PDA

View Full Version : Summer walking shoes help, please!

sarahsthreads
05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I need some help. All summer long I pretty much live in my Birkenstocks. (Except, if I have to "dress up" I also have a pair of Dansko sandals. Those are dressy, right?) I am about as fashionable as, well, someone who is very much not fashionable. When it comes to shoes, I am *all* about comfort.

However. DH signed me up for his office walking program, which just started yesterday. I'm discovering that while my Birks are comfy for just every day stuff, they're not so comfy for walking a mile or more on hard pavement every day. I can't bring myself to wear my Dansko clogs with socks and shorts. That's beyond even my ability to ignore fashion. ;)

I have largish feet (euro size 40) and a wide instep. What's a good brand to look at for some decent summer walking shoes? I like the look of some of the Keen sandals, but are they supportive and/or wide enough? I really prefer to not wear socks all summer long, and generally feel like sneakers are just too hot and confining, but I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks!
Sarah :)

ellies mom
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Keen's and Merrells are both comfortable for walking distances in. I would check out a store like "The Walking Company" or REI (or your equivalent) and see what other brands/styles they offer.

niccig
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Is it a walking program to get fit? I would want sneakers for walking any distance.

Gracemom
05-15-2012, 05:54 PM
I have Teva Tirra sandals and I love walking in them: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73569?pi=1150811&qs=3012739_g_shopping&subrnd=0
Very supportive and adjustable.

BayGirl2
05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I've been on this quest too lately!

Right now I have Teva sandals similar to those posted above but with a back strap. I just got a pair of Merrel's at the outlet http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/26458W/0/Womens/Lorelei-Emme?dimensions=0 , and have a couple other pairs on the way from ShoeBuy to try. I find if I'm really walking a long time for multiple days I need a different shoe every day. With a couple trips planned this summer plus daily walks to daycare I'm trying to switch it up.

However if this is a fitness walk and you're wearing workout clothes I'd just wear sneakers.

hillview
05-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I'd wear sneakers. I have a pair that are for triathalons and SO light and airy.
/hillary

sarahsthreads
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Keen's and Merrells are both comfortable for walking distances in. I would check out a store like "The Walking Company" or REI (or your equivalent) and see what other brands/styles they offer.

I do have a Walking Company store nearby, so I guess that would be a good place to start! Thanks!

sarahsthreads
05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Is it a walking program to get fit? I would want sneakers for walking any distance.

However if this is a fitness walk and you're wearing workout clothes I'd just wear sneakers.

I'd wear sneakers. I have a pair that are for triathalons and SO light and airy.

Keep in mind that most of these walks are with DD2, so we're walking at about 2 miles an hour. It took us 28 minutes to get through a mile this afternoon, because the poor kid takes about 5 steps to my 3, and our neighborhood is pretty hilly.

The program involves wearing a pedometer for 6 weeks and reporting the number of steps taken each day to a team leader, who tallies up the team total each week. It's not so much a fitness program as a number of steps competition. DH and I are on different teams, so there's incentive for me to take DD2 on extra walks when he's not home. (I seriously considered digging our Maclaren out of the basement so DD2 could ride and I could go farther and/or faster today!)

sarahsthreads
05-15-2012, 10:05 PM
I have Teva Tirra sandals and I love walking in them: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73569?pi=1150811&qs=3012739_g_shopping&subrnd=0
Very supportive and adjustable.

Those look cute! There's an LLBean store near the mall with the Walking Company, so that gives me some options!

Thanks!

sarahsthreads
05-15-2012, 10:08 PM
OK, so the need just became imminent. I was looking at my Birks just now and realized I've worn part of the sole down to the cork in the back. No wonder my feet are unhappy with me tonight.

Guess where DD2 and I are going walking tomorrow? Around the mall for shoes! (I HATE shoe shopping on the best of days, and shoe shopping with a 3.75 year old? God help me.)

katydid1971
05-15-2012, 10:18 PM
I walked all over Disneyland in my Keens. Basically non-stop from 7 am until 9 pm.
I have the Venice 2 in the Red multi-color and they go with a lot of things.
http://www.zappos.com/keen-venice-h2-petrol-twilight

tribe pride
05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I love my chacos. I have arch-support issues, and these are the best shoes I've found (besides sneakers) for my feat. Incredibly comfortable.

hellokitty
05-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I just went to TJ Maxx last night and fell in love with a pr of Merrell's vibram pace shoes. They are the, "barefoot" running shoes, but without the weird 5 toed look, that I have a hard time getting past. I didn't think I would like them, since I'm usually someone who prefers birks, regular merrells, keens and orthaheels, but I really liked the way they felt. So, I got them and tried them out this morning. They are comfy and I am wearing them w/o socks (they fit like a glove, but with a very roomy toe box. IDK if I will try running in them or not (really love my asic nimbus), BUT they are perfect for summer sneakers. I think that they fit your criteria of what you are looking for (walking shoe that isn't some sort of sandal that you can wear w/o socks). They do offer some arch support, which surprised me. Anyway, I had two ppl today stop me and ask me where I got my shoes, b/c they thought that they looked cute and comfy. This is the pair I got...

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-barefoot-pace-glove-crystal

They are fun looking shoes and I admit that they were a spur of the moment purchase, so I was relieved to read so many positive reviews on them when I came home last night after my purchase. I got them for $59.99 (knowing that these type of shoes usually run int he $100 range, so I felt this was a good chance to try them) at TJ Maxx and when I got them yesterday, the sales clerks were all very interested in the shoes saying that they just came in that day and were brand new on the shelf. Oh and IMO, they run a little bit small. I wear an 8.5 in asics, but got a 9 in these Merrells. My Merrell mocs are 9's too, but much roomier for socks. So, I would size a half size up if you want to try these. The 8.5 fit me ok, but felt a little snug.

sarahsthreads
05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
So I struck out on Keens. They seem OK once on, but they're *really* hard to tug over my wide foot. I had started out at a local shoe place that carries a ton of higher-end brands, but they're set up almost like an outlet and I didn't get a ton of help or advice.

I didn't want to walk out empty handed (like I said, I'm desperate for new walking shoes) so I wound up buying these Ryka sneakers (http://www.zappos.com/ryka-dash-metallic-lake-blue-chrome-silver-steel-grey-white). (I know, I said no sneakers.) In blue/gray, figuring I could wear them with jeans or jean shorts. They're light and meshy and feel good, and I think they'll be good for planned walks.

Then I went to the Walking Company and bought these Abeo sandals (http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/abeo-huntington-neutral-stone/18697), which I may or may not keep - they feel pretty good on, but I have only worn them indoors for a few minutes at a time and I'm terrified I'll walk outdoors for a while and discover that they don't really fit right, and then be stuck with a very expensive pair of sandals that I can't wear or return.

So, at least I have the sneaker option for now, and I'll keep randomly trying on the Abeo sandals and try to decide whether they'll work for me or not!