PDA

View Full Version : Another bad Mother's Day

janine
05-13-2012, 04:12 PM
For background, last year I got zippo - so this year I suggested to DH that he reserve brunch and buy flowers (which we bought yesterday together...probably went on joint cc).

Woke up to everyone sleeping except the baby (6mo's) who is the only early riser. I see chilren playing gleefully outside on their lawns. .

By 11 am, my DD(age 3) and DH come downstairs and my DD decides it's a good time to pull a diva tantrum and refuses to give me my card. No biggie, she's 3...but it did hurt. Pretty much refused to say anything or do anything all day. So I call my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day -- but then she proceeds to lecture me on how I should treat my inlaws nicer (been having issues with IL's lately and they've pretty much been turning a cold shoulder to me and my kids) because it's "how you react, not act." Ok. Whatever, but why bring me down on Mother's Day? So now I'm upset and DD still giving me evil looks and not one thing special has been done. I then just tell dh to forget brunch (he made the resrevations so late only 3pm was available) and to take DD to the park since it's such a nice day. He yells at me and says it's my own fault and if it's a bad day, it's my own doing. So that's been my day!At least it's sunny!

Ceepa
05-13-2012, 04:24 PM
:hug: Can you get out for a little bit by yourself. Maybe get some indulgent drink or something new to read?

I hope everyone comes to their senses soon.

elephantmeg
05-13-2012, 04:28 PM
oh jeez, I'm so sorry!

crl
05-13-2012, 04:32 PM
:hug:

Catherine

elliput
05-13-2012, 04:33 PM
:hug::hug::hug: I get it. DH purchased an item off my amazon.com wish list which was intended to be a "household" purchase. Whatever. He'll get a equivalently thoughtful gift for Father's Day. :loveeyes:

My morning was spent telling DS to leave the dog alone, followed by a trip to the ER so he could get 3 stitches in his face.

ZeeBaby
05-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Ugh! That is why I hate these holidays. They are so hard when it doesnt all come together. DH let me sleep in late today until 8:30. Got up to take DD1 to swim class and she says she wants daddy to take her. I know she is 3.5 and doesn't really get it, but it still hurt. DD2 has been potty trained since December but has been regressing all week and pooped on the carpet lol. I am still rolling with it and enjoying the day. Sorry your day isn't going the way you wanted it to. :grouphug:

KLD313
05-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Men are selfish and clueless. My BF got me nothing, not even a card from the baby. He didn't even say happy mothers day because "you're not my mother". He cut the grass and changed my mom's brake pads, had dinner with us that I cooked on the grill and then he left to go ride his motorcycle with his friends. Plus, I'm pregnant and my back is killing me from cleaning the house all morning. He sucks!

mctlaw
05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Big:6: to your DH, Janine, and to your DBF, KLD313.

glbb35
05-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Ugh, totally understand and am sorry. Men are soooo clueless! DH's b-day was on MD so guess who's special day it was? Not mine! Instead I spent all day Saturday cleaning so my mom, my MIL (who never showed), a family friend and my sister's family could come and trash my house and leave a mess on Mother's Day. DH did not once say Happy Mother's Day and I did not receive one single thing! All I asked is that I could sleep in a little, read the paper (haven't read one in 6 months!) and drink my coffee without reheating it several times. Well The twins woke me up super early and I was tired from cleaning the say before, I haven't seen the paper yet and didn't drink coffee until after 4:30 in the afternoon. It was awash of a day and I too am sick of these stupid pseudo holidays.

We did swing by BIL's to wish him happy birthday (from last week but we had to drop off his card/gift) and they had friends over. The friend made a comment about how much she loved MD and how special and fortunate she is for it being "her day". I wanted to yell "suck it lady!" so badly. She asked how my day was going (I don't know her so she was just trying to make conversation) I told her it was DH's b-day which was obviously more important. She then proceeded to tell me what my day should have been. You don't think I know this? After rolling my eyes and holding back from wanting to slap her I smiled and said that MD/FD was made for people who don't' give a crap about their parents and once a year they have to send flowers. I have a great relationship with my mom and she is told on a regular basis how much she is loved and appreciated! It isn't done once a year!

Then I got in the car and told DH that he sucks!!! I told him FD is coming soon but I won't know as it is being erased off the calendar! My only sweet thing in the day? DS#1 actually wishing me Happy MD as soon as he saw me (although he forgot his school made project for MD and I found it in his book bag last night) and DS#2 who sweetly snuck in the room while I was pumping and brought me his sweet school made gift he really cared about and we shared the candy inside.He is the only one who really cared. Next year I have decided to get some girls together and go away for the day or the weekend.

Don't dwell on it anymore. Just know that your kids really do appreciate you it even when they don't show it. and that a lot of DH's totally suck. But kharma is a bitch and FD comes next! Putting MD before FD was brilliant!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and baby 7/11

janine
05-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone and glbb35 - your post made me laugh, especially the "suck it lady" comment you had in your head! Thanks for the laugh(s).

And yes karma is our friend with FD following MD, EXCEPT most of us will still do something for them since isn't that our nature (fool me 100 times, still shame on me!). Sometimes I wish FD was first so they'd see how it's SUPPOSED to be done and hopefully they'd retain the information for 3 wks at least. Although the blanket advertising across all forms of media for weeks before MD didn't spark any lightbulbs.

OH and today my boss (guy) asked what I did so I lied and said brunch and flowers. He said what no breakfast in bed? I said, well my kids are little..baby wakes up early. He said well that's why your husband TAKES the baby for that ONE day. Um's and err's was all I could say.

DrSally
05-14-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm so sorry. I totally know the feeling of just wanting one thing special on MD.

MamaMolly
05-14-2012, 06:45 PM
OH and today my boss (guy) asked what I did so I lied and said brunch and flowers. He said what no breakfast in bed? I said, well my kids are little..baby wakes up early. He said well that's why your husband TAKES the baby for that ONE day. Um's and err's was all I could say.

Babe, that's when you hand him the phone and say Guy to guy, would you PLEASE let my DH know how it should be done?