PDA

View Full Version : Want a new lightweight/umbrella stroller

mackmama
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
DC is 16mo, 23 pounds, and tall. I am unhappy with my 2010 GLuxe. It is tippy, the basket is too small, and I really don't like how the back of the seat moves when DC leans backward and forward. So what should I get? Here are my wants:

-as light as possible (definitely under 18 lbs)
-good basket
-seat back does not move with DC
-not tippy
-prefer some suspension on wheels
-one handed push
-comfortable seat for DC
-prefer a footrest
-can be umbrella or not

I do not need a reversible or a one-step fold.

Thanks!

Philly Mom
05-16-2012, 03:18 PM
A BJCM?? We have one that I use as my lightweight/travel stroller. We also have a Bee+. I find the BJCM to be light, easy to push and not tippy at all. I hang lots of bags off of it.

mackmama
05-16-2012, 03:19 PM
I think a BJCM is more stroller than I want. I'm hoping for something more compact I guess.

edurnemk
05-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Cybex Callisto or Onyx?

legaleagle
05-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Do you need a recline at all? Budget?

spannaz
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Well since you already had a bee+ (which is what I would have suggested ;)), how about the Uppa Cruz? Is that over 18lbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swissair81
05-16-2012, 04:52 PM
I also would have suggested a Bee. My Techno XT was pretty decent. The hood coverage was fabulous. It didn't tip like the lighter models do. I didn't use it much outside, but it certainly wasn't a bad push (unless there was snow). I think it's 17-18 lbs. The basket had enough room for me to transport DS and all his paraphernalia. Looking again I see you want a one handed push- maybe an Avio? I've heard nice things about those.

TwoBees
05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
The Britax Blink fills all those criteria but the one-handed push (the basket is decent).

mackmama
05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't need much of a recline. Yeh I already had the Bee. Not looking for anything that pricey.

swissair81
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
It's probably more tippy than you want, but if I wanted a cheaper umbrella, I would totally get the yellow submarine quest :D Or Al. We've been neglecting him lately.

mackmama
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
I forgot about Al. :) I'll check him out. Any others?

mackmama
05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
It's probably more tippy than you want, but if I wanted a cheaper umbrella, I would totally get the yellow submarine quest :D Or Al. We've been neglecting him lately.

I can't find the yellow Quest online. What is wrong with my searching skills today? :)

swissair81
05-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I can't find the yellow Quest online. What is wrong with my searching skills today? :)

http://www.diapers.com/p/maclaren-beatles-yellow-submarine-buggy-89703?site=CA&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_s&utm_term=MW-328&utm_campaign=amazon

the picture doesn't show it there, but the rain cover has bubbles and there is a reversible liner. It's so cute. Maybe you can find a better price- I just searched maclaren submarine quest and I got a page full of results.

mackmama
05-16-2012, 05:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Stroller-Beatles-Yellow-Submarine/dp/B0071CFI2K

Thank you!! :wink2:

Multimama
05-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Get one of the new Quests. I want someone to do a review. :)

Other than that I think everyone has already suggested everything i can think of. Maclaren Starck has lovely storage for an umbrella stroller, but I heard they are no longer available on Albee.

KonzaPrairie
05-16-2012, 08:51 PM
The Bumbleride Flite gets favorable reviews on amazon and I think it checks all your boxes. There was one on wayfair yesterday for $135 and I'm kind of wishing I would have snatched it up! Havent seen one in person though.

JessK87
05-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Maclaren XLR I LOVE mine. Its 15lbs but very easy to lift in and out of my trunk. It reclines all the way flat, has an amazing sunshade that covers baby completely, I love the push, and it is not tippy at all! (I hang a FULL skip hop diaper bag on the back with no issues.) I didnt like the buckle its difficult but i loved that my 4 year old nephew could not escape. The fold is much bigger then other maclarens but i like how sturdy it is. My hubby loves the adjustable handles. I got mine for a steal on gilt but i think i would pay full price for it now that i really do love it.

AnnieW625
05-19-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't think you need to pay $250+ for a Quest. I would suggest putting a full stainless water bottle in the basket of the GLuxe and that might help the tippy problem. I'd probably rec. the Maclaren Triumph, but it is quite similar to the Gluxe in weight, I believe.

I have a hard time believing that the Techno XLR weighs only 15lbs, I think it is closer to 18lbs. It is a great stroller, but it is not small and compact either so if you want that then the Techno will not fit the bill.

Multimama
05-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a hard time believing that the Techno XLR weighs only 15lbs, I think it is closer to 18lbs. It is a great stroller, but it is not small and compact either so if you want that then the Techno will not fit the bill.

:yeahthat: Strollerqueen weighed the Techno XT at 17 lbs, so I don't think it's possible the XLR is lighter since it is basically the same stroller except wider so it can accept a carseat/carrycot.

OP, I think the BJCM ticks all your boxes best. I know it's kind of a lot of stroller, but I think you need a bit more stroller if you want that extra stability and storage space over the G-luxe. Otherwise I agree with Annie that you could try to just weight the G-luxe either with something in the basket, with some SkipHop saddle bags or with some actual stroller weights.

JessK87
05-20-2012, 01:01 AM
oh really I thought it was lighter. It feels much lighter then 17+ pounds. My vote is still for the maclaren XLR. Added weight and all! ( i think she wants under 18 anyways so still a good option) I forgot to mention the basket is really big for an umbrella i can fit a whole large diaper bag in it but can't get to it if baby is reclined so thats why I hang it out the back. I've used the BJCM and the push is not as good as the XLR but the basket is better and I do like the one handed fold. I like the canopy of the BJCM i just don't like that my 3 year old charge head hits the canopy when it is folded back also she hates the canopy fully extended. I love the canopy on the XLR. I like that the XLR can be used with a VERY tall 4 year old with Plenty of room to grow. Did i mention I really like this stroller?

pastrygirl
05-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Micralite Fastfold? It's been on my list forever, and it's the one stroller I'd love to try before I'm all done.

legaleagle
05-20-2012, 09:07 PM
With the caveat that I've never seen either in person, how about the baby home emotion or valco snap? They're both 13 lbs and have good sized baskets.