PDA

View Full Version : Well, this just SUCKS!

HIU8
05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
DD has a preschool completion ceremony in June. DS has a K-4 closing ceremony on the same day at the exact same time as DD's ceremony. DD and DS are at two different schools. I feel bad that DH and I are going to have to split up and one go to one and one go to the other. I don't feel bad for us, I feel bad for the kids (really bad, b/c I know they are both going to be devastated that both of us can't be at each event).

Staraglimmer
05-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Aww. That does suck. Sorry. At least they have two parents available though.

-Stephanie
Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
& a new addition due 7/1/12

khalloc
05-16-2012, 01:58 PM
That stinks. Last year when my DD had a pre-K graduation ceremony, there were about 8-10 kids. One little boy didnt have anyone who showed up for it. I felt really bad for him.

MoJo
05-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I feel like crying for your kids, but then I wondered, will most of the kids really have both of their parents there?

JellyBean's preschool ceremony is a week from tomorrow, but there's no way we could both get off work to attend. I only took time off because they said every child needed to have someone attend.

HIU8
05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Most of the kids in DD's pre-K class will have both parents there. Throughout the year, at the various celebrations, both parents have shown up (and I remember from DS's ceremony that both parents normally come). I'm not sure about DS's b/c it's our first yr at the school. DS is finishing up K. It looks as though they have an end of the yr and rising up ceremony for K-4. Either way, only one of us will be at each event b/c there is no other way to do it.

hellokitty
05-16-2012, 02:45 PM
That stinks. :( Is there any way, after each of their ceremonies that you can all meet up as a family for a meal or ice cream and celebrate that way? I don't think that the kids will really be as sensitive about this, but I can understand why you, as a parent feel disappointed.

HIU8
05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
That is DS's last day of school. He is let out at 10:30 am. DD still has a full day and then two days left of school. I think we may go out to dinner (kids choice) that evening as a way to celebrate both (and let each child see pictures of the other's event etc...).

lmwbasye
05-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Oh, it sucks. Happens to me all the time except without DH since he's always deployed/gone. I hate hate hate having to choose between the two and letting one of the kiddos down.

Hugs!

ellies mom
05-16-2012, 07:42 PM
That does suck. What I would probably do is split up like you are planning but then make a big deal about meeting up someplace fun afterwards for a family celebration. If you have to pull one or both kids out of the rest of the day, then so be it. Take videos/photos of the important bits and then share them with both kids. Hopefully, if you play up that part enough, the kids won't be too disappointed that both parents aren't there because they will be looking forward to the family stuff afterwards.