholder. :) But I've been to WDW several times during my east coast stints. My first love will always be DL. They are two very different experiences, PP who said WDW is more intense and you're more immersed is spot on.

Anaheim will be hot and dry. Orlando most likely will be even hotter, and definitely more humid. I find Anaheim's heat to be enjoyable (although I'm sure folks from the Pacific Northwest would not agree!) Orlando's can be oppressive.

If you don't mind the flight, I'd probably pick DL for a mid-summer visit with a 3 year old. You can also pop down to San Diego for a couple of days. You'll have fun at either park I bet. :)

zag95
05-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm from Oregon (that's the PNW Twin Foxes!;)) and I would have to say that I would rather go to DL. I can deal with heat, but not so good with humidity- yuck. I have been to WDW in late May and can't imagine the humidity of the height of summer in FL!!

I think for the age of your DD, DL is smaller and a great stepping stone to do WDW down the road!

We are taking DD to DL for the first time Memorial weekend (less than 2 weeks away!)- she turned 4 the end of Jan.

I agree with PP that the time change could work to your advantage in terms of getting up early to open the park.

Good luck with your decision!

hellokitty
05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
IDK, maybe we have bad luck, but we went to WDL on two separate occasions in October and it was hot and humid and just yucky. We were told it was unusual, but if so, how come it happened twice to us 4 yrs apart, lol?

Drako, personally, if you are on the east coast, having been to both WDL and WDW, WDW is IMO much better. I would just stick to WDW. We have been to WDW 2x in the summer (before kids) and last yr went in Dec. OMG, it was sooo nice in Dec. My kids are school aged, so we had to pull them for a few days. If you have 3 yr old, definitely do NOT go in the summer. It's hot, the price is higher and it's crowded. Go, in Nov-Feb, when it's much cooler and crowds (outside of holidays and school breaks) are very low. AND, it's also cheaper to go during the, "slower" times.

drako
05-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone! You have given me a lot to think about. Not sure what we will do but it definately won't be WDW this summer since I can't take heat and humidity at the same time.

codex57
05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I've been to both. I even worked at Disneyland, like my father before me.

There are some slight differences, but essentially, The Magic Kingdom is Disneyland, except you have to take 5 steps for every 1 you take in Disneyland. It's just more spread out without any more "stuff".

The advantage of the Disney parks in Orlando isn't Disneyworld. It's the other parks being right there. Hollywood Studios, Epcot, Animal Park. I think California Adventure cancels out one of the other parks, like Hollywood Studios. Epcot really is only good for older kids. That leaves the Animal Park. Not enough to trump the weather IMO. Especially when the San Diego parks are just an hour or so away from Disneyland (where you get even better weather).

I'm sorry, but I think the weather in Florida sucks. That's only cuz SoCal is one of the very few places that actually has better weather. I can see the point in complaining that there are no seasons in SoCal, but if you're on vacation, you don't want seasons. You want it to by dry and sunny all the time. Which is what you get with SoCal.

alien_host
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
We've done both WDW and DL with our DD. she was 5 when she did both trips for the first time. I personally think 5 is a great age to do either trip since they are PTd, no naps etc. And they have more stamina. I would not have done it at 3, but that is me.

We went to both FL and CA in MAy. It was 90 in FL and 75 in CA. Since we were at a wedding in CA we went to DL for one day.

I grew up going to DL more than DW. I still love DL and it does seem more manageable than DW. DL is comparable to just the Magic KIngdom. California Adventure (which I have not done) seems to have some aspects of Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

That being said we have been to WDW 3x and DL once since we are on the east coast and flying to CA is long, IMO. And I still feel we have just scratched the surface at WDW...we've gone to all 4 parks, but there are many attractions that we have to skip each year due to time constraints (and this is over 5-6 days).

It is an exhausting trip! Especially in 90 degree heat. I can't imagine what Orlando is like in the summer!

Good luck!

kbud
05-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I've been to both. I even worked at Disneyland, like my father before me.

There are some slight differences, but essentially, The Magic Kingdom is Disneyland, except you have to take 5 steps for every 1 you take in Disneyland. It's just more spread out without any more "stuff".

The advantage of the Disney parks in Orlando isn't Disneyworld. It's the other parks being right there. Hollywood Studios, Epcot, Animal Park. I think California Adventure cancels out one of the other parks, like Hollywood Studios. Epcot really is only good for older kids. That leaves the Animal Park. Not enough to trump the weather IMO. Especially when the San Diego parks are just an hour or so away from Disneyland (where you get even better weather).

I'm sorry, but I think the weather in Florida sucks. That's only cuz SoCal is one of the very few places that actually has better weather. I can see the point in complaining that there are no seasons in SoCal, but if you're on vacation, you don't want seasons. You want it to by dry and sunny all the time. Which is what you get with SoCal.

I live in the area and yes, FL in the summer is awful and DW is insanely crowded. Locals don't go in the summer:)

We've been pass holders at DW for 3 years. A lot of people think Epcot is for older kids but my kids have always loved Epcot. They like MK and Epcot the best actually. There is more to do there for younger kids than most people think. My oldest has been going since she was 2 and is now 8. The youngest her whole life. I love Epcot too since there are adult things to enjoy as well.

TwinFoxes
05-19-2012, 12:20 AM
A lot of people think Epcot is for older kids but my kids have always loved Epcot. They like MK and Epcot the best actually. There is more to do there for younger kids than most people think.

:yeahthat: My DDs really like Epcot. AK was the least popular.

fivi2
05-19-2012, 12:23 PM
My girls have also enjoyed Epcot. I also think WDW is more than just the parks. There are the hotels (with fun pools and activities), the water parks (never actually been, except back when river country was around!), it is more isolated feeling. You just feel like you are surrounded by wdw.

Dland was nice, but I felt like I was at a nicer six flags - with the hotels and the rest of the city all around me. Just different. (I did like some things better at Dland, not knocking it, just isn't the same experience, imo). If you are going for all that Southern California has to offer, then I would stop by Dland, but if I wanted a "Disney vacation" I would pick WDW. jmo!

You also have beaches and other parks nearby in Florida - Sea World, Busch Gardens, Space Center stuff, etc. I think they have a Lego park now? and an extra Sea World park, maybe? And Universal w/ Harry Potter...

But yes, the weather is hotter and more humid.

With a 3 yo, I agree that Dland is more manageable (except the flight), but I wouldn't break my neck getting to either with a 3 yo.

Globetrotter
05-20-2012, 08:53 AM
I have been to both several times, though mostly DL in my adult years, since we live in CA.

DL is much more manageable, but WDW has more to offer.

California adventure is really suitable for older kids, though there are some areas for the little ones.

Honestly, Since your child is still little and you don't have to worry about school schedules, i would go in the fall or winter, away from peak times. CA weather is more pleasant overall, but FL will be nice in the cooler months. Early November is usually good, but if you must combine with a holiday period, thanksgiving is doable. We once went to WDW for the week of thanksgiving and it worked out well, but we avoided MK on Thursday/Friday. It was a hectic experience, though, as we felt we "had" to see certain things because they were there.

If the cost and trouble of flying to CA are high, I would stick to WDW.

AnnieW625
05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
We have not been to WDW, but are former pass holders (2008-2012) for DL as we live 20 minutes away. We don't go to DL when it is hotter than 85 or 90 out because when we had the pass we could pick and chose. That spoiled us, but if I have to go to DL when it is hot it is not the end of the world. The humidity picks up a bit too, but it is probably not nearly as sticky as it is in Florida.

I grew up going to DL as a kid and we always went sometime in August because that is when we were out of school and my parents or grandparents could take us. We got there at 9 am and we'd leave at midnight most times. It was crowded, but with the exception of going to one Fantasmic show when I was 16 yrs. old we never watched the parades because that was the best time to go on rides. There was only one park at that time though. I will say that I would not want to do a marathon DL trip with kids, and honestly standing in line as a teenager didn't phase me much because I was with my friends to pass the time.

Weather wise temps in the summer will be as low as 75 and as high as 95, it might hit 100, but if it does then just realize that it might not be as crowded, but most of the locals will stay home.

As far as transportation goes I think that if I were on the east coast I'd probably stick with WDW, but if you really did want to come to So Cal, I'd do 2 to 3 days at DL, do a day in LA or San Diego (avoid the Safari Park though if it is hotter than 80 in Downtown San Diego), and or just spend some time at the beach (San Diego's Coronado Beach is beautiful, and super clean, as is Newport Beach; Laguna is suppose to be nice too, but I have never been).

kijip
06-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Being outdoors for a long time in Central Florida in the summer is physically intolerable for me. If you are going in the summer, go to DL for sure. I can't imagine paying $$ to go to WDW in the summer.

cntrymoon2
06-21-2012, 04:24 AM
Being outdoors for a long time in Central Florida in the summer is physically intolerable for me. If you are going in the summer, go to DL for sure. I can't imagine paying $$ to go to WDW in the summer.

I agree with this. I'm local and we don't even do outdoors activities before 6:30 or 7 pm in the summer. It's just so oppressive, heat exhaustion can happen in a matter of minutes. The exception to this is if it's rainy. We've had rain all week and the weather has been very bearable because of it.