PDA

View Full Version : My husband lost his wedding band today....

Philoscript
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
The real pain of it is we know exactly where it is and can't get at it. It fell in the only hole that connects a radiator to the basement. We've tried shining a flashlight and can't even see it. We've tried using a vac to draw it out. No luck....He's flipping out and just in a bad mood now.

Nu_mama
05-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Magnet attached to a string?

TwinFoxes
05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
...or balled up duct tape attached to a string?

Philoscript
05-13-2012, 08:38 PM
The hole is too small for a magnet to fit or duct tape. We also noticed a wire in there, so we're not sure if it's a live wire of any sort. It's also a rental so we can't just lift floor boards either. I'm guessing it's just gone and we have to accept it.

kristenk
05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
How deep is the hole? How about attaching the vacuum to either a drinking straw or some sort of tubing? (You can seal the tubing to the vacuum hose with tape or something so that it has maximum suction.)

I've done it before to fish things out of tight openings. It works pretty well.

Fingers crossed that it works for you!

belovedgandp
05-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Good luck getting it back. It stinks. We too know that DH lost his somewhere on a kid soccer field two falls ago. He'd put it in his jacket pocket to do something with his hands right before we headed out and then it was gone. So frustrating.

infomama
05-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Put pantyhose on the end of a vacuum/ shopvac and suck that thing back up. Don't give up!

ahisma
05-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Maybe call a repairman? It's probably less expensive than replacing his ring.

DH lost his in the Pacific Ocean, surfing lessons in Maui. It was a really tough day - not made easier by the fact that the surfing lessons were a bust on top of it all.

I'm sorry. That stinks.

doberbrat
05-13-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm so sorry :(

there's this thing they sell at target in the 'as seen on tv section' its a flexible hose that attaches to any vac its $20 ish. Its meant to vaccume the dryer vent but its pretty small .... try that w/panty hose on the actual vaccum part (or not and you can just empty the bag.

if that doesnt work, I'd call your landlord and see what options are available to you.

Let us know if you can find it!

OKKiddo
05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm so sorry :(

there's this thing they sell at target in the 'as seen on tv section' its a flexible hose that attaches to any vac its $20 ish. Its meant to vaccume the dryer vent but its pretty small .... try that w/panty hose on the actual vaccum part (or not and you can just empty the bag.

if that doesnt work, I'd call your landlord and see what options are available to you.

Let us know if you can find it!

What she said...also I'd find one of those instruments that lets you see if there's a charge in the wire (blinks red and beeps if there is). You're right to not want to go fishing in a hole with a possible exposed live electrical wire.

ellies mom
05-14-2012, 06:03 PM
How deep is the hole? How about attaching the vacuum to either a drinking straw or some sort of tubing? (You can seal the tubing to the vacuum hose with tape or something so that it has maximum suction.)

I've done it before to fish things out of tight openings. It works pretty well.

Fingers crossed that it works for you!

We used to do this at work. You need a length of tubing, about 1/2" diameter. Then wrap paper towels or a wash cloth around one end and secure with duct tape to fill up the space in the vacuum hose.

You can also buy a grabber claw thing (http://www.amazon.com/MAXCRAFT-60184-Lighted-Magnetic-Pick-Up/dp/B0042D6H44/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337032798&sr=8-6). This one looks extra fancy because it has a magnet and a light. Wires don't usually worry me much but you could always wrap it with electrical tape for better piece of mind.