PDA

View Full Version : How old for the American Girl movies?

KrisM
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I have a few stashed away from deals over the years. DD is turning 6 soon. Is that old enough for the movies? I have Felicity, Samantha, Molly, and Kit.

lizzywednesday
05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Watch them first. I know it's hard to find the time, but I think that's the best way to gauge whether or not they'll be upsetting to your DD.

Personally, I'd hold off on the Kit movie 'til maybe 8 due to some of the plot points - hobos/prejudice, the Great Depression, etc. - and possibly the Samantha one (orphanages, separating families, etc.) if your DD is sensitive.

There's not much in the Felicity one that concerns me, but it's been a while since I've seen it. (I think there might be an angry mob at one point in addition to Penny's former owner, who is a cruel drunk, but more than that, I'd be able to handle explaining the action with everything else.)

I have no experience with the Molly movie, but it's my understanding that it might be a filmed version of her 6th storybook (Changes for Molly)... and that wouldn't leave me with any reservations. That story is probably the tamest of the group.

mnosky1
05-14-2012, 09:55 PM
My 4 year old loves the Felicity movie and has it just about memorized but of course she has an 8 year old sister who the movie was intended for. I think however that Jiggy Nye (can't remember spelling form the books?) would have scared my older daughter until after she had read the books, which was starting at about age 6.
Molly was pretty tame.
Chrissa is a good movie with a good message and i think better for younger girls.