PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas to help DS get used to his shin guards

HIU8
05-13-2012, 09:23 PM
DS is VERY sensory sensitive. spd is a portion of his diagnosis. He is taking soccer. They need to wear shin guards. We tried a pair that were WAY to curved for him. Today we tried the shin guard sock. He tried it on in the store and said it was fine 2 days ago. Today he put it on in the car and immediately started saying the sock was to tight and he could not stand how it felt. He ended up playing today in sneakers without socks. We were at one point doing brushing. I wonder if that would help to desensitize him? I am open to any other suggestions though. I will be asking for some suggestions at his OT session this week.

FWIW, I remember as kid having issues with clothes on my skin (my issue centered around underwear). I do remember that the shin guards for soccer bothered me also, but I was able to somehow deal with it. DS is simply not able to at this point and wants me to help him so he can wear them.

niccig
05-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Another soccer mum suggested this to me.

1. long soccer sock (not team sock) that fits
2. shin guard
3 cut the foot off the team sock so it's now a tube, then slip that over the shin guard.

So you have sock underneath shin guard and sock above but only one sock is in the cleat. Maybe try this set up on different socks before cutting the team sock, just in case it doesn't work.

We had issues with the team sock being so big it felt awful on DS's feet when cleats were on.

If the sock is OK, then maybe he could wear the team sock, then shin guard then fold the top of the team sock over the top, normally they're pretty long, so you can do this. DS doesn't have any sensory issues, except with socks, they have to feel right on his feet and he also hated the feel of the shin guard on his bare legs and he's not the only kid to feel this way in our teams.